• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezing at 99% when saving file.

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. At about a week long I cant save files with smart objects and smart effects. Saving always freezing at 99% and force quit is needed. After Im not able to start PS and I need to restart mac. All the changes I made are lost of course. Is it a bug or is there any solution? Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Hi @Mallory5FE2 ,

Sorry to hear about your damaged file. Please follow the information at https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-freezing-at-99-when-saving-file/m-p/11651448#M491185 

This should resolve the problem. If you are saving to local disk then the small files have used up all your memory and your virtual memory is not sufficient to manage the files. Follow the instructions for the settings suggested and remove files you are finished with or not working with to an external dr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 195 Replies 195
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's running totally fine locally.

I have a feeling that it doesn't like windows-formatted drives at all. I can see it especially when I save it on the network drive, because what happens is that finder also gets frozen. And finder already has established smb connections to the network servers.

So what I tell the users now is to save it locally and then move it to the server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Adobe for years has warned against direct saving to networks or external drives from Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html 

It basically comes down to Photoshop saves faster than the drive can write the information. So you are either stuck at ~98% while the media/server catches up or worse it corrupts the file by ending the transaction before the file is completely written to the external destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same 99% issue: PS2020+Catalina MacOS+Scandisk 1TB USB-3.1 exFAT formated SSD disk with files. I do not understand, why Adobe cannot make PS save the file in a temporary location on the local drive before saving it to whatever external location is. I am pretty sure, this is a default write procedure to external devices in any OS: via a temporary buffer. I do not think this is the problem. I think that it does save file to a local temporary file and then something prevents copying it to external device, hence 99%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not saving temp files and copying to an external. It is attempting to write directly to the external but with the Catalina security issues with external drive formats, it is getting hung up with a direct write.

It's not just Photoshop - I have the same issue saving out large database files from Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving locally and transferring is the correct method, albeit time consuming.

It allows the files to transfer at the speed at which the destination can write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I know. It used to work fine though before we have upgraded to Catalina OS. And the users who are still on Mohave and/or Highg Sierra write directly tothe network disk without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear its only going to get worse with Mac OS - Mojave was the last version to have some semblance of common-sense security. Catalina took it way too far and locked down too much causing a lot of issues incl. with Photoshop specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are running Windows formatted drives, Catalina is your issue. A number of users have reported issues attempting to save to a non-mac/FAT format.

Unfortunately the only solution I have seen is reformatting the drive to a Mac-compatible format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still running Mojave, not Catalina, and am using my regular internal Mac SSD. Macbook Pro 2017. Same problem. Force quit is required so no error prompt. Full disk access good to go, I added it, still same issue. This issue only began after updating Photoshop to the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexandrarae,

Thank you for that update. It would helpful if you say what version and build you speak of when you say latest. Different people has different updates as "the latest".

Also the more reports go directly to Adobe, the faster the fix will come about. When you send the report please remember to include all details as stated above, and others if relevant. Do not assume anything when reporting. Make the report as detailed as possible, and include your e-mail address.

Regards

JG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have been having a similar issue after having updated to PS 2020. But I have a possible work around for your problems. 
I am on an iMac Pro running the latest version of CatalinaOS saving into a 4TB Samsung SSD via USBc to USBc cable.
Someone in this thread mentioned that when the writing speeds of photoshop do not match the writing speed of your external hard disk or network server, PS can get hung up and stop. That seems to have been the case for me. I would save a file and it would freeze at a random percent and then I would have to restart the whole system to get PS running again. Very frustrating. 

My thought was, maybe my HD was too fast for PS. So I switched my cable to a USBc to USBb cable. I am now able to save without a problem. 

I understand not all Macs have USBb slots so this is not a quick fix for some, especially if you are on a macbook pro or something. My suggestion would then be to get an adapter that will slow the signal down so the writing speeds match up better.

For people having issues over networks, I apologize for not having a solution for you. 

I hope this helps at least a few people.

Best of luck,

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Osaka,

Thank you for that bit of information. Since the hanging of Photoshop 2020 is not unique to Mac OS, and as you have highlighted, that cable is likely not compatible with all computers using photoshop, it might be helpful for your to send this information as a feedback directly to Adobe from your photoshop application.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread seems to be very specific to Catalina OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If actually read the whole conversation, all of the posts and comments you will see that it is NOT Catalina specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JG,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I am not sure how I am able to send my feedback. 

Can you please inform me how?

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Osaka,

I tried to find the link to a form page I found some time ago but just not getting there. This is however my suggestion.

1. On the Photoshop App click on help at the top 

On the dropdown page click on Photoshop help

On the open page click on support

Then contact us, and take it from there.

2. If you need to send system info you find that by clicking Help on the Photoshop app

Then click on System Info. As soon as that is generated you may copy.

3. To send videos or images 

"Open assets.adobe.com. Then upload the image. Then you can see three dots and then you can click on the three dots. Then click on share. Then click on get link. Copy the link and share it (with the agent you get at option 1)" .  

I do hope that helps. I tried on several occasion to get an e-mail address or form link with no success as per my earlier post with the instruction I recieved stating required information to report a bug.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Osaka_Geoff, I suggest to post a thread on https://feedback.photoshop.com with as much details as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoff,

Thanks for this suggestion/discovery.  That completely fixed my problem, except for the extra adapter I need.

I'm running OS Catalina 10.15.2 on a Macbook Pro 13" 2019 with Photoshop 20.0.2.  I import my files into Lightroom and save them onto an external Samsung SSD T5.  I have been using the USBc to USBc cable as these are the only ports my Macbook has.  But my SSD also came with an extra cable USBc to USBb.  So after reading your suggestion, I used that cable, ran it into an adapter which goes back into the USBc port and it runs fine.  It's a bit of a clunky fix, but it works.  I'm just extatic that I don't have to force quit everything and restart my computer.  This has been a total headache.  So thank you very much for your post!  I trust Adobe can get this figured out in the near future so we can use the speed of the USBc connection.  

Kind regards,

Jason 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! I am glad I was able to help.

Regards,

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also havig this issue. Still no fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read/tried any of the suggested solutions posted in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen my dear friend, you won't find any solution here for this problem. I've had the same issue and never gotten help from some losers call themselves "Adobe Community Professional"!! 

Problem

• The problem with Photoshop CC 2019/2020 with all recent "updates". 
  • You will lose your files and even more worse your orginal files will be damaged.

Solution:

• Download photoshop cc 2018 or older! untill Adobe fix this mess! 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amrht,

I assume you along with those others who are not havig fix, have not read through the thread, and thus have not read the instructions that The Adobe Comunity Professional has posted that you all should do in order to get your issue fixed. But then those who share the same opinion as you will not want to pay attention, being it comes from an ACP. Well, it did not originate from an ACP. It originated from a Staff Member. The ACP is only the messenger in this case.

I never say it because I didn't think it necessary, since all one with wisdom need to do is to follow instruction and see how it works. I don't own a Mac, but I had the same problem. The only difference with my Window 10 issue and the Mac OS issue is I did not know at what percentage saving my files the application crashed and froze requireing a restart of my computer. Unlike the Mac OS customers, a Crash Report form popped up for me. The ACP stated clearly what to do in the abscence of a crash report form, however it seem to have fell on many blind eyes.

I am currently using Photoshop 2020. It no longer crash and freezes at save. I used it up to last evening. Adobe cannot fix what they do not know about. Do your part and Adobe will do thiers.

Regards

JG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amrh12908706,

I did respond to your other posts offering a solution specific to Mac OS Catalina.

You have yet to respond on those threads whether or not this worked for you or not.

Please let us know if you have done everything outlined in the thread before name calling and interjecting on other threads complaining.

This is a process. If you don't work with us - how do you expect anyone to help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines