Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layer mask thumbnail only shows mask-icon

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2023, 24.7.0. Mac OS 13.4.1

When I create a layer with a layer mask, I only see a mask-icon in the thumbnail, not the changes I made to the layer.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

@verak5595173 click on the flyout menu for the layer panel options and select Panel Options, from there change the Thumbnail size

2023-08-10 09_08_36-Window.png

2023-08-10 09_09_07-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Hi all - happy to announce this feature was added in the latest public update 25.2. Upgrade your Photoshop 2024 and you can find the option in the Layers Panel menu. Bonus - it was off by default after upgrading.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1701125663563.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@verak5595173 click on the flyout menu for the layer panel options and select Panel Options, from there change the Thumbnail size

2023-08-10 09_08_36-Window.png

2023-08-10 09_09_07-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this be labeled a "correct answer" when the icon still obscures part of the mask? Granted, it's a smaller portion of the larger thumbnail, but the issue is not "solved." The only actual solution is to provide a way to disable the icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adpremxxx the layer mask icon that you're referring too was released in version 25.1, the OP was using version 24.7 and the answer that I provided is still the correct answer for the issue the OP had at that time.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/layer-mask-icons-in-25-1/m-p/14186617

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately now, the layer mask icon obscures a good part of the thumbnail at the small size. It was very useful to me to see all of the thumbnail when scanning through layers. I would hope there would be a way to turn this off, and the vector mask icon as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Janduza not sure why Adobe decided to push out this option out without the ability to turn it off, but you will be able to disable it in a future release

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/layer-mask-icons-in-25-1/m-p/14186617

2023-10-26 09_43_18-Re_ Layer Mask Icons in 25.1 - Adobe Community - 14150232 — Mozilla Firefox.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this ability to disable the layer mask badging will be moved to prod very soon. I don't use beta and am finding the badges to be highly annoying because I can't see the full mask thumbnail. This is NOT a workflow enhancement, it is a workflow degradation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just wasted a half hour searching for what is unfortunately this non-answer. I'm totally with you on this one adprexxx. 

That's Pete Green for the tip about the beta. I don't typically work with the beta, but I'm likely going to get that just to eliminate the icon.

Adobe, after all these decades of Photoshop did someone ask you to obscure their layer mask thumbnails? How could think this was a good idea to add something that everyone is going to have to search to figure out how to turn it off? Sorry, but I simply don't understand the logic behind this or what you are trying to achieve here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more! very annoying and doesn't make any sense. Please make this thing optional!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, can you fix this in the main version ASAP this makes photoshop unusable. A beta version fix is not good enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - happy to announce this feature was added in the latest public update 25.2. Upgrade your Photoshop 2024 and you can find the option in the Layers Panel menu. Bonus - it was off by default after upgrading.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1701125663563.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news! Do we know when this will be available as an update for 25.1 users? It is not yet being offered as of this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it takes time for the update to replicate all over the world. 

I'd restart the CC application, and click the check for updates button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I decided to roll back to ver 24.7, but have been checking daily for an update since then. No sign of it yet. I'll check again later today.

Very pleased to hear this has been addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines