Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIC (HIF) files and PS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After more than a year Photoshop still doesn't support Sony HEIC files. how come? 

It's a great format if you need to shoot more images than RAW will fit on the memorycard.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but those are for Windows, I'm on a Mac with MacOS which suport HIEC BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set your Camera Raw settings per the second link?
Note:

To open JPEG or .heic images into Camera Raw: In the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box, go to File Handling > JPEG, HEIC, and TIFF Handling and set either the following in the JPEG/HEIC field:

• Automatically open JPEGs and HEICs with settings: Open only JPEGs and HEIC images with raw processing in the metadata into Camera Raw
  • Automatically open all supported JPEGs and HEICs: Opens all JPEGs and HEIC images into Camera Raw 

To access Camera Raw Preferences, click the Open Preferences Dialog button in the Camera Raw dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All set but still no go, the sony HEIC filer has the name ending of .HIF and have existed for over a year by now.

Kind of sloppy of Adobe, an expensive profesional photo editing app to refuse to implement this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CekariYH Change the extension name from .HIF to .HEIF and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only diffrens from opening a .HIF with the .HIF extension renamed to .HEIf is that PS starts and:

Skärmavbild 2023-04-11 kl. 15.06.57.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's showing you renamed to HEIC - did you change to HEIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, took the wrong image, tried all extension I can think of and know about... pretty sure the extension is internal in the image-file....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd on the Sony forums that worked for other users. Wonder if the Mac is not allowing the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS allows you to change extension and the Mac can read and show the .HIF image files with no problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After more than a year Photoshop still doesn't support Sony HEIC files. how come? 

By @CekariYH

Just throwing out some thoughts, I'm not an Adobe employee and I am not privy to know why...

Define support. Is this read, or write or both read/write?

Does Sony offer an API for other developers?

If so, is the API free, does it have a one-off licensing cost or ongoing licensing costs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I try to edit the files in PS so they are read, I don't now any app that saves back in the RAW/HIF format... One saves in PSD or JPG most common but there are other formats to save as as well.

I have no idea about Sonys API at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CekariYH the issue at hand though is that you can't open the files in PS correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I try to edit the files in PS so they are read, I don't now any app that saves back in the RAW/HIF format... One saves in PSD or JPG most common but there are other formats to save as as well.

I have no idea about Sonys API at all.  

By @CekariYH

AFAIK, HEIC/HIF isn't a raw file format – it's rendered. However, as HEIC is a wrapper/container format I suppose it could contain either raw or rendered data. This is certainly the case for DNG, where it is synonymous with raw data but can also contain rendered data.

I didn't really expect you to know the answer to the API or licensing question, it was a question designed to get you thinking about your question. :]

Anyway, I don't know or understand why Adobe don't have the feature built-in as both a native read/write format, they should IMHO.

Edit: Add you vote at the following links –

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-heic-support/idi-p/12248752

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/export-to-heic-from-photoshop/idi-p/1236886...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the HIF isnt a real RAW format but the RAWs are 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have attempted to update the camera raw codecs in Photoshop and am having the same issue. If you have Lightroom you can import them there and then export them as JPEG or what ever format you prefer. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines