• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I downgrade to v.21.1.3 - the last version which ran correctly with my (old) graphics card (AMD Radeon HD6670).  I can't see that version available since version 22.0.0 was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, There is an option on the CC desktop. It is in the photoshop sub
menu "..."  "Install older versions" (or words to that effect). You are
then presented with versions available for your subscription.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Unfortunately it only offers the last version of 21.x.x which was 21.2.4.  I wanted 21.1.3 as all later versions are incompatible with my GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a Macbook Pro 2016 "old" for you? I'm using a Radeon Pro 455 2 GB / Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, and now I have to disable the GPU on Photoshop. Come on Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here. What a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, switching off the GPU has worked for me, running like a champ now, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, turning off the CPU support only resolved part of the issue.  I could open files, but I still could not close Photoshop and the Hand tool still didn't work.  There are probably other issues I haven't had time to discover.  

However, I installed the previous version (I now have both versions installed), and the previous version is working fine, for now.  Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU, not CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, could you send me an email at sympa@adobe.com ? We'd like to triage a further possible workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same experience. Turning off the GPU allows me to open files, but I cannot close Photoshop and other functions don't seem to be working properly. I also reset the preference settings, but that had no discernible effect. 

My PC is now over five years old, so I suppose that it is no longer supported by Adobe. Still, it would have been nice to have some notice first before the automatic upgrade took place. No doubt there was a "read me" file or release notes somewhere that warned about the issue, but I'm used to having the Creative Cloud app update all the program automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Windows device, there was an update for Photoshop today, and now I can not do anything in it. I can't open files. I cant create new files. I keep getting the error "Could not complete your request because of a program error." It won't even close. We have uninstalled and reinstalled. Restarted my computer several times. Still not able to work in it. My company IT team has no clue how to fix it. We tried to Google to see if anyone else is receiving this error and even tried their fixes, still no luck. It is not working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could give some more useful advice, but the same exact thing happened when I updated. (I am using a Windows 10 computer, for reference). After trying everything else, I rolled back to the previous version of Photoshop and it's working just fine. Just hate to miss out on all the new features. Hopefully there will be a fix for this problem soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22.0.0 is broken! Program errors out trying to open any file type and must be force quit. Turning off the Graphics Processor in Preferences "fixed" the problem for me, but that seems more like a diagnostic answer rather than a real FIX. Please tell us this will be resolved soon, and notify us when we can reenable using our graphics processors!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the same error when I tried to open a RAW photo in Photoshop from Lightroom Classic.  I turned off my graphics processor and was able to open it in PS from LR.  Once I was there I turned the Graphics processor back on, edited the photo and went back to LR no problem.  I tried opening the same photo from LR in PS again and it opened right up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I removed the settings folder as suggested and can now open a file after turning off my graphics processor (which worked perfectly in the lat version) but cannot close the program as the message comes up. I have to end process. On restarting after this the graphics processor has turned itself back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now tested this on 3 computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop). All running latest Windows10 and with at least 16Gb RAM. Various GPUs of different ages. All the computers worked perfectly with graphic proceesirs turned on with the previous version. All of the machines are running in to problems with slightly different issues. The latest desktop with the best spec GPU begins to open files but gets stuck, showing all the menus etc. but the original screen stays open where the image should be. Turning off the graphc processor makes no difference. One desktop will load the image only with the graphic processor off but gets the error message on trying to close the program. The laptop is a total disaster. This is a dreadful upgrde, the worst that I can remember in the history of Photoshop. This needs fixing fast. I have tried all the various suggested fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful to separate the issues for each machine as they have different hardware configuations with the latest version of photoshop. Shoot me an email at sympa@adobe.com Lets discuss. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo lo he resuelto desactivando el procesador gráfico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, and disabling the GPU does not solve it. In fact, I am not using the NVidia Quadro 600 in any event, so the problem is apparently not limited to that card. My video card is the NVidia Quadro FX 3800. I tried uninstalling PS and reinstalling it, but that does not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @dbcdon,

I saw that you mentioned you are using an NVidia Quadro FX 3800 which is a video card from 2009. Unfortunately this is a very old card that we no longer support. If you want to keep using this card I would recommend that you either 1) disable the gpu in preferences > performace > use graphics processor OFF or alternatively if you want to continue using GPU features with your current card 2) downgrade to an earlier version of photoshop that still supports that very early video card. Alternatively if you want to make use of the latest features of photoshop I would recommend that you purchase new hardware - we support 4 years of backwards compatability. 

Thanks, Sympa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing works.  Can't open jpg file. Can't close program -- have to kill it with the task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines