Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Black Screen?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

It seems that every time I boot up Photoshop, it opens as a black screen. The bar with file, edit etc is there but the rest is black. When I try to open a new or old file, the screen remains black. I've tried using older versions, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add to this list anything else you might  think is pertinent

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. So I don't know much about computers, but I've had a quick stalk of the HP serial and this is what I've got.

Operating system:  Windows 10 Home 64

Processor: Intel Core i7-8550U

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

RAM: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM

Adobe Version: Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.1 20180206.r.254 2018/02/06: 1156206  x64

I honestly have no idea if I've answered you properly, but I hope this helps.

I've included a screenshot too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for your response! I've turned off the Graphics Processor which is a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. Sadly nothing seems to have changed even on restart. I've also restored preferences and restarted too. Again, still met with a black screen.

Here's a screenshot if that helps. All of my brushes are saved and I don't really have any preferences yet either since I've been using the app as a hobby. I've updated the software from the Creative Cloud, but that hasn't changed anything either.

Hope this helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I feel like a real idiot, but it turns out that all I needed to do was update my graphics driver. Cheers buddy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, glad you got it sorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Everything is up to date on my mac, but when i open ps its all black just how yours used to be. But when i open a saved file my photoshop works perfectly fine. But when i open it from scratch its all black. It's weird. Help me out lads!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well- turning off and on the graphics processor in the Performance settings. Now I'm having issue opening older PSDs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May i ask what you've done to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Launch Photoshop.
  2. Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (Mac OS).
  3. Deselect Use Graphics Processor

The site said to reboot, but as soon as I deslected, my image appeared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked on Mac OS 10.15. Thanks very much!!! (If anyone is having other errors with 10.15, you MUST be on Photoshop v20 or v21. I was on the 'old' 2018 and it does not auto-update).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magic!! Thank you so much, fixed it instantly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this works for me to but deselect this is not a problem?? What it means?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not sure we can understand your message... Could you clarify? were you able to fix the black screen but CMD+D is now an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and this worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else that couldn't fix it by doing all the options suggested, I was able to fix mine by logging out of creative cloud then opening up photoshop & signing it again & it was corrected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im still having trouble with mine and nothing has worked so far unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I really need help nothing worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem how did it work for you? When I open up photoshop all it comes out is a black screen with the settings at the top:( HELP!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if on a Pc: did you try the link give higher up?

This issue is often caused by conflicting GPU drivers, see step 7 in this help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrouble...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't get to the Prefs in Photoshop because the SCREEN IS BLACK. This is totally unacceptable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines