• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.3.1 freezes when using the Crop Tool

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not crop an image in PS 2021. Whole program freezes.

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title, PS-64819}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should include the fix for this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 179 Replies 179
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is happening to me too, started today, the last time I used it that was working fine was Monday but after an update with windows 10 started happening, well at least that is my suspicion since I did nothing else different to my system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just went to preferences>performance and saw that that "use graphics processor" was unchecked so I just checked it back, and now is working again. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks Nebur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me,its a pain in the neck,how can I o back to 22.2  ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very simple.

1. Open Adobe Creative Cloud

2. On the Photoshop listing, click the 3 dots on the right

3. Select "Other Versions"

4. Choose the version you want to replace the current version with

That's it!

Agree...pain in the neck. I can't imagine how they didn't find this major bug in their testing!

Photoshop revert.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mighty thank you it works a treat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "use graphics processor" was grayed out already. PS still freezes when I try to crop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me either.  The Neural Filter wheel says "Loading" then it freezes and kicks me out of Photoshop.  I checke the drivers they are OK.  The Neural Filters worked perfectly when they first came out.  Please, fix the damm problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue with a reinstalled version of Photoshop 2021 v22.3.  Cropping freezes the program to the point I have to use Task Manager to close it.  I've tried going into Preferences-Performance and get an error message saying that "Could not complete the Performance Command becasue of a program error.  I've uninstalled PS 2021 made sure all my Windows 10 updates have been ran and reinstalled the software.  Same issue.    I did find that in Lightroom the option to turn turn off the graphcis processor was unchecked.  Lightroom and Lightroom Classic both seem to work just fine.  Any more ideas?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to revert to Photoshop 22.2 That version doesn't have this bug with the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking "use graphics processor" worked  for me too to stop Crop Tool freezing Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I like best about this issue -- which I am having as well -- is that we who pay hundreds of dollars for this software have to search for a solution so we can dick around with settings. It's not very efficient or productive. Thank you, Adobe, for treating us like interns who are paying you for the privilege of fixing your mistakes. XOXOXO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue started yesterday. I found that if I create a duplicate layer first and then crop, everything works normally after that, even on subsequent images without creating the duplicate layer. I can't use the GEForce graphics processor as it conflicts with Photoshop and Adobe hasn't been able to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, after trying many of the solutions suggested, none worked except create duplicate layer. I am not even able to check / uncheck GPU because it is greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou!! saved me what little hair I hadn't torn out yet!!   Had sworn lots, re-installed drivers, sworn lots more......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance of letting us know how its done to get the crop tool working again ??

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Checking the graphics processor box didn't help but  your workaround with the added layer does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having the crop "freeze" issue for a while - a big annoyance!   I’m using a Windows 10 PC with Intel HD Graphics 630 internal GPU and PSCC v22.3.1.  I tried the easy things first (uncheck/re check “Use Graphics Processor” in Preferences) – to no avail.

Before resorting to more drastic measures (retreat to an earlier version or re-install PSCC) I kept reading through this users thread and came across your duplicate layer suggestion.  IT WORKS.  All one needs to do is open an image (JPEG/Tiff/Raw) into PSCC; duplicate the layer; the crop tool will now work; OR you can just duplicate the layer and immediately merge back down the layers and the crop tool will now also work.  NOTE: Once you go through the duplicate layer process, the crop tool will now continue to work on any new image you open into PSCC and without having to duplicate layers with them; you just have to duplicate the layer on the first image you open into PSCC. However - if you close out of PSCC and reopen the program "fresh" you will have to repeat the duplicate layer step; it’s an “easy” workaround.

NOTE TO ADOBE: there is something about using the "duplicating layer" feature that releases and resolves the clone tool freezing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least you guys can get in to your Preferences. I click on anything in that menu and get "Could Not Complete The Performance Command Because Of A Program Error". I've been in limbo over this garbage for a day now. Honestly ready to find a new program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an AMD Radeon GPU RX 570 Series card 8 Gig.  Windows 10 with 32 Gigs. Same problem.  Suddenly, use of Crop immediately locked up Photoshop 2021. Worked fine 4 weeks ago.  I've spend a lot of time trying to find solution.  Reinstalled Radeon software, as per Adobe suggestion.  No change. Got around it by Cropping in Lightroom before loading into Photoshop.  A pain. Many thanks to Nabur for noticing the "Use Graphic Processor".  Mine was unchecked as well. I certainly had not changed that, so clearly it was changed in the last Photoshop update. One I checked the Use Graphic Processor" box again, Crop worked fine.

Updates are supposed to fix stuff, not break stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issue - just started. Having to ctrl alt dlt to get out of it - very frustrating. Will have to roll back the version as it worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember a previous update a few months back was causing problems and the advice then was to uncheck the graphics processor ... it would seem that upgrades have caught up with this problem and now an 'unchecked ' graphics processor has become 'the problem'.  I have followed the 'correct answer' advice and so far function has been resored tot the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to 21.x and the issue went away. Been leery of installing any
update that isn't 22.4 or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't even get to my Preferences file to make that correction as I was locked out of that as well due to a "Program Error". Really awful update. I just deleted the 2021 version and rolled back to the 2020 iteration. That one works without a hitch so I think I'll just keep running that from now on. Seems every update is more buggy and a bigger memory hog than the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too, at the moment Photoshop is so frustrating, one problem after another, causing me hours of lost workflow. Please sort it out, or I will have to look at alternative software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines