• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 slow and laggy [LOCKED]

Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is now locked by a moderator and you are welcome to continue a civil discussion in a new thread or add to the bug report that goes to the product developers. See the link in the answer marked "Correct".

Here are the forum guidelines:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-support-community-guidelines/td...

I'm going to start this new thread for the new version of photoshop. 
There are hundreds of comments about 2020 being slow and laggy and not a single adobe rep has even acknowledged it. I was hoping the upgrade would solve everyone's issues but alas that isn't the case. 

So this thread is for all you old and newcomers with new and old machines where photoshop runs like crap to complain about. Maybe their newest software might be seen for them to do something.  

I'll go first: 
Ryzen 9, 64 gigs of 3200 ram, 1080 ti gfx, 1nvme 3200mb.s ssd for programs, 1 tb sata sdd cache drive, 2 tb WD black for files. 

Photoshop takes almost 3 seconds to do simple things like changing to a shape pen tool to make shapes. 
Lags on anything pen tool, and type tool
Played with every setting in the performance and went through their pages on optimizing. 
I even went through the Nvidia setting but only gained a slight boost in performance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

@vitorsantosHerz 

I've linked the bug thread you started below so that others can vote and add their own system info:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/slowness-and-lag-in-photoshop/idi-p/12403870

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 391 Replies 391
Participant ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting sooo tired of this now. Hesitant to do ANY updates to risk losing what's partially working. Have received for the 3rd time a download link to Photoshop cc 2019 which will NOT install due to error code 41 "unable to access a critical file or folder". System Integrity Protection is OFF and I have 2 months ago spent an hour on a remote desktop session with Adobe support who also could not install it. So tired of this rubbish now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a 22.4 update today that seems to have fixed it? PS seems to be running smoother. The HUGE lag is gone for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very incremental improvement in my experience. Lags are not entirely gone. 

• Zooming, panning and clicking on menu, tools or panels still having noticeable lagging, occurs worst a few first 5 minutes. Even though much improved than the previous version, but still lags. 
  • But if you work after a few hours, and dealing with high resolution document and over 80 layers, the lag gets much worse. Every clicking could take 1 second lags each, making it impossible to work comfortably.

I currently use Photoshop CC2018 (Adobe discontinue it so I download it from some noisy website instead lol) and I have night-and-day experience. It just works and no lags whatsoever, even when I work on a +100 layers on a large dimension and high-resolution setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sticking to CC2018 as well. If you want a genuine copy, you can contact Adobe Technical Support and they'll generate a unique link for you to download right from the Adobe servers. It's a full, offline download of CC2018. Once then, keep this copy in your backups and allow the Creative Cloud Desktop app to update itself. Then, immediately make sure "Auto Update Apps" are disabled.

I am still using my computer from 2009, the first generation Intel Core i5 750 2.67 GHz with 16 GB RAM and Radeon RX 460. I only use my computer for fashion and portrait photography mainly. I don't work in motion/VFX so this dinosaur PC is suited for my needs. I also use DaVince Resolve 17.X (free version) to make simple videos. It all works out OK and accetable performance.

I do believe that with the additionals of Adobe Sensei-based operations and AI tools is what makes any PS after 2018/2019 slow as P.O.S. 🙂

I am in solidarity with anyone experiecning grievances towards Adobe for lack of customer satisfaction in the service(s) we are paying for!

Overall and personally, I am happy and satisfied with my 20 GB Photography Plan. It comes with Adobe Portfolio and Adobe Fonts, which provides utility for my needs as a freelance photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been given that same unique link 3 times now, it will NOT install no matter what, keep getting Error Code 41 "Unable to Access Critical File or Folder" support cannot fix it, an online session could not fix it, the latest suggestion from "Support" is that macOS Mojave is too old so I must upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur WTH!!! Nothing has been modified on my Macbook, nothing.

I now say this here in public as a PAYING CUSTOMER !!! I am now going to have to find a pirate version of CC 2018 just to be able to work. Adobe knows who I am, can validate I am paying customer so I would like to see what they intend doing about this now because I am sick and tired of this RUBBISH !!!! Nice that a paying customer must be reduced to this but I have absolutely ZERO faith in their support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: To @hekselsior

I forgot to mention that the version Adobe will give you is the latest update to CC2018 version 20.0.8. If you install the offline instattion they generate a unique link for download, your CC2018 will be installed with 20.0.8.

If you install CC2018 from "some website," it's not the latest update, correct me if I am wrong. Unless I overlooked something, you can't download updates in patch software like the Photoshop CS6 era.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there is an Edit buttion or option. I apologize for my misnombers in referring to CC2019 incorrectly as CC2018. I meant to exclaim that CC2019 has been the perfect Photoshop for me as a member of the CC Photography Plan.

I installed the latest PS2021 version 22.4.1 and there is a lag, when I do curves adjustments and slider-dragging on say the Color Balance tool.

Beyond a reaonable doubt, I do believe the lags and horrible unacceptable—P.O.S—performance is due to the addition of AI and Adobe Sensei stuff that no one cares for. I've been using Photoshop, since CS2.

Until I decide to upgrade my 2009-era dinosaur PC from HP, Photoshop CC 2019 (version 20.0.8) is the sweet spot for me. I will not be updating or trying out new versions of PS 2021. Once again, I am in solidarity with everyone expressing their grievances towards Adobe for this unacceptable performance issues. I've read some of you guys' hardware specifications. You guys should NOT be experiecing these lags on your muscle PC builds with superior hardware performance and memories.

My dinosaur PC is from 2009, first-generation Intel Core i5 with 16 GB RAM and using Radeon RX 460 for my simple fashion and portrait photography needs. Any PS above 2019 chokes my dinosaur PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't really matter for me if it's not the latest update. If it works, then it's perfect.

I learnt from that disastrous PS CC2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahahah hekselsior , i am in the same boat 

- i pay every month a software that is broken since 1 year and a half 

- nobody in the new adobe coding team has the skills to solve the problem

- it is impossible to work at the speed that is expected in a pro VFX environment with any PS available on CC

- thus i have download and crack an adobe CS6 suite, that work PERFECTLY on my machine

yes i am using a crack version of the software i pay , because it is the only way to get access to a reliable PS. 

These are the modern times of subscriptions, they charge you every month for breaking and destroying their own tool. That situation is beyond common sense.  But i still have faith in Karma, one day or another this will backfire to them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a work tool, exactly! I use this for my job, and now it takes me an hour an image, sometimes longer.

I have to transform to move any layer, the layer disappears until the transform box is on and you click twice, then the lag is roughly 8 seconds - when using any tool. This is unacceptable, I'm sorry. I expect it to work properly and not be told of quick fixes. It should just work!! Please fix it. Trying to put together a 200 page catalogue by deadline is proving almost impossible. 

I am running:

macOS Big Sur / Mac Pro (late 2013) / 2.7GHz / 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 64GB 1866 MHz DDR3 / AMD FirePro D500 3GB / 1TB Flash Storage / 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it just doesn't matter to ADOBE! Simple as that.

I've tried everything...new versions, old versions, uninstal, reinstall....new user account...everything!

Now my machine in general is running at a snails pace....I HATE ADOBE ANYMORE, AFTER OVER 30 YEARS OF USING THEIR PRODUCTS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just Photoshop - all their infrastructure has pretty much turned to crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect most of their software is built on legacy decades-old code, or at least a mish-mash of new and old. The only thing that will get me paying for Adobe software again is if they rebuild everything from the ground up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just so fed up with huge multibillion dollar companies jacking me around. It's sickening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane. massive ryzen system, never any problems but this latest version is a nighmare. Some actions take minutes to comlete: simple resize, close or save a file etc etc.

Tried with- and without graphics support (yes with restarts in between of course). This piece of software feels like a betaproduct and not something that should be provided to paying profs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's insanity how garbage this current version is. HEYA Adobe, anoyne there? Please fix this junk soon, for the love of everything holy! It literally ruins my work days and makes life worse on a daily basis, it's hot garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here for the same reason. Tonight I'm having to click on stuff twice, thinking I'm missed the target. I'm not working on big files. I've reboot every time I start a session, just to be sure.

My c:\ drive, and two scratch disks are SSD's. My uP is Intel i7, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 video card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous, I am trying to get some urgent work done, and i can't even draw a simple shape with the pen tool without Photoshop lagging for several seconds each time i create a point, making it completely unuseable!

People use this for work, Adobe, why are you releasing updates like this that clearly don't work??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of days ago I purchased a new iMac 24" M1. Photoshop is now extremely fast with the new computer. The new iMac also fixed issues with Finder not showing new files and old cached data. Now I'm able to be be very productive again without a single issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to do this, but I have to chime in here.

Stats: 4 Month old iMac 27" Big Sur 3.8G 8-Core I7 16G DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700XT 16G, 2Tb SSD

I have been a Graphic designer and Print shop owner since around 2000. During that time I have been using the design based Adobe products (AI,PSD etc..) to earn my living. That's alot of programs purchased, and eventually sub'd to on may different systems (PC and MAC). I've seen every tweak these programs have ever introduced. But never in that time have I had so many issues with Photoshop as I have with PS21.

What's embarrassing is trying to open a medium sized PSD file to show a client a small tweak. Then having to apologize as I stall them while waiting 20 minutes for Photoshop to beachball me, and not open a file (Twice!). At which point I force quit and turn to my left, opening the same file on a VERY OLD low stat PC running PS19 within 20 seconds. Saving files? Well thats a fun workflow stopper too! Don't get me started on certain filter, and tool selection or image movement delays.

All I am questioning is: Why? Why has this release received so many workflow-wrecking dollar-draining bugs that have never showed themselves before?

I am so frustrated by this. Have they confounded the kernal programming to make PS user-friendly for tablet users? You know, the people who do not use this for their profession?

Sorry for the rant, but these issues have caused so many project delays and this seemed like a good place to vent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost track of how many threads with people having issues. In one thread someone suggested to look at Affinity Photo, I did and I am massively impressed. They have a 90 day trial so you have nothing to lose. I managed to spend an entire day yesterday working as I normally do except probably 200% faster with Affinity. Their inpainting tool, the equivalent of the Spot Healing Brush is able to do much more complex fixes than even Photoshop can do especially on big files. Opening files, saving files .... everything is faster. I will again today see if I can not open Photoshop even once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm over it. Finally cancelled my entire suite. This is just not acceptable for software for professionals.

Have switched to other software and already enjoying it... I can actually get work done again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to replace? I'm a digital painter and I've switched to clip studio paint, but I need a good alternative for text etc and then I can cut the cord. The only other feature I'll miss is the new seamless tiling view but I can get that in Krita. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved to affinity suite. the only thing lacking is the shapebuilder tool in AI which is on their list to implement. 
Unfortuatlly I have to keep CC becuase of clients. I'm just wishing this Adobe nightmare would end. I gringe when i have to open photoshop, after effects or animate. They are trash programs at this point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy you found software that work and I do not care the you consider Adobe Products trash.   I'm sure more Adobe users would move to affinity  suite if all the affinity suite lacks is AI shapebuilder tool.  Heck I don't use AI I just use Photoshop.  I do not use affinity photo it lacks importing features like scripting  many find affinity lacking features.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines