Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects not working

New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10.

Ever since I updated to 22.4.1, my Render > Lighting Effects isn't working. There's no guide to move the light and I keep getting two baffling errors.

The first error insists that "Use Graphics Processor" should be checked... It is checked. I've even unchecked and rechecked it.

FG74udT.png

The second error insists I don't have enough RAM... I have 32 gigs of RAM.

bbo9b9s.png

When those two errors pop up it outright refuses to open the Lighting Effects workspace altogether but sometimes it WILL open it... only I won't be able to make any changes on the image. It'll show that there's some kind of spotlight out but there's no way to move it and the sliders do nothing to change it.

GWDFMRZ.png

Repair attempts I've made:

1 - I've made sure that my video card driver is up to date. It is.

2 - I've selected View > Show > All to see if the UI was hidden. The controls still refuse to show up and the sliders still don't work. They move, but the light doesn't actually change.

3 - I've uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop altogether. Still getting the errors and inability to manipulate the spotlight in any way.

I am a graphic designer that uses photoshop practically daily. I took a couple days for myself and when I came back it updated to 22.4.1 and now this is happening. Please help, I need to be able to use lighting effects for my job!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Hi

Try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2021-05-20 09_59_13-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2021-05-20 09_59_13-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that seems to have done it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me also. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So happy I found this! Was having the same problem and couldn't get it fixed. Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you also.  I was having the same problem for a long time and this fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this has done is grey out lighting effects. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I am using Mac with Big Sur 11.3.1 with an intel chip Macbook Pro 16" 6 core with 32gb Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the same for me--greyed out Lighting Effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up testing to see if anything works!!  Should be Adobe's job before they release a new version.

Summary: Reinstalled 3 times, checked that Deactivate Native Canvas flag - the filter works once then go back to re-edit same image or a new image, and the effect doesn't function properly. Tried resetting Preferences, still no luck. Enough is enough!! Previous version I guess 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anone get the bottom of fixing this issue with Lighting effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with this, as well, having to install previous versions. However, with the 22.4.3 release by  checking Deactivate Native Canvas in Preferences > Technology Previews and having the Graphics Processor turned on with Normal under the advanced setting with both options checked there,  Lighting Effects is working again--at least for the time being!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution fixed my problems... Thanks so much... Lighting Effects are one of my favorite in Photoshop CC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was your fix done on a Mac or Windows? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was on Windows 10 if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's It!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad this worked for some, but all it did for me was enable me to see the lighting effects workspace (all I previously saw was either solid black or white with a few horizontal lines, revealing the image beneath). I have no way of manipulating the lights - there's no white boundary lines nor nodes for dragging. There's just the image. I can adjust the intensity of the lights on the side sliders, but nothing else. Completely useless. Brand new iMac, loads of RAM - same problem as my six year-old iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you found the way to fix this? Still struggling with exact same problem. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t buy MACs – the most over-rated, slow, inferior crap by the most crooked
gadget-company In the world.

Klaus Rossler
krtemp-online@outlook.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Thankyou from me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, your suggestion helped a lot! 
In addition to this, I had to enable [View > Show > All] to make the control handles visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines