• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft Edge WebView2

Participant ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why there are seven instances of Microsoft Edge WebView2 running alongside Photoshop 2022?  I hope I've solved the freezing/crashing issue but Psd is still running sluggishly and  I would still like to know about this change.

I'm looking at Task Manager on Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (updated just a few days ago).

Thanks, Sidney

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 135 Replies 135
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > Plugins > [Legacy Extensions] > Allow Extensions to Connect to the Internet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me and I tried this before I even saw these threads. Still seeing instances of WebView. For me it depends on which computer I am using if this causes a problem. Unfortunately if I am rendering something I need to use my faster one. To not be able to even edit an image without crashing is ridiculous. I will just use my Affinity softrware suite until you can find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still having issues, what I have tried and it seems to work is install an earlier version of Photoshgop. I went into my Creative Cloud Desktop, looked under my installed software > selected the "more actions" or the midline ellipsis (⋯) under Photoshop > other versions, then installed the 22.59 version. If you can use this version, then it work and I see no instances on webview

Aaron26127963wbdz_0-1663231488754.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is how i get rid of edge:

search the c drive for "edge."  then all the folders named edge (make sure they're microsoft & not a file with the word edge in it), rename them.  renaming is fun!  you gotta do it every time your machine updates, but it's worth it.

the weird part is where is this edge web2view junk and why is it in our photoshop, crippling our proceccing power and memory, when we view the task manager?

adobe?  anyone?  bueller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar feels. Photoshop is one of the few things keeping me on Window$ instead on Ubuntu, but that may not even be enough anymore if they are just going to get into bed with M$ like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that every Windows progam runs all SORTS of Microsoft code? Hello...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that everyone understands that windows runs all kind of microsoft code, and that we understand that bloatware (Edge) shouldn't be running in the background slowing down our app.  That's the issue.
We're not being obstinate.
We (speaking for me, here) shut down programs that I don't need, while running others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I right clicked and changed the name of the application, nice idea thanks for informing.

When Adobe's alternative comes out I will delete it never to return. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that Windows uses Edge for a bunch of functions, and changing system files can lead to your computer not booting up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue! I can't open most of my files without PS freezing up and having to shut it down on task manager where I see several Microsoft Edge WebView2 running in PS. I use PS for work and my livelihood depends on me being able to get stuff done quickly. It has easily doubled to tripled my processing time and is putting me way behind. How can I fix this? I called PS support and even did a screen share and they said it was my graphics card so I updated all of my drivers and got rid of everything unnecessary that would slow it down and still nothing! I have an intel core i5 10th gen card. Could it use updating? Perhaps. But should I have to go buy a new graphics card just to get PS to work? Heck no! How can I fix this issue before it runs my business and my sanity into the ground? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LaniRichey I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Let's see if we can get you working again. Are you using the Photoshop 24.0.1 Release? WebView2 should not be using a lot of resources with this update or tripling your processing time. Are you running Windows 10, 11 or macOS Ventura or Monterey? How much memory do you have? How much free scratch (disk) space is available to Photoshop? Is your graphics card integrated or dedicated? Have you tried checking “Deactivate Native Canvas” under Technology Previews in Preferences to see if that makes a difference?

I realize you probably answered these questions with Adobe support already, but we don't know your particular set-up here. Is your main frustration with Photoshop's slow response time? Look through this list of symptoms and solutions to see if you can narrow down the problem. You might want to start a new discussion and provide as much detail as possible, including all of your System Info, so we can help you.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-slow-lags.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with the exact same thing for over a year now. I run the absolute earliest version of CC and anytime I try to update to another version, it becomes impossible to run. I have a high an AMD Radeon 6600 XT and 16 GB DDR4 ram. This  Microsoft Edge WebView2 issue is so stressful. Why is it now something that has to be running along side Photoshop? Previous versions didn't need it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too with Illustrator. The program runs like garbage, constantly in a Not Responding status. It's becoming impossible to do the work I need to do under these performance conditions. I have a good rig : i9 10850k procesor, 64GB of memory, all solid state M2 drives and a GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB video and Illustrator simply sucks, it lags out terribly, my screen whites/gray's out for long minutes at a time constantlly.  I have to save like every hour or risk losing so much work. Saves take 10 minutes of Not Responding every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did a lot of troubleshooting on my own and for Photoshop - perhaps it will work in Illustrator as well - I allocated less ram to Photoshop. So instead of 70% like most reccomend, I now have it on 50%. I have also set the cache level to 2 instead of 4 because it still crashed and/or froze when I had it at 4. It still takes forever to open but it seems to have stabilised the program. I am currently running 23.1, I was originally running 22.0. 

It could still be an issue with the webview2 and/or with the GPU/VRAM.

But what I have stated about has actually worked. 

Ram Allocated: 50% 
Cache Level: 2 

AGAIN, this worked in Photoshop, I am unsure as to how it will work in Illustrator, I do not actively use the program on a regular basis. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So through some trial and error, I had made a custom tree top forest texture that was a seamless overlap. That texture was all over my map file and it was the source of my latency while using the program. The texture is very complex and based off of a 1.5" x 1.5" square with 100's of tree outlines everywhere.  If I just emptied the texture while working on my map an just outlined with a .25 stroke the textures my performace went back to normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 23.2 and I just reconfigured my settings to what you mentioned. It still runs like crap and ever since the update, PS has been insanely slow. Only working on an 800x800 file that's 2mb, yet I can't even zoom in without freezing. Adobe products have been giving me hell lately since I updated. I never should've updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

J'ai eu le même soucis et je viens de faire une modification dans les "préférences->Modules Externes" de Photoshop, j'ai désactiver (décocher) "Permettre la connexion à internet pour les extensions" dans les Extensions héritées.

J'ai recommencé mon travail sans encombre et je n'ai pas eut de processus "Microsoft Edge WebView2" sous Photoshop.

Un hasard, peut-être mais si cela peut servir. Si vous pouviez tester à votre tour pour confirmer ou invalider la solution.

-------

I had the same problem and I just made a change in Photoshop's "Preferences->External Modules", I disabled (unchecked) "Allow Internet connection for extensions" in Legacy Extensions.

I restarted my work without a hitch and I did not have a "Microsoft Edge WebView2" process in Photoshop.

A coincidence, perhaps, but if it can help. If you could test in turn to confirm or invalidate the solution.

Thks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try this.--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed, angenoire.  it was slowing photoshop down and wreacking havoc with memory and cpu percentages.

first, i went to plugins > preferences > generator > uncheck "enable remote connections."

below that, under legacy extentions > uncheck "allow extensions to connect to the internet."

second, i searched the c drive for anything named edge and either deleted or renamed the folder.  it's a good thing to do, regardless.  i even found the file which keeps reinstalling the damn thing.  called "edgeupdate."

for the last couple weeks, no problem with edge running in photoshop.

haven't noticed it in other products i use (premeiere, illustrator, bridge).

good edge hunting, folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trent_reker Unfortunately, that is not changing anything for me yet. With one tab and no images open... 

JainLemos_0-1645553886225.png

JainLemos_0-1645554357617.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started having problems with Photoshop due to [removed by moderator] Edge Webview 2. It doesn't look like there's any way to really get rid of it. Now it's up to Adobe to find a way to accommodate this useless monster. We'll just have to nag at them until they cave. I'm starting now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!  Woohoo!  

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just chatted with an Adobe representative who says Adobe is aware of this problem and is developing a work-around that will result in a new version of Photoshop soon. In the meantime, we just have to deal with it. I had Photoshop crash repeatedly over the weekend, making a digital coloring project take three times as long as it ought've. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @eedeycv. That sounds promising! Sorry to hear about your crashes, though. I know it's frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of applications display formatted information in essentially a bespoke web browser window, because its easy to program CSS and HTML. Adobe doesn't write its own web browser, on Windows they just use the system solution which is Microsoft Edge (which is an offshoot of Google Chrome, which is an offshoot of Apple Safari.)

Adobe has moved away from its older way of doing things which involved Flash, so this is a big improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines