• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure not working in the new Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new Photoshop 2020 on my Wacom Companion 2, turns out the pen pressure is NOT WORKING at all. However the previous versions (20.0.6 and 19.1.6) still work perfectly with the pen pressure. 

Has anyone run into that issue ?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

I have the same proplem ... version 20.0.8 worked just fine.

Win 10

Found solution:

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Update : With 21.2.2 you may need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file

The latest versions are designed to work with Windows Ink and Adobe have made improvements in that area, many of the old bugs have been addressed. I've used Windows Ink here for the last year.

Remove the PSUserConfig.txt file and in Wacom tablet properties check Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 199 Replies 199
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pen pressure loss was fixed on Win with 21.1.3.  It is still broken on Mac.  This issue reproduces when switching focus away from Photoshop and then back.  Currently working on fixing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this on mac. Lot's of user are experiencing difficulties to use the program, we workflow is constantly slowed down, it's been weeks that there's no solution on this.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cause of this issue (Pressure sensitivity loss on Mac): changing focus away from Photoshop and then back. Workaround to avoid this or restore sensitivity without relaunch: If you switch focus back to PS by using the stylus to paint, you'll experience this. Instead, switch focus back to PS via CMD+Tab. Also, if you run into this, using the eraser end of the stylus will restore pressure sensitivity. Bug fix for this will be out in the next update, coming very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an UGEE 2150. I had the same issue however it was a tablet setting for me. I had to enable the "Enable Digital Ink" option. Not sure if there is a similar setting for any of the fancier tablets out there. 

Pen pressure works for me after enabling that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently updated to the newest photoshop as of yesterday and seems like everything is working back to normal. Not sure about windows but on the Mac Catalina, everything is back to normal.

aleX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming aleX!  There is still an open bug with build-up where you can get blobs at the start of your stroke.  That'll be fixed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

Indeed, yes I see what you mean. there are blobs when you first press. That would be beneficial with certain brushes to correct. I look forward to the next update which will fix that.

Thanks Chad and thanks for correcting these issues. 

aleX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great news. I am using the "munch" brush and always getting those blobs at the start. Now I am working with an older version of ps and can't wait for that being fixed. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it helps. thank you (Windows 10 pro+ Wacom Intous 3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it helps, thanks.

looking forward to the real fix.

c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some friendly advise to everyone. This didint solve it at first but that was because i named the file with .txt at the end. When you just name the file PSUserConfig it workt for me!

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update : With 21.2.2 you may need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file

The latest versions are designed to work with Windows Ink and Adobe have made improvements in that area, many of the old bugs have been addressed. I've used Windows Ink here for the last year.

Remove the PSUserConfig.txt file and in Wacom tablet properties check Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now with this latest update it seems they fixed the original issue. Now to get pen pressure to work I had to DELETE this PSUserConfig.txt file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Adobe solved Pen Pressure issue, but introduced completely other.
All third party panels I have (from 3 different developers) are now messed up. With mouse they work fine, but with pen... Almost all buttons, tabs and other clickable elements needs a double tap with a pen to do what they supposed to do.

Also they messed up even their own panels. The main one is Curves. Barely usable. Trying to adjust very slightly, it thinks it's a long press and you need to release and then adjust again to see real-time changes. Lots of places are messed up now if you're using only pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to role back to 21.20. Adobe may have addressed the issue with Wacom pen pressure and not needing the PSUserConfig any longer, but as Karmalakas pointed, they've introduced other issues.

1. For example when resizing the brush in Photoshop when using Alt+RMB on Windows 10 with Windows Ink enabled, a little "Alt" text popup is shows up everytime when resizing the brush.

Anyone know how to get rid of this with Windows Ink enabled? See image below:

2020-08-19 12_12_58.jpg

2. Resizing of the brush stalls out when using the Alt+RMB every couple of times with Windows Ink enabled which makes it basically unusable and extremely frustrating. This issues kills my workflow as I'm constantly resizing my brush a lot for concept art.

3. Things like MMB scrolling with a Wacom pen doesn't work with Windows Ink enabled.

4. All of the other little annoying idiosyncrasies of Windows Ink, feedback rings, text highlight graphics etc.

Maybe these aren't Adobe's problem, but eitherway, I preferred having to use the PSUserConfig at this point because at least that way we could avoid all of these Windows Ink conflicts.

I don't have these issues with Zbrush, Substance Painter, Blender, Mari, or 3d Coat when Windows Ink is disabled.

Adobe, please figure out a way for users to have the option to disable Windows Ink, even if it requires using the PSUserConfig.

Currently I won't be able to update to the latest version of  Photoshop until they figure out how to get Photoshop, Wacom and Windows Ink to play nicely together.

Maybe I'm missing a step in Windows 10 with how to disable all of the issues I listed above with Windows Ink. I'm open to suggestions:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not addressing Adobe here. This forum is answered mainly by volunteer users. You can raise bug reports/feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe developers.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Dave, will do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave.   Yes, please, please, please, when you submit a bug via that link, provide as much detail as you can, including:
PS version
OS version
Wacom drivers
Wacom model
GPU settings (Prefs > Performance)

A video or screen capture of the issue with precise steps for us to reproduce is EXTREMELY helpful.

Also there are a couple steps listed here on setup tips (see disabling long-press on Win):
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

The OS toast issue is a MS issue, we are asking them to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad, I've posted to an existing bug report using the link Dave provided with all of my specs excluding the video capture because I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop 6+ times since yesterday. I can't afford to do it again, having to reinstall my prefs each time. 

I'll likely wait for the next update before trying to mess with the Windows Ink settings again because at least now I can work in 21.2.0. What's the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Thanks for the info.

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As i have also really urgent deadlines i will roll back to previous updates. 

Should i revert back to 21.2.0 or 21.2.1 ?   

dont understand why Adobe let this bug since years now with out any fix 

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure and back up all your settings and brushes,etc.  I lost all my settings and such recently trying to roll back versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Seth_A, personally I rolled back to 21.2.0 where the PSUserConfig still works. It may work in 21.2.1, but I unistalled and rienstalled so many times I lost track tbh. Be sure to back up your prefs, rolling back removes them. At least it did in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric. I know, unfortunately  i rolled back yesterday  on 21.2.1 and lost all my actions,custom brushes, workspaces etc.

this bug is weird with windows link enabled ( always on latest PS udpate) looks like is activated when you click on zoom tool and get fixed when you click the brush tool. But for sure this is not professional enviroment for work ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for #3. MMB (middle-mouse-button?). Is there a middle button on a wacom pen or are you assigning one of the buttons on the pen to scroll?  

#4. you can disable the ring, see the link I posted for disabling long-press

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For #3. I'm assigning a middle click to one of the wacom buttons which is necessary for most 3d applications.

2020-08-19 15_44_44-Window.png

#4. I just tried what was described in the link about disabling the press and hold option which I remember having to do back in CS6 days, unfortunately that only halfway works. Within the Photoshop workspace, there are no rings, outside of the workspace, the RMB rings still exist.

Another issue:

#5. I just noticed I'm also unable to highlight browser text with my Wacom pen when Windows Ink is enabled, with or without Press and Hold enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines