Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Missing Old Photoshop Shapes

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac, how do I restore my legacy shapes in Photoshop 2020? I'm missing the basics shapes such as arrows, bubbles, etc

I deleted my older version of Photoshop assuming the new version would already include them.

TOPICS
Download and install, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019
Click to open the Shapes panel menu, and choose Legacy Shapes and More. That will add preset groups to the Shapes panel. Then expand or reorganize the preset groups so that you can get to the shapes you want in a way that's most efficient for you. For example, you might choose to move your favorite shapes into a group that you keep at the top of the panel list. UPDATE: If you can’t open the Shapes panel menu because it is not there, that menu appears only in the Shapes panel (choose Window > S...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to open the Shapes panel menu, and choose Legacy Shapes and More. That will add preset groups to the Shapes panel. Then expand or reorganize the preset groups so that you can get to the shapes you want in a way that's most efficient for you. For example, you might choose to move your favorite shapes into a group that you keep at the top of the panel list.

UPDATE: If you can’t open the Shapes panel menu because it is not there, that menu appears only in the Shapes panel (choose Window > Shapes), not when you see the list of shapes provided in other parts of Photoshop such as the options bar. This is consistent with Gradients, Patterns, Swatches, etc. in Photoshop: You manage the list in its panel, which you open by choosing its name from the Window menu.

Photoshop-2020-Legacy-Shapes.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem but this solution doesn't help me. I'm using Windows 10. I don't have a choice for 'Legacy Shapes and More'. (see screengrab) and I clicked 'Restore Default Shapes' several times which just repeated the files that were there. Any help? ShapesMissing.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to access it from the Window menu

2019-11-23 13_12_52-Adobe Photoshop 2020.png

2019-11-23 13_13_34-Adobe Photoshop 2020.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please tell me how to SAVE these changes? I did this last time and i opened up Adobe and had to do this all over again!! Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much - VERY HELPFUL 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! THANK YOU!!  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's enough to drive you bonkers, isn't it? They move basic arrows and grids, but leave with flowers and boats. What????

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this should be marked the correct answer personally, thank you so much! Saved me from my confusion.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way on a PD to have it show the ACTUAL shape like in the past, instead of files and descriptions like "Symbols" and "Tiles"?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such option for Photoshop 2021.

Does the Photoshop team actually swap these things out based on actual usage?  I mean I never use any of these new shapes.  And now the option for the legacy is gone.

WHY!?

I hope it's not to move people to grab shapes and whatnot in another program people have to pay for or ANOTHER application we have to install.

Come on Adobe, why do you make peoples' lives difficult?  Already spent 10 minutes which is a huge waste and worth coming here to vent my frustration as it's the stupidest thing you guys did to date.  It's not even a bug.  It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my Photoshop 2021 and they are still in the exact place shown, after choosing Legacy Shapes and More from the panel menu.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be still the same in my 2021 install. It's frustrating, but yes the option should be there still.

Hit Windows > Shapes, then use the little Shapes sidebar panel.

Hit the 4-line hamburger menu on the top right on the Shapes panel and you should see it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to click on the windows>Shapes the "option" button

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I completly missed that, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Team,

Can you please keep it simple, why do you need to remove it in the normal/default menu/panel and put all in a folder under a folder and another folder!

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY does Adobe do these things????

I use a grid shape all the time to set up warps on smart objects, but no! I need a folder full of flowers and boats! That's what the world really needs!

I should bill them every time they wreck my workflow, change default buttons, and take away features that have been consistent for the last decade with no way to revert. /rant

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the option in the window panel, either.  Just this big old empty window. Please help!shapes window.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the little "hamburger" menu in the top right on that panel. Open up the legacy shapes. You can yank them out of that sub-folder if you wish.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines