Exit

Images disappear when attempting to crop

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks -

Here's the problem for today:

I've got a PC with 12 GB of memory, 9 allocated to PS CS5.

A Radeon 5970 video card with 2GB on-board memory.... although CS5 might only accept 1GB.

I open 30 files about 200K each, which would put total usage around 6 MB total... let's say 7MB to add a little buffer.

I could process the  first 10-12 files.  I was just cropping each image to what I needed to do. Nothing was standard, so an action or some other automated process was not a viable option.

After each crop, I would save the image and close it out.

About the 13-14 image, as I was starting to crop, the image would just disappear completely so I couldn't crop the image at all.

All video drivers and Adobe updates are installed.

I could close the program and restart it, and it worked fine. But I shouldn't have to do that.

Does anybody know what was happening?

Thanks,

Doug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Reset the tool. Select the tool from the toolbar. After that, go up to the crop icon top left and left click to get the dropdown menu and click reset tool. Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you've read through this thread, then, you've also checked to ensure all the Crop Tool options boxes are clear?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but I have NVIDA drivers.

I have several images open and after several crops the images of anything I have open dissapear and I can't get them back unless I reboot Photoshop.

I have Windows XP and CS5

Any word from Tech support how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post number 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really a very useful answer for supprt staff when others have said this doesn't help.

I still cannot turn on full acceleration and I now have a Radeon 7850 with the latest drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD's 12.10 and 12.11 beta drivers have some regressions.

You probably want to use the 12.8 drivers (last stable version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thank you for your assistance. It reminded me to get the lastest drivers from NVIDIA and I have now installed them.

If this makes a difference I will report back.  I am not sure how to "simulate" or recreate the failure, but it happened fairly often.

I will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, of course, make sure you have the latest Photoshop updates installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Was stuck with the same problem with a long time but suddenly I noticed that there was a 1px in width as in picture below as i select the crop option. Please remove that and try it.
Thanks me Later.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this trouble in CS3 - clearing the 1px from the field worked.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and clearing 1 px worked! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem!!!! Adobe has lost their damn minds! I'm sitting here trying to crop a photo of a screen shot of Premiere crashing so I can show how it's not working and I need to crop the second monitor out of the image and every time i try to crop the image would disappear!!!!!!

Finally I selected "clear" and it worked as it intuitively should/used to. It was very frustrating because I'm already pissed that premiere isn't working and then this curve ball

2015-12-21-(1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset the tool. Select the tool from the toolbar. After that, go up to the crop icon top left and left click to get the dropdown menu and click reset tool. Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why this happens is this some sadistic joke? This should not be an issue I have to look up like this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to illustrate your exact problem? 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer as it worked for me. I'm just off the forum having searched and found my self  (I think) the answer to stamp not cloning on certain parts of the layer (just lasso it and cut it off then it worked?)... Then my cropping made the pic go!

I'm usin CS4 and I had to  R click, not left to get the reset tool. But it did work for me thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was driving me mad. Now it seems OK, thank you very much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know one can reply via email! Let see if it works...
I seem to remember the fix was to reset the tool. For me R click the tool
when it appears on top left. But why it happens is still a mystery for me

--
Regards, M Munier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me.  When I use the crop tool, and the image is 66% or bigger when I rotate the image, the image falls apart and does not keep its integirty.  I see the checkerboard creep into the photo every time - even after I followed your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me too. I can't find a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply *crop guide overlay:  rules of thirds* on the top its tweakings, the target image may disappears. Apply : *none or grid * instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines