• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I rename a layer group or a layer with the same name using an action?

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have quite a bit projects which contain a layer group by the name "Cover" and I want to rename it to "Cover Group" using this action.
2.jpg

But into "Cover" layer group there is a layer with the same name. So when my action starts, instead of find and rename the layer group "Cover", renames the layer "Cover"!!!
1.jpg1a.jpg

Any idea how can I define my action so to rename the layer group and not the layer?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

You may need to script that, Script can use logic to process layersets and also  test the object kind that is targeted or currently active.  Layers can be addressed by the Layer ID which is unique where Name need not be unique. You can have many layers with the name cover,  In Actions it best to navigate layers relatively then by name.  Even that can be a problem for only visible layer will be targeted relatively. If you  want to do complex processing Scripting is your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to script that, Script can use logic to process layersets and also  test the object kind that is targeted or currently active.  Layers can be addressed by the Layer ID which is unique where Name need not be unique. You can have many layers with the name cover,  In Actions it best to navigate layers relatively then by name.  Even that can be a problem for only visible layer will be targeted relatively. If you  want to do complex processing Scripting is your best option.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As JJ mentioned, scripts are the way to go. Even with scripts, if you have two or more layers with the same name, you can run into issues. You can use a command to get a layer by name, but it will only find the first instance of that name. Unless you know the exact ID of the layer, you might need to loop through the layers to detect a match. In your case, checking to see it the layer is an art layer or a layer set. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#target photoshop

s2t = stringIDToTypeID;

renameGroup('Cover', 'Cover Group')

function renameGroup(from, to) {
    (ref = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('numberOfLayers'));
    ref.putEnumerated(s2t('document'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
    var len = executeActionGet(ref).getInteger(p);
    for (var i = 1; i <= len; i++) {
        (r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('layerSection'));
        r.putIndex(s2t('layer'), i);
        if (typeIDToStringID(executeActionGet(r).getEnumerationValue(p)) == 'layerSectionEnd') continue;

(r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('layerKind'));
        if (executeActionGet(r).getInteger(p) != 7) continue;

(ref = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('name'));
        ref.putIndex(s2t('layer'), i);
        if (executeActionGet(ref).getString(p).match(new RegExp(from, 'i'))) {
            (r = new ActionReference()).putIndex(s2t('layer'), i);
            (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('null'), r);
            (d1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putString(s2t('name'), to);
            d.putObject(s2t('to'), s2t('layer'), d1);
            executeAction(s2t('set'), d, DialogModes.NO);
        }
    }
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't seem to work ...

(ps2020)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need to select group before renaming? I have no 20 version to check

#target photoshop

s2t = stringIDToTypeID;

renameGroup('Cover', 'Cover Group')

function renameGroup(from, to) {
    (r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('numberOfLayers'));
    r.putEnumerated(s2t('document'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
    var len = executeActionGet(r).getInteger(p);
    for (var i = 1; i <= len; i++) {
        (r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('layerSection'));
        if (typeIDToStringID(executeActionGet(r).getEnumerationValue(p)) == 'layerSectionEnd') continue;

(r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('layerKind'));
        if (executeActionGet(r).getInteger(p) != 7) continue;

(r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('name'));
        if (executeActionGet(r).getString(p).match(new RegExp(from, 'i'))) {
            (r = new ActionReference()).putIndex(s2t("layer"), i);
            (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t("null"), r);
            executeAction(s2t("select"), d, DialogModes.NO);

(r = new ActionReference()).putEnumerated(s2t('layer'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
            (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('null'), r);
            (d1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putString(s2t('name'), to);
            d.putObject(s2t('to'), s2t('layer'), d1);
            executeAction(s2t('set'), d, DialogModes.NO);
        }
    }
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to given scenario you may use below script:

aD.activeLayer = (aD = activeDocument).layerSets.getByName('Cover')

or directly rename it (so without selecting):

activeDocument.layerSets.getByName('Cover').name += ' Group'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select layer Cover

rename CoverTmp

select layer Cover

rename CoverGroup

select layer CoverTmp

rename Cover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll, I had earlier to suggest exaclty same workaround, but then thought, nah, too nasty 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is "nah" ? : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's english slang - antitype for yeah 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Russian, the meaning is about the same, but this is an obscene vocabulary 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, not obscene in the U.S., at least, as far as I know. But then there are a lot of crazies getting upset at all sorts of our words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, I recently found on this forum this problem the US deals with (how ever it seems for many it's positive). That was few days ago in InDesign community where one commonly used M-word was banned from 2022 edition.

I am happy to see not all world goes crazy, and r-bin with jazz-y smiled after I unconsciously used a word of that type. Although we have access to global environment via internet, perhpas the reason we are not affected by that trend, is we live in countries on other part of planet, where laugh is more valued than wrath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the relative position of the layers in all documents is the same, then you can use the commands for moving along the layers palette to select the desired element, for example: 

2021-11-03_00-43-14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea stolen from my mind! How were you able to take it over so fast?

Actually I was close. I missed out collapsing grups and it doesn't work for invisible layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There can be a problem Targeting layers relatively in Actions.  Select Front, Back, Forward, Backward layer.  Only select visible layer you can not select layers that have the visibility turned off.  So which layer be be select can change. There is a dependency on the layers visibility state.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines