Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2023 is very slow compared to Photoshop 2022

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I notice since the automatic update of photoshop 2023 a big slowdown in its use. Even the backup of light files is very slow! 

I work on photographs captured with a NIKON D810 in RAW and my computer is an :

Apple Macbook Pro 16' (2019)

Processor 2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 8 cores
Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Translated with [MODERATOR: LINK REMOVED.]

Before the update I could work well and now it's very constraining.

Can you help me ?

Many thanks

Germain

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Have you encountered other cases where the problem happen? is there any other method to solve the problem?... Here is my situation. back in November, I updated to ver 24 the one with the old car in the splash screen, I immediately noticed the lag, changing layers, applying masks, resizing layers (sometimes it just crashed when resizing) even brightness contrast was sloppy at best, saving was like 10 minutes for a 150mb file. So I got back to ver 23.5 the one with the "star girl" in the splashcreen up to now works perfectly. I tried to update again a week ago to 24.2.1 and INITIALLY like the first 3 days it worked perfectly, I would say a lot better than before, but then It started lagging more and more with every project. I purged every temp uninstalled, clean reinstalled and it works for like 1 hour and gets slowed again, I have dedicated SSDs for scratch - cache, 12gen CI9 64gbRam, Radeon proW6800 32gbVram. When working in PS I always have resources monitor open but it never gets even at 5% usage nor a high data transmission rate on the ssds, I mean nothing in the system indicates the machine is bottlenecking or hanging due to overwork. I did everything on your recommended link and even fresh formatted and installed S.O. and everything again but no luck... I'm going back to 23.5 but It would be really nice to hear your opinion on this problem because it seems a lot of users in this forum and other sites are experiencing the same issues using the software on average to good machines which doesn't make much sense. What is Adobe's take on this?   thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker is having a similar/not quite the same but related issue. They have the most recent PS 2023 edition, and they've noticed that, often times at initiation of the program, the splash screen shows, then goes away, but the program never fully initiated. Checking Task Manager shows it perpetually in background processes. Nothing like their RAM or CPU is being overloaded. Trashing preferences does not fix it longterm. Sometimes restarting their computer improves it temporarily, but it also comes back. They did not experience the issues I had with the PS 24 versions freezing and shutting down/curripting files, but this feels like a similar situation. I'm on Windows 10 Pro and I think they have 11 Pro .

I have stayed downgraded to the 23.5.3 at this point as the 24 versions just don't seem reliable in any form for us yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, now that you mention it,  it sometimes did that splash screen thing, and the corrupting files error at least happen once, I remember I opened an old project to test-drive the update and lost the file when PS froze on saving. I downgraded again but the question remains and to be honest, its weird one can't find a straight answer like "it's your hardware" or smthg, I mean with the level of information the app gives away about your machine one would think some idea of the problem would be somehow traceable  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with the same issue, I have had no problems in PS 2022 and ever since the auto update to 2023 it has been painstakingly slow, and I have had several crashes in the new version - pretty much daily. I came here looking for some answers to why as well, I have looked into my preference settings and have it optimized, but something is simply not working the way it used to. I feel like it is this way every year when they do these auto updates to the program. It is beyond frustrating to see this happen when 2022 was working great as is. 

Hopefully there's an easy fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have looked into my preference settings and have it optimized" Did you try restoring your preferences using the link I posted above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac studio ultra running monterey.

I trashed my orefs totally and started with a fresh version of photoshop 2023.

Slow as heck. Just like the Mac pro 2013 I just mothballed.

I booted up 2022.

Muuuuuuch faster.

Please fix this adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also uninstalled and reinstalled

Horribly slow 

Going back to 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest beta version is also much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @ArtScrollCreative is it possible that you had run Ps 2023 in Rosetta mode to use a CEP panel, for instance, but forgot about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We experience the same. Photoshop 2023 is unusably slow for me and two colleagues alike. All drivers etc. are up to date. We have reverted back to 2022 for now. Been using Photoshop for 25 years and this is the worst update so far. Even counting that one update where Photoshop couldn't open jpg files for more than a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Ps 2023 (rel. 24.0.1 - I haven't updated to the later rel. b/c I read about bugs with the Neural Filters & Photo Restoration or Delete and Fill - I forget which...) is also much more sluggish than Ps 2022.

But I especially experience it with the Automate functions (like Photomerge) & with Neural Filters. It takes at least 20-25 secs for the Photomerge panel to pop up for me to select images. It was never (ever ever) like that in Ps 2022 & earlier (I used it a lot).

The lagginess only started after my update to Ps 2023.

(My prefs are fine, BTW, and I'm not resetting them & starting from scratch setting them all up again).

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. 64-bit. 64GB RAM. AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also noticing this - more pravelent when opening, saving a file, or when applying Camera Raw edits. Yesterday, working with PSD files made Photoshop unresponsive multiple times on different projects, despite them not being particularly large in dimension and only a couple layers.  Preference resets etc. make no difference. Using a Windows 10 desktop.

Later edit: I should add that, once a .PSD file has caused Photoshop 2023 to freeze and require a force quit, I can't save changes to that file anymore or edit it through Camera Raw. It's like this freeze up issue corrupts something in the file. Once a PSD file freezes up, trying to save changes to it, or apply changes from Camera Raw, will cause it to freeze up every single time going forward. I have to completely start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with PS 2023, it is so slow and I have had it crash on me several times.  Are there any changes planned to fix this with the 2023 version?  I saw above, some are going back to 2022 PS, I think I will try that for now.  UGH. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up as well and downgraded to 23.5.3 to avoid any of the ver. 24 issues. Noticing a significant improvement. The constant freezing of 24.1 corrupted about half of the PSD files I had made using it; any files open during a freeze could not be saved or edited in Camera Raw upon reopening the program. Doing so would freeze the program again and require a force-quit. I tried to work around this by copy-pasting my progress in one layer on a new blank document, and it caused the new document to behave the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I dread opening the applications. My CPU is a bit slower, same RAM. No reason to be sluggish on hover effects. This is not a hardware problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too and Adobe gave me the answer. Its one little button in the preferences (at least this worked in my case): just check this box in preferences (might sound slightly different in english PS): / technology preview / deactivate native workspace

User292785943zwp_0-1680784095360.png

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!!... thanks for sharing it did work!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question - has this affected other tools and features for you? I am currently trying this to help, and I noticed once I clicked this, some tools like Scrubby Zoom do not work, even when activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works fine for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely stopped a lot of my program's tools from working properly and is now sadly causing the same freezing issue that made me downgrade to an older Photoshop version in the first place, so I'm going to have to turn it back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorrry for the delay response, I just solved my problem changing a mouse setting called "polling rate" to 125 at least in this case it worked the change feels fluid even better than 23.x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this but sadly no improvements at all...

Btw, it's "Deactivate Native Canvas" in the English version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG!!! what the heck!? What was that?! Now it's fast as shiiiit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines