• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 10bit support

Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

There are 16 and 32bit modes in PS, so my question is: can PS display 10bit color depth per channel if all other components support it? (i.e. Windows 7, ATI FirePro graphics card,10bit monitor connected via Displayport)

If not, will there be an update/plugin? Will the next version of PS support it?

I'm thinking about upgrading. Wouldn't make much sense if the software doesn't support it…

Thanks in advance

Hermann

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Actually, the 10 bit/channel display path is working quite well in CS5 - on cards and displays that support it.

Again, we've been working with the manufacturers for a while to get it working...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 187 Replies 187
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current ATI drivers are versions 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 (the last 2 have bugs).

Please download the 11.2 drivers from the ATI/AMD website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Ati FirePro V3800 not Radeon series. ATI 11.2 is not for FirePro Series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to CS5 12.0.4. But I still have banding with 10 bit test ramp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because Photoshop already supports 10 bit/channel displays.

Updating Photoshop won't help, you have to update your display, your video card, or your video card driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have everything updated. Nec PA271W has 10 bit panel. Video card is ATI FirePro V3800, and it supports 10 bit with its driver. Ati driver is the last version 8.773.1.1000. So the issue is an update (ATI or CS5) since I saw 10 bit test ramp without banding. I rolled back to previous driver ATI, but the bunding still is visible. So the issue is a CS5 update after 12.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that 10 bit color works fine in PS 12.0.4, just like it did in 12.0.3, so "NEC271" the problem is on your end.  I have an ATI FirePro V4800 with the driver info below:

ATI Driver.JPG

Note that if any 'element' of the taskbar (pop up, jump list, whatever) appears over the Photoshop window, the banding will appear until that element is no longer over the PS window.  Also, if you hold down the left mouse button in certain areas within PS (the top bar of any of Photoshop's child windows {e.g. the Navigator window} qualify) the banding will appear.  I assume it is possible for other scenarios to also break the 10 bit color pipeline.

Since you said you had 10 bit working before, I assume you already have this set:

ATI Driver 10 bit.JPG

I have Win 7 64 bit, in the event that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what else to check. I just updated ATI driver to 8.773.1.2 version, but I also rolled back to previous 8.773. and 8.773.1. and 8.773.1.1. CS5 version is 12.0.4. Windows 7 x64 is daily updated. I'm sure that no element of taskbar appears over the PS windows.  What else should I check? I know a few people in the same situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the display port connection? (because DVI and VGA aren't going to do 10 bits)

Beyond that, you need to check with ATI and the display manufacturer - for some reason the driver thinks that you can't support 10 bit/channel, and Photoshop relies on the information it gets from the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I use Display Port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have almost the same setup like you (ATI FirePro V5800, Current AMD/ATI driver, NEC PA241W, Connected via DisplayPort)

I also use the latest patches for: ATI driver, Windows 7 (64 Bit) and Adobe PS5 (12.0.4) at my office

--> and my "ramp.psd" - as well as all other 16 Bit Images is rendered smoothly (you can well differ between the 2 setting 8 Bit and 10 Bit).

So in general the setup should still work fine - I personally deactivated the process before, that stops Win7 from using the Aero-Profile

--> that indeed stopped the 10 Bit feature from working ...(?)

Still some annoyances here ...

Best regards

Roland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did all you just said. But for me it doesn't work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/fire_win7-64.aspx#2

you can download the latest (non WHQL certified) driver from AMD/ATI ... (this - latest - driver is version 8.83.5.4)

... maybe you can correct the issue that way - has to be something with you specific machine!

There are some people out there using the configuration you mention with successful 10 Bit color rendition.

... maybe you have some "driver mix" or anything like that ... and the "newer" version could clean it up(?)

Maybe it's worth a try - can't imagine many other errors (for you said, you already got that to work earlier).

CU

Roland

Message was edited by: Blendax74  P.S. ... I just DID that update to version 8.83.5.4 ... and 10 Bit still works (but the Aero-block etc. ist still as annoying as it always has been...)

Message was edited by: Blendax74 P.P.S.: This driver version was released on 05/24/2011 ... so this should definitely be the latest one available to the public ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blendax. I just tried with 8.83.5.4. No 10 bit wiew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just started using a new system – Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, i7-2700K CPU, Asus P8Z68-V motherboard and ATI FirePro V5900 (latest Pre WHQL driver) with an NEC SpectraView Reference 271 monitor connected via the display port.  No problems with the 10-bit display, other than it disabling Aero.

NEC271,

Have you tried selecting a different Windows theme/profile before enabling the 10-bit  option? Also is it only Photoshop with will not display 10-bit properly? There is a tool on the NEC website called 10bitdemo.exe, which will only run if 10-bit support is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEC271 wrote:

Hello !. I work with Photoshop CS5 x64, Windows 7 x64, ATI FirePro V3800, Nec monitor PA271W (Display Port).

I didn't have any problem about 10 bit support in the past. Now (I just installed Service Pack 1 and update to ACR 6.4) I can't see more 10 bit when I open 10 bit test ramp image in CS5. ATI driver is the last. Settings in CS5 about Open GL are correct.

When I restart Windows after enable 10 bit in ATI Panel, I can see 10 bit activated because Windows bar is not more trasparent but coloured. I open CS5 and 10 bit test ramp image but I see image in 8 bit. Why I can't more view correctly 10 bit test ramp image in CS5?

I just wanted to repeat this here on the second page of the thread, since (partly because of my miscue) the original conditions of your problem may not be well known by the respondents.

Just to be clear, with Photoshop 12.0.3, before installing Windows 7 service pack 1 you were seeing 10 bit operation, right?  Was the transition from 10 bit working to not working exactly at that point?

You've been trying various driver versions...  Are you doing a complete uninstall / reboot before installing a new copy of the driver?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2011 May 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought Nec PA271W and ATI FirePro V3800 in October 2010. ATI driver was 8.773 and CS5 was 12.0 or 12.0.1 I think.

I installed monitor and Ati card for the first time and i could see 10 bit color. I use 10 bit operation for about  a month without any problem. Then I didn't use it. So a few weeks ago I liked to use 10 bit again. In the meantime ATI driver was 8.773.1.1, CS5 was 12.0.2 or 12.0.3 and Windows 7 x64 was SP1. I opened CS5 and it appears banding.

Yes, when I tried ATI old drivers, I complete unistall previous by Control Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know if there are any news about nVidia and 10bit monitor support. I can't find anything: is there any nVidia VGA that can work in 10bit color mode? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VGA?  Um, did you get your video ports confused?

DisplayPort is the current choice for > 8 bit/channel output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer Chris.

For VGA I meant graphic card in general, I am sorry, this is how we call them here where I work .

My question is: is there any nVidia graphic card that I can use with PhotoShop CS5 (Windows 7, DisplayPort) that will work in 10bit mode?
At the moment the only machine that I use that runs 10bit has a V4800 (ATI) graphic card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aa no .... no news for a long time...

my expirience till now is.... sometimes work and sometimes not....

PS required multiple restarts  to get accurate results ...dont know the reason.....

but system can because if I launch Nec 10 bit aplication it works...

download here... http://www.necdisplay.com/faq/additional-topics/color-critical-displays/14

and click on 3. row (how can I check......... )

so I think something is in PS......

cheers..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zotac Support Germany told me, that all cards with displayport would support 10bpc.

does anyone have experience with that?

i have ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 560 1GB (ZT-50701-10M) and think about getting the NEC PA241W. so i would like to have definitive knowledge whether this will work or not.

Nvidia seems to say that only Quadros work. Zotac tells me, all Cards work. yet all Zotac cards work with GeForce and Nvidia drivers. I am confused.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Georg,

The hardware may technically have the ability to handle 10 bits, but unless specific support has been added to the display driver it will not work.  Unless there is something new in the standard (non Quadro) Nvidia drivers, you cannot get 10 bit with a GeForce based card.  Another way to put it is that a Display Port interface may be necessary for 10 bit, but it is not sufficient. 

Ask Zotac to send you the screen shots of the display driver settings to enable 10 bit and see what kind of answer you get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zotac Germany just admitted, that they provided wrong information. so its Nvidia Quadro or 8bpc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or ATI FirePro. I just built a new system with i7 processor, and z68 Asus mobo with an ATI FirePro V4800 - works fine with 10bit on my NEC PA271W

Chers, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines