• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Crashes After Quitting on macOS High Sierra - Any Solutions?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS5 (mostly for drawing cartoons & comics) and when I was using macOS Sierra, it would crash after I quit the application, other than that it was working fine. I was able to fix it by changing the folder name “CS5ServiceManager” to “CS5ServiceManager.bak”.

However, recently I’ve Just updated my Mac to macOS High Sierra and now I’m having the same problem again and I don’t know how to fix it since the folder name is still the same “CS5ServiceManager.bak”. I was thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop CS5 since I still have the disk but I’m not sure if it'll fix it. So far, Photoshop only crashes when I’m quitting the application. (Which I find odd since how can a software crash after closing it?) But as long that I’m still able to use Photoshop, that’s all that matters right? Or am I better using an alternative software for my art?

And so far it’s only Photoshop that‘s having the crashing problem, I did a quick check on Illustrator and Flash and they don’t crash after quitting the applications.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, Photoshop only crashes when I’m quitting the application. (Which I find odd since how can a software crash after closing it?)

Nothing odd about it. Programs don't simply cease operation, they have to actively unload from memory, stop threads and auxiliary processes, wipe temporary files. The rest are probably some kind of compatibility issue. After all, your CS 5 version is now getting old and was never designed or tested for High Sierra.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not tested?  I paid enough for that program to be tested forever!  Where do you find that information or are you just guessing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

petemcl  wrote

Not tested?  I paid enough for that program to be tested forever!  Where do you find that information or are you just guessing?

CS5 is 7 years old and they couldn't know what Apple would do seven years in the future. Which is quite a lot. Apple is well known to drop legacy support for frameworks and APIs, used by older software, without notice. In short, they are not providing backwards compatibility.

When a new Photoshop version is released (we've had seven of them since CS5), the previous versions are dead and they get no more updates. Those go to the current version. This is how all companies operate, and this is why you need to upgrade and can't stay with old software forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ARE optimistic. Not how software makers work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know but if Photoshop wasn't so dxxm expensive . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution for the Photoshop 5.5 crashes after quitting. On my machine, which is an older Mac Pro I have 2 separate drives, both SSDs. The main Boot Drive has OS 10.13.2 on it. A second drive has an older OS on it - 10.9.5, which I boot from to use older programs. It is on this drive that Photoshop 5.5 resides. I find that if I 'cross-launch' Photoshop from this drive while running the computer from the 10.13.2 drive the crashes disappear. The older system was formatted using an Extended (Journaled) format whereas the drive with 10.13.2 is formatted with Apple's newer APFS format. I believe this is the cause of the crashes. Using separately formatted partitions may also work to isolate Photoshop in a Extended (Journaled) environment. The Scratch Disk Preferences also seek out disk space using the Extended (journaled) format, so if you want maximum efficiency, you'll need another empty drive formatted as Extended (Journaled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, they stopped selling it completely now because people didn't upgrade, and they needed to. Instead, you can subscribe to Photoshop from $10 per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just waisted 30 mins. chatting with someone from Adobe on how to fix the issue. They kept typing to me that they appreciated my patience and then after 30 mins. gave me the link for the forum. I had already went through the forum looking for an answer before contacting them. Please advise how to get rid of the annoying pop up that "Photoshop had quit unexpectedly". It was totally not "unexpectedly" because I closed the program myself and knew I was closing it. It was totally "expected".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution. I am using Photoshop CS5 (version 12.0.4) with macOS High Sierra (10.13.3). As far as I can tell everything in the program functions properly, but I have not done extensive testing. An annoying behaviour was that upon quitting Photoshop, it would unexpectedly quit. Annoying, but no harm done if all documents were saved and closed first. If the following Plug-in is removed, the unexpectedly quit is not presented.

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Extensions/ScriptingSupport.plugin

However, if one requires the scripting support I guess one is out of luck.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dianed34433322  wrote

If the following Plug-in is removed, the unexpectedly quit is not presented.

This worked for me.  Don't need to script PS currently, so Yay!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoying, but no harm done if all documents were saved and closed first. If the following Plug-in is removed, the unexpectedly quit is not presented.

This did NOT work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me at first, either.  You have to right-click on ScriptingSupport.plugin, click "Show Package Contents," then click through to /Contents/MacOS/ScriptingSupport.  This ScriptingSupport file is what's causing the crashes.  I didn't delete it, I just renamed it "ScriptingSupportOLD."  No more crashes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked like a charm for me, no more crashes, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am an awful Luddite and only recently upgraded to High Sierra, and had this CS5 crash upon quit problem, until I tried your brilliant solution. Thanks so much for helping. Eliminating aggravations is always welcome. Bliss! Saved as a screenshot for future reference if it happens again. Kudos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing scriptingsupport didn't work for me in high sierra. 10.13.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Removing this extension worked for me on "high Sierra" with an APSD formatted SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me CS5 12.0.4 High Sierra 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, also worked for me—CS5 12.0.4 High Sierra 10.13.6—as well.

Zipped "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Extensions/ScriptingSupport.plugin" and trashed the original plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: To run any features that require scripts (such as Image Processor), you will need to reinstall the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks removing that script file fixed it for me. No more crash.   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, worked fine for me on OS Mojave. Just renamed ScriptingSupport.plugin as ScriptingSupport-old.plugin.

So it's still there when needed.

Thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing!! It worked for me. I've been looking for a solution to this for months! You're a genious, Many, many thanks!

Roy P

Mac OS X 10.14.2. CS5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This partly worked for me in macOS Mojave 10.14.6 / Adobe Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 x64, with one change - I had to move ScriptingSupport.plugin to the root of the Adobe Photoshop CS5 directory. I also noticed that it still crashes when you attempt to close a window or file via the close / X button, but it doesn't crash if you use the top menu option or Command + W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines