• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resize an image while maintaining its aspect ratio without pressing Shift

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem: Today I'm sitting inside a project and I insert an image in a new layer, I take my mouse to drag the image to make it bigger. Usually when I do this, the image I'm expanding will expand while maintaining its proportions (ex: If it's a square image, it will stay as a square as I drag its corners to make it bigger) however now, I go to grab a corner and expand it and the image doesn't maintain its proportions and becomes distorted. I now have to hold shift down while dragging for the image to maintain its proportions.

If there's some kind of setting that'll allow me to go revert back to how it used to be, that'd be great. If possible I'd rather not have to hold shift down everytime I want to expand an image/make an image larger withoit its aspect ratio being affected. I'm just not used to it and its just another extra button I have to press.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

In addition to the preference setting, whenever you use Edit > Free Transform you can switch this at any time using the Maintain Aspect Ratio option. If Maintain Aspect Ratio is enabled, dragging a handle scales proportionally, and you hold Shift for disproportionate scaling. Disabling Maintain Aspect Ratio swaps the behavior: Dragging a handle scales disproportionally, and you hold Shift for proportional scaling.

Photoshop Transform Maintain Aspect Ratio.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > General and Uncheck Enable Legacy Free Transform

Historically the default has always been to press Shift to maintain the aspect ratio. Without warning, during CC 2019, Adobe boldly reversed the old default behaviour.

There was an outcry from veteran Photoshop users about the new default of not pressing Shift. So the new preference was introduced by Adobe to give us the choice to set the default to Shift or Not Shift. Sounds like you prefer the new behaviour of not pressing Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was another post earlier today (NZ time) from someone who thought ths shift key interaction with aspect ratio had gone back to legacy.  Makes you wonder if something is going on with defaults.  Preferences wouldn't change with a minor update though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For sure it has gone back to legacy.

But I like the way that it maintains the aspect ratio during resizing without pressing the shift key.

How do I get back to the last way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the preference setting, whenever you use Edit > Free Transform you can switch this at any time using the Maintain Aspect Ratio option. If Maintain Aspect Ratio is enabled, dragging a handle scales proportionally, and you hold Shift for disproportionate scaling. Disabling Maintain Aspect Ratio swaps the behavior: Dragging a handle scales disproportionally, and you hold Shift for proportional scaling.

Photoshop Transform Maintain Aspect Ratio.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad! That link icon to maintain the aspect ratio was turned off on my end. I got it all fixed now, appreciate the visual + response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines