• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a .ico file in Photoshop CS6?

Participant ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use a plugin in previous versions, but the file formats sub-directory is missing from the plugins directory. See screenshot :

Surely this should be possible in CS6 (extended even) straight out of the box given that every web developer on the planet needs to make loads of these ...

2012-05-29_1313.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

For OSX just place your "ICOFormat.plugin" file in the folder here: Adobe Photoshop CS6 / Plug-Ins  Then restart PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this in OSX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For OSX just place your "ICOFormat.plugin" file in the folder here: Adobe Photoshop CS6 / Plug-Ins  Then restart PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer to this question.

I have put an .ICO plugin into the panels folder under plugins in CS6 for OSX 10.8 and it is not registering. How do you get this plugin to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kastnick, what plug-in did you put there?  Is it 64 bit Photoshop CS6-compatible?

Maybe I didn't write it plainly enough:

For Macintosh, Photoshop CS6 can only use 64 bit plug-ins.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snarky details don't help people. You still didn't provide an answer. Where can I get a 64 bit CS6 plug-in for .ICO? Based on my web research, one doesn't exist yet, which means if you upgrade to CS6, you cannot create favicons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Mac users that may well be true.  Where is it written that every question must have a positive answer?

My response was not snarky, it answered your specific question.  Snarky would be to tell you to go get a PC, where compatibility with older software is more highly prized and expected, but I didn't do that.

Just so it's clear, I'm just another Photoshop user.  Honestly, if I knew of a source for 64 bit icon format plug-ins for you I'd point you to it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this one work in CS6 64 on a Mac? Under the link for Mac CS5 it says Mac CS5, CS6, so maybe it will:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the one I used and it didn't take. I put it under the panels folder in plugins.

I looked around for another folder to put it in, but none seemed fitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a PC person so can’t look inside the DMG file. Is there an explicitly 64-bit version of the Mac CS5 plug-in in it or not?

You might try to contact the plug-in author using the Help link next to the download link and see if they respond and can confirm the plug-in works with CS6 as suggested by the download link caption, but nowhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put it in the plug-ins folder (up one level from the panels) and it worked... (on a Mac OSX 10.7.  I did have to restart Photoshop for it to take effect.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Mac OS X 10.8+ and just downloaded CS6. I added that file format plugin to the plugins folder and was able to get it to work. I was also able to get it to work if I nested it in the plugins folder under another folder named File Formats. Remember, it won't show these file formats if the SIZE is too big. I believe it has to be under 260px X 260px (recommended 64x64 or smaller) in order to be a favicon img... or something close to that. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyler's correct. Works on 10.6.8 and CS6, too - but 256px * 256px is the limit. you won't be able to use any bigger size as an icon in windows, anyways. Simply put http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat in the plug-ins folder within the Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ludwig, I am running CS6 on XP Pro SP3, followed the http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat#icoformat link you provided, downloaded the proper file for my comp, actually read the installation directions, and had my first ICO file created and up on my site in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a link to an actual free ICO plugin to be able to install!

I tried this one but it seems a dud.

Help

http://download.cnet.com/Icon-Plugin-for-PhotoShop/3000-2195_4-10587858.html - did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys... It's right you should put it in Plug-ins folder which is directly under Photoshop CS6 folder. If it didn't show up just restart photoshop while holding ctrl+alt+shift and that will set Photoshop preferences and you will see the option "ICO (Windows Icon) (*.ICO)" under "save to".

Note: you must have a square image with maximum 256*256 resolution to see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third party plugins should NOT be in the required folder.

That's what the normal plugins folder is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited:

I downloaded the latest plugin for Mac CS5 from http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat

and it works fine in Mac PS CS5.1 and CS6. (I must have been using an older plugin earlier.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works if you just put it in the Plugins folder.

Windows Photoshop CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only have to set the picture to 8 Bit mode!

In 16 or 32 Bit it won't work and you won't be able to see the save option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just Save to Web as an 8-bit PNG file, then rename the file extension to ".ico"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people who still can not get it to work: you have to convert to RGB color, otherwise you won't see the .ico in the save list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read this thread today to try and place the .ICO plugin in the plugins folder.

It didn't work for me either. However.... I found for some reason when I installed CS6 on to my 64bit PC.... it has installed it in two different places.

The first place I tried was in the [Progam Files x86] - seems the right place...right?  Not so, for some reason.

Whereas... I found a Photoshop CS6 file in [Program Files] folder too. Popped the plugin in there.... and it worked.

Not sure why I have two installs...? but hey it works.

Cheers to those with useful comments.

#rolleyes at those who didn't.

Thanks folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines