• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improve low-resolution images: how to quickly clean the edges of objects?

Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching for a simple and fast method (eg. through a filter) to convert low-resolution images objects' edges...

Hair apart, this is what I am searching for (simply a clean line, without fake sharpen/contrast effects):

goal.png

Note: in this example, I am using a portion of a face but I am searching for something that works on any kind of object (a dress, a table a leg, etc.).

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Your expectation is unrealistic. 

In the images you posted it is obviously impossible to recreate the individual pieces of hair that form a »solid« strand in the lores image from that. (Unless you are speaking about a layered lores image in which the original image is embedded as a Smart Object, but I wouldn’t expect you do.) 

Screenshot 2022-05-27 at 12.19.59.png

You could check out Topaz Gigapixel, in some cases it might produce better results than Photoshop’s resampling methods. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the new Neural Filter for JPG Artifact Removal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the new Neural Filter for JPG Artifact Removal?

By @kevin stohlmeyer

I've tried it, and I was actually very impressed. It absolutely works as advertised, and it will also remove some of the halos you can see here, which is specifically a jpeg compression artifact (not sharpening artifact).

But a one-click automatic solution to get perfectly crisp edges (like the examples) is IMO unrealistic. I would expect some further filtering to be required here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but that is not exactly what I am searching for, I am searching for something like a total redraw of the line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We understand your concern and are here to help.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? As you know, Photoshop is very powerful software; there are hopes to get the picture back in form.

There are different tools and procedures to do it. I am listing a few youtube tutorials below; please have a look;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXT2mMr-IU  (For 2 colors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWAtYPMqPkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxd39KNS6k

Let us know if this helps.

Regards

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I have already seen them, I am searching for something like a total redraw of the line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your expectation is unrealistic. 

In the images you posted it is obviously impossible to recreate the individual pieces of hair that form a »solid« strand in the lores image from that. (Unless you are speaking about a layered lores image in which the original image is embedded as a Smart Object, but I wouldn’t expect you do.) 

Screenshot 2022-05-27 at 12.19.59.png

You could check out Topaz Gigapixel, in some cases it might produce better results than Photoshop’s resampling methods. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, maybe topaz could be the right solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think they recently released some facial reconstruction feature … but bear in mind: If an application creates detail for hair, eyelashes, irises etc. that is simply not present in the source image then the resulting image should be considered more like a painting than a photograph. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines