• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to have Adjustment Layer Target only One Layer ?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone can please tell me if I have these layers in my project as shown in the attached Picture and if I have changed the background of a subject and now if I want to make changes with regards to highlights and shadows of only the subject not the entire image. 

If I add the adjustment layer where do I need to place it ? so that it only makes changes to the subject and not the background colour ?

Can someone please tell me ?

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done with a clipping mask. 

Insert a adjustment layer above the appropriate layer and make it to a clipping mask. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/revealing-layers-clipping-masks.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWplm5X-lU&ab_channel=EnvatoTuts%2B

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done with a clipping mask. 

Insert a adjustment layer above the appropriate layer and make it to a clipping mask. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/revealing-layers-clipping-masks.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWplm5X-lU&ab_channel=EnvatoTuts%2B

By @AxelMatt

So with regards to the Layers I have in my Image Link. both look the same to me I dont know which is the Target Layer ? in this case what do I do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Layers panel. Place the adjustment layer directly above the layer you want it to affect (that's the "target layer" btw). Then place the cursor on the line separating the two layers, and alt-click. A small angled arrow appears, showing that the layer is now clipped to the underlying layer.

That's the shortcut. There are menu items to do it too, but I always use the alt-click method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Layers panel. Place the adjustment layer directly above the layer you want it to affect (that's the "target layer" btw). Then place the cursor on the line separating the two layers, and alt-click. A small angled arrow appears, showing that the layer is now clipped to the underlying layer.

That's the shortcut. There are menu items to do it too, but I always use the alt-click method.

By @D Fosse

Hi ! Thanks for your reply. But you know that is what I am confused about to bevin with. With the example in the photo of my layer panel that I have posted in my first comment. Both layer look the same to me so I don't know on top of which layer should I put the adjustment layer ? Both look the same ? Can you please have a look at that photo I have shared of my layers panel and then tell me ?

Also to give you a history of what I did was I selected the subject and in refine tool selected New Layer with Mask and that's how I got two similar looking layers. Now I don't know on top of which layer should I keep the adjustment layer ? Can you now tell me based on my history of what I have dine in this project that where should I put the adjustment layer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have to delete (or deactivate) the highest layer. Then insert a adjustment layer above the appropriate layer and make it to a clipping mask. 

2021-07-28 09_05_01-Window.png

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AxelMatt wrote:

Once you have to delete (or deactivate) the highest layer. Then insert a adjustment layer above the appropriate layer and make it to a clipping mask. 

2021-07-28 09_05_01-Window.png

But if I am deleting the Top Layer as you suggest, my subject disappears from the gradient fill background that I have created and I only see a plain background image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my mistake.  I was wrong. I've read your original post again.

You've wrote: "...so that it only makes changes to the subject and not the background colour ?..." 

I've check the attached screenshot again and I've see no difference between the lowest and the highest layer.

What kind of effect should the middle layer have?

At the moment I don't quite understand what you want achieve with this layer contruct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my mistake.  I was wrong. I've read your original post again.

You've wrote: "...so that it only makes changes to the subject and not the background colour ?..." 

I've check the attached screenshot again and I've see no difference between the lowest and the highest layer.

What kind of effect should the middle layer have?

At the moment I don't quite understand what you want achieve with this layer contruct.

By @AxelMatt

I made a Selection and Did a New Layer with Mask and then using the Bucket Colur tool, coloured the Mask. So the other layer just came on its own, I have no idea how and why did it come there ? All I was trying to do was have my subject post against a colured background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-07-28 082514.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-07-28 082514.jpg

By @edgrimley

Ok let me try this then, Have one Layer of my Masked Layer have the Colour Background Layer below it and have the Adjustment Layer Unclipped at the Top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your adjusment layer is actually clipped...

Here is a short video on creating clipping masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNMWabDLvRA

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines