• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to fix it. Basically the exact same thing happened to me. So turn the view off everything and save it as a photoshop file then competely quit photoshop then open the document you saved that shows to be blank then you turn visibility of everything you want back on then you are able to save as JPEG or whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me saving progress in a .psd, until I had to get to the point where I needed that image in a different format. Whatever is going on with my system, at least, I got an error message no matter what I tried until I reverted to the previous version of PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same error 😞

I post yesterday but my post has been deleted ...

Today, it's the same, I work with layers and, depends on what action ??? impossible to save my work and I have to inspect and deselect each layer to discovert wich one create Photoshop error saving.

It's very very difficult to work..

My Apple Mac is a 16" pro one, with Big Sur 11.0.1 v(20B29)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this thread that provided a workaround (not ideal) solution in turning off layers and then saving. Try and see if that works. I'm not posting as a permament solution but rather a way to test where the problem is:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/quot-can-t-save-file-due-to-program-error-quot/td-p/9691658...

If you can save turning off layers, we can look at other options.

Other tests- 
* Create a new PSD file with multiple layers (very simple content) and save. If it saves, we know it is something in your file.

* Create a copy of the PSD file (outside of Photoshop as a backup), then open one copy in Photoshop, delete one layer and then try save. If it doesn't save, revert to the orginal and delete another layer and try save. Repeat for all layers. If you can save when a specific layer has been removed, tell us what's happening in that layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help but I found that when deselecting some layers (the right ones...) it's ok.

But, now, at a moment, I can't export file as PNG : nothing happen when I export as PNG. It works and I can export as PNG, from the same PSD file and, at a moment, nothing et no error, no popup, nothing to tell me that it doesn't work but no PNG files are created...

So, I change my way of working... no choice... I save as much often as possible and, when I export as PNG file, I verify that it works via FINDER. If not, I join all layers, I export as PNG (it works) and I cancel the join to be able to go on working on my file ...

I'm waiting for a new release !!...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@XavNancyFrance - How are you saving the PNG?

What happens when you try:

- File > Save As and choose PNG.

- File > Export > Quick Export as PNG

- File > Export > Export As... - then choose PNG as the format

- File >  Export > Save for Web (Legacy)...- then choose PNG as the format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

- File > Save As and choose PNG.

OK, it works.

- File > Export > Quick Export as PNG

>The regular popup is ok, I click on "Save", the popup disappear ... but no created file

- File > Export > Export As... - then choose PNG as the format

>The regular popup is ok, but there is a photoshop error, see below

- File >  Export > Save for Web (Legacy)...- then choose PNG as the format

OK, it works.

Capture d’écran 2020-12-13 à 08.27.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you anymore about tests because I've just uninstalled this 22.1 version.

I re-installed the 22.0.1 version.

Thanks to you for your help @Dean_Utian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@XavNancyFrance - Wish you all the best with your work and hope you have better results with future PS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to Save As and create another file, does that work? 

Where are you saving your file to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what file I'm working with - the error comes up every single time. I have also tried saving to multiple different locations and it does the same thing.

I have seen people on twitter saying the only 'fix' is to revert back to before the latest upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a recent discussion thread below with many people reporting the program error issue when saving.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-cannot-save-file-due-to-program-err... 

There is no solution from the above but some users have found hiding layers does allow files to be saved. Does this work for you?

It has an Adobe Administrator looking into it in the above discussion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Reverting back to the previous version solved all my issues! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Same here! The "not saving" program error just started today, but for the last week I haven't been able to use the sky enhancement feature because once used, it won't allow me to convert layers to a smart object or merge layers. Extremely frusting. I have already unistalled the program and reinstalled, twice. This is getting rediculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... it's driving me crazy ! i've resarted my computer, downloaded photoshop 2 times, and it's getting worse. My clients are waiting and i can't work...  We are paying for something that doesn't work, when will they fix it???? 

If you have any tips in the meantime ? i've tried everything already in the different conversations... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I've found that works was reverting Photoshop to the previous version before the latest update. Not really a fix but at least I can do my work now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you revert Photoshop please ? ( Mac / Cloud adobe subscriber)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Creative Cloud, press the three dots next to Photoshop and then click 'other versions' and it will take you to a page like this one. As you can see, I no longer have the latest version installed.

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 12.57.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Perfect. 

22.1 uninstalled, 22.0.1 re-installation in progress... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem on Windows and I managed to fix it with a completely fresh install of my latest graphics card drivers. If youre using an Nvidia card then this might be worth looking into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I redownloaded the previous version and now its thrown away all my brushes and I cannot redownload them of the adobe website. Its a total shambles and Im so frustrated with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me nuts recently too. Seemed to start after a recent photoshoot I did and trying to edit those pics (cropping, multiple layers, folders and adjustments).

My work around, which seems to have sorted it out for a couple of says so far, is to make sure that all images are converted to 8 bit before doing anytning to them (I was working with 16 bit images). After that I've been able to save as expected. 

Not ideal, as I loose some control and image detail, but at least it lets me get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem also! I can open saved ps files but if I try to scale or change layers, when it comes to exporting I get this error message. It's extremely frustrating as I am in the process of altering designs for products. Adobe guys you really need to get this fixed as it's obviously a fault in the new update. For now I'm going to try reverting back to the previous version and see if that works as a temporary solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd update that I have reverted back to the previous version and everything is working perfectly again. I hope the new update is fixed soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines