• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opened files in Photoshop CC all appear black. What should I do?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated to the earliest version of Photoshop cc about a week ago. First time I open the program is by clicking "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom Classic CC. A couple of times the pictures appeared black in Photoshop and I just closed the files. Then I tried the same thing again and twice it showed the pictures and I could edit and save them. Another day I used "edit in Photoshop CC" in Lightroom again, and the picture appeared as gray and white little pixels. I then tried opening files directly from Photoshop CC and they all appeared gray and white pixels.

Then I tried uninstalling and then I restarted my computer and then reinstalled Photoshop CC. When I opened files, they all appeared black on screen. Well, actually if it's a JPEG file, it's black (on the small  layer window on the right of the screen, it still shows the picture, but the picture on the main screen is black. If it's a Raw file, the Camera Raw window came first and showed the picture. But when I clicked "open image,"  it showed all black on the main screen again.

Anyone has any idea what happened and what I should do?

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2017-11-11 15.54.03.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Hi Aranee,

Is your Graphics Processor (GPU) up to date? Without knowing what kind of computer you're using, I can't direct you exactly how to check. Just in case here's some info for Windows: Update the graphics driver | Windows 8, 7, Vista​.

You can also try bypassing the issue. In Photoshop, go to Preferences > Camera Raw, and then, in the pop-up menu under "Performance", uncheck the toggle for "Use Graphics Processor". BTW: you shouldn't experience any loss of performance with this fix.

adobe2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how does it work, with IMac? Im sitting here in front of a black screen and have no idea to fix that.

Deadlines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help with this too - how do imac users fix this issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 👋
I deinstalled and installed it again. Now it works. And I did an Mac update before. Hope it helps you .

Holen Sie sich Outlook für iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Are you opening a multi-page document or just one? I ran into the same grayscale issue when opening up a multi-page PDF. There's a dropdown setting to change the MODE: before you select which pages you want to open. I hope that helps. Best of luck, friend 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true, this is simply unnacceptable. I rely on Photoshop to do my jop and no matter what I do all I see is a dark under-exposed version of my images. This post should not be marked "solved" it is not "solved" for many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you have a defective monitor profile. If you're not using a calibrator to make your profiles (which is what you should do), monitor/laptop manufacturers often distribute their own profiles through Windows Update. These profiles are very often bad in different ways. Dell, Samsung, LG, Acer and Asus and some others are notorious for this.

Try to replace your current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1. It won't be entirely accurate, but better than a broken profile. Relaunch Photoshop when done, it loads the monitor profile at application startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a Mac User... and this problem was solved after the update.
But thanks.

Holen Sie sich Outlook für iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and this is what happens when a lot of people add to a thread with "I have the same problem", when in fact they have a very different problem and should have started their own thread. Not your fault, MarionRotter, just a general problem that can happen on internet forums.

My post was a direct and specific reply to joshuaw65906758.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You literally saved me today! thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! Worked for me after I followed your directions then restarted Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DelphiZoa & Ariela,  

Changing the "Use Graphics Processor" to Off, then quitting & restarting Photoshop worked for me.  Thanks for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is the end of 2022 and Adobe STILL has this problem with utilizing the GPU.  And the solution is stillt he same.  Mac Ventura on a top-of-the-line monster MacStudio, with all the power Darth Vader could dream of, including Sidewinder Missiles, yet, the solution is to "turn the graphic processor off."  So, tell me, Adobe, why bother having that option at all if the solution every year seems to be "turn GPU off"???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same for PS 2021 but realized earlier version 3d layers are not compatible, so deleted the 3d layers from the document, saved and reopened, and then everything is fine. Hopefully this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines