• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Thumbnails

Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently noticed that some layer thumbnails no longer represent the contents of the layer. Sometimes the thumbnails are solid black, even when the pixel content has only partial coverage in the entire image. I have noticed more unhelpful UI changes in recent iterations than in many years of Photoshop evolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering the same thing. Also wondering what size thumbnails they are using in the layers panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FauxtoGuy 

My first thought is that thumbs might be set to Layer Bounds in the Layers Panel Options.  I don't know of anyone who works this way as it could get confusing, but I can see that it might well fit what you are describing.

If you have plenty of screen space, then it makes sense to use Large Thumbs.  The only times I use smaller thumbs is when making frame animations with a lot of frames and layers, and when I need to get a screen shot of lots of layers to paste to a forum thread.  I use three screens, and have the periphery screens in Portrait mode.  That allows for a very tall layers panel. [1]

It's worth noting that if this is what is going on, then a Preferences reset would have fixed it.  I am always loath to suggest resetting preferences until all else has failed, as it annoys me so much when I have to reset my own Preferences.

[1]  Now I am not 100% on this, but I thought I had my layers panel as tall as was possible, which was about 1600 pixels.  Other panels like History, also had a height limit.  But while experiment to answer this post, I discovered that all the major panels will now expand the full 1920 pixel height of my workspace, so I shall be rethinking my custom workspaces.  I wonder when this change occurred, or if I am just going crazy?

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues. I checked layer panel options, Layer Bounds is unchecked. Any other thoughts?artifacts.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever figure out a fix for this thumbnail problem. Whenever I copy and paste an .ai file with a transparent background into Photoshop, the thumbnail shows it with a black background. It kinda makes the thumbnails useless. The problem started with Photoshop CC2019 and continues with CC2020.

Black background in thumbnail.jpgPhotoshop problem 2.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have this problem just for RGB? CMYK seem ok, but I need to work in rgb. Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I solved it. It has to do with Preferences > Transparency & Gamut. If you choose None, the thumbnail problems appear (Right below). Instead, I choose Grid Size Medium, and choose both colors to be white. (Left below)

Examplethumbnails.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You rock Carol. That has been going on for a long time for me. You fixed it instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines