• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a field of dots that clusters tighter together toward the center

Explorer ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to build a very specific texture in Photoshop, and I'm a little stumped. Anyone know if this is possible?

I want a field of dots that meets these 4 criteria:

1. Dots are packed together tighter toward the center and looser toward the edges
  2. Dots don't overlap
  3. Dots are not distorted into ovals (as would happen if I use Distort filters to spread them out)
  4. Dots are in a semi-random organic pattern
  5. Dots are all the same size [EDIT: Added this. Forgot to put this in originally—apologies.]

I can do this in Illustrator with the Symbol Sprayer tool up to a certain point (see attached image), but then the program slows to a crawl. I need something I can do on a much larger scale.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Experiment , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

You could try the free Comic Kit plugin on Adobe Exchange (https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/13159).

After you install it, do the following

1. Choose Edit > Fill
2. Choose Content: Pattern
3. Check the check box next to Script: under Options
4. Choose Screen_Pattern_ex from the script dropdown menu
5. Click OK

2024-05-01_14-19-58.jpg

Then in the Screen Pattern dialog, select the following:

1.  In the Basic tab, set Pattern Gradation to Radial
  2. Increase the Randomize Patterns amount as desired
  3. Modify the other settings a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

There is a program you can download called StippleGen, which generates points using Voronoi diagrams. If you run it on a radial gradient, you get something like so:

StipDot.png

The result is saved as an SVG file. You can open it in Photoshop,but the paths for the individual points have a stroke but no fill, and can have little hollow white dots in their centers. If you open the file in a Vector editor like Illustrator, you can add fills and remove the strokes, and then copy and paste as a Shape into Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try the free Comic Kit plugin on Adobe Exchange (https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/13159).

After you install it, do the following

1. Choose Edit > Fill
2. Choose Content: Pattern
3. Check the check box next to Script: under Options
4. Choose Screen_Pattern_ex from the script dropdown menu
5. Click OK

2024-05-01_14-19-58.jpg

Then in the Screen Pattern dialog, select the following:

1.  In the Basic tab, set Pattern Gradation to Radial
  2. Increase the Randomize Patterns amount as desired
  3. Modify the other settings as desired
  4. Click OK

2024-05-01_14-20-33.jpg

You may need to test various settings to make the dots not overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great reply @Myra Ferguson !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Myra Ferguson. This is a cool plugin.

I'm realizing that I failed to list a 5th criteria, "Dots are all the same size." My mistake! Your answer is the perfect solution to what I originally asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. If it worked, you can mark it as a Correct Answer in addition to Semaphoric's solution so that others with the same question can also find it. Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yes, done, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a program you can download called StippleGen, which generates points using Voronoi diagrams. If you run it on a radial gradient, you get something like so:

StipDot.png

The result is saved as an SVG file. You can open it in Photoshop,but the paths for the individual points have a stroke but no fill, and can have little hollow white dots in their centers. If you open the file in a Vector editor like Illustrator, you can add fills and remove the strokes, and then copy and paste as a Shape into Photoshop (as I did here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Semaphoric â€“ thanks, you saved me the work of finding the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing this in a vector program would be better than Photoshop, since each dot is an object, and there are commands like "Transform Each". 

Another possibility for the OP could be some sort of Phylotaxis type pattern, like in the center of a daisy. There were a few extensive discussions about achieving this on the Illustrator Forum several years ago. I've done it to a limited degree in Photoshop, but it's hit or miss to set up for good results, and the elements get smaller towards the center, which is not desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. I just searched the Illustrator forum for "phylotaxis" with no results. If I get stumped here, I will start a new post over there. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try searching for "Daisy Challenge". I shoul note I came across that discussion via a Web search, not from searching the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result is saved as an SVG file. You can open it in Photoshop,but the paths for the individual points have a stroke but no fill, and can have little hollow white dots in their centers.

By @Semaphoric

Without access to vector tools, I'm sure that a hack such as duping the layer, applying the Minimum filter at the desired radius to expand and then the Maximum filter at a larger radius to contract smaller than the edges would work to fill in the centres.

I don't know SVG coding, however, it should also be possible to add the fill directly with a multiple find/replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried these filters (new to me), and they work exactly as you described. Great tip, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing—what a find! This worked like a charm the first time. Thank you!

(What a strange interface this program has!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ImageJ can do this natively as well.

https://imagej.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines