• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft Edge WebView2

Participant ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why there are seven instances of Microsoft Edge WebView2 running alongside Photoshop 2022?  I hope I've solved the freezing/crashing issue but Psd is still running sluggishly and  I would still like to know about this change.

I'm looking at Task Manager on Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (updated just a few days ago).

Thanks, Sidney

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 134 Replies 134
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sidneydavenport 

Microsoft Edge Webview2 is not an Adobe product:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/

Try Microsoft support for Webview2

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/contact

or:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm aware. But both Photoshop and Illustrator are using it in version 2022, but not InDesign or Bridge. Check Apps in Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here!

7 "Microsoft Edge Webview2"-threads under Photoshop.

also

memory usaged from Photoshop (empty) goes up to over 8GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM any version of Photoshop will use depends one what you do when Photoshop is up and running  Whet they need more RAM the will allocate and user in and reuse it and not return it to the system  till you shut down Photoshop or use edit Purge to have Photoshop to return some of the resource it has allocated  and is not current in need of.  All version of Photoshop I have install will use under 2GB when I first start them and nothing is open in Photoshop.  This including Photoshop 2022 version 23.0.1.  It uses the most started 1.6GB, where CS6  uses around 800MB  .8GB. I have run a large Batch job with  23.0.1 and by the end of the job  Photoshop  address space was up to 26.1GB.    I have seen CS6 use up to 30GB on my 40GB machine the max amount of I allow Photoshop to use is 90% 36GB.  I have also ended the task in Photoshop  with Tasn manager and Photoshop keeps running and working.  So I have no Idea why they  were in there.  These screen captures were done right after starting  23.0.1 you can see at the point in time  23.0.1 usage of RAM is under 2GB.  I capture part of the Task Manager window  and pasted them into a open document in the running Photoshop 23.0.1 You can see  I ended  those task and exited the 32bit Photoshop  plug-in.  Photoshop 23.0.1 keept running in under 2GB of RAM and  A I saved the caputres into a single jpeg here.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, but could you address the OT of Microsoft Edge Webview2, please?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only  Adobe and Microsoft can address that. Users here do not have Access to their code.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriously.  how many replies that don't address the issue can we have?

(scrolls down and sighs)

"have you checked with microsoft?"  know what they're gonna say?  "have you checked with adobe?"

why [removed] is a microsoft browser element operating within adobe?  besides how i can immediately tell

it's latched onto my work when the (18 month old top-of-the-line hp 17") laptop begins to quake and whine like the millinneum falcon entering warp drive, it's creepy.  literally and figuratively.  creepy.

again, why [again, removed] is a microsoft browser element operating within adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best comment yet!  I found somewhere how to stop it.  Then Photoshop worked great on HP Zbook G4.  All of a sudden the Webview is back and PS started crashing again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here just to add in that:
1) I'm having the same issue
2) yeah, there's a lot of people who don't answer the question, and don't seem to get why its a problem
3) its making my Photoshop crash on start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to use the clone stamp or any serious brush work. I would
check what was running and there would be 4 webviews running! It was so
frustrating.--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. And I don't even use Edge as Firefox is my default (and maybe it is something to bring up with Microsoft as they seem insistent on making Edge into a virus that gets used whether you want to use it or not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the one who decided to buy a Windows computer, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and speaking of the least helpful response. Lots of us buy Windows for the sheer fact that not even the Mac M1 can get anywhere near the performance of my RTX 3090 and Intel combo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then you have to deal with Microsoft software, the performance of which you are complaining about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a Microsoft issue that's an Adobe issue.

No one forced Adobe to use edge webview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidneydavenport -

You mentioned something of absolutely vital interest (to me at least).
I have been significantly plagued by freezing and/or crashing PS.  It started with CC 2021 earlier in the year, and has been a intermittent but serious disruption in work flow.  I did a complete clean (using Adobe tools), then installed CC 2022, problem persisted as if I hadn't changed a thing.

I upgraded my machine from 32 to 64 gig, which seemingly has reduced the frequency of the hang/crashes, but they're still there.  I always have to use Task Mgr to kill the session.

Once a crash or hang has happened, attempts to relaunch PS many times throws out "Could not start PS, not enough memory".

Many attempts to get help from Adobe TS were vast wastes of time, and vast amounts of aggravation and irritation.

Running Win10/64, all drivers current..

I would greatly welcome your feedback on your own crash/hangs to see if they're similar, and what you did to resolve them.

Thank you in advance!
Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Microsoft Webview is also contributing to my Photoshop crashing.  It is so frustrating.  I can't seem to find a way to remove Microsft edge from my pc.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CjAshwal wrote:

I can't seem to find a way to remove Microsft edge from my pc.  

Did you ask Microsoft about their application? If not here are the links (also posted earlier in this thread):

Try Microsoft support for Webview2:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/contact

or:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebView is needed for functions in the current Windows version of Photoshop (I had that confirmed by a staff member).

@CjAshwal Why do you think it is Webview that is leading to your crashes?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked  "Allow internet connection for extensions" under preferences and my photoshop stopped crashing and the Webview2 wasn't opening anymore.  This is the only change I made.  Therefore, I will make the connection my issue is because of the Microsoft Webview running and disrupting something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here, i have uncheck "allow internet connetions" killed all Microsoft Wv2 under PS in Windows "Task Manager" and restarted PS. No problem for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please tell where i can find the option for unchecking "Allow internet connection for extensions"???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find that either. Someone else suggested it in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dhamo243392614xiz and @sidneydavenport, If you haven't found it yet (this is a long thread) it's under Edit > Preferences > Plugins, then towards the bottom of that tab under "Legacy Extensions" it's the first checkbox. I'm not convinced it changes anything, as I've had it unchecked and WebView2 still runs multiple instances. Fortunately, I am not crashing or experiencing any lags with the 23.3.1 release so far.

Apparently, WebView2 needs to run in order for certain UXP-powered features to work. Please let us know if you see any difference with it unchecked. Also, ICYMI, there is more about WebView2 on the Creative Cloud developer forum: https://forums.creativeclouddeveloper.com/t/microsoft-edge-webview-2-uxp-is-slow-when-photoshop-s-ru....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines