• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezing at startup on Halide Bottlenecks

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open photoshop and the program is frozen on "Adding extension... Halide Bottlenecks" has this happened to anyone else and is there any way to fix this problem...I am working on a deadline and need Photoshop to open as soon as possible...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a known issue on macOS Catalina.  See these related help articles.

Known issues in Photoshop

Photoshop freezes at launch

Moving question from Get Started to Photoshop. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem some days ago do any one here can tell me what is that extension for? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its either corrupt color presets or a large preset format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm also having this problem, but don't see any large preset files as described in "Freeze-on-Launch" above (the largest is 787 bytes.) Is there another way out of this? No version of Photoshop will now launch on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a mac. I right-clicked on the Photoshop app >  Show Package Content > Contents >  Plugins > Required > Extensions then added a ~ before HalideBottlenecks.plugin. No problems the past week since I've done this. Maybe for some users/uses, it's required but whatever great addition this is, I'm not missing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gee eee the halide plugin helps certain imaging functions to go faster. It's usually the last plugin that is loaded, so if Photoshop chokes for some other reason AFTER the plugin loads, it can appear as if Halide caused the crash.

If you are still disabling the plugin, we'd be curious to know whether re-enabling it causes the error to come back; it would be great to chase down a problem if it's going on, since we have more halide optimizations planned for the future.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, can't open Photoshop at all. First it was freezing at "halide bottlenecks" so I added the ~ next to the file. Now it's freezing at "MMXcore routines" or "multiprocessor support" and still won't ever open. Sooo frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this aptly named Halide Bottlenecks? Why do we need it and/or how can we disable it? I already hit shift when starting up Photoshop to disable plug-ins but this bottleneck still loads.  I mean it does say it's an extension but when I search my computer, I can't find it. Where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its either a corrupt color profile or larger preset setting. Use the freeze on launch solution listed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I tried all the possible solutions mentioned above but none of them work. I still get ' adding extention ...halide bottlenecks.

I'm working on a new Mac Mini M1. When I try to open Photoshop on my MacBook Pro 2015 it first shows the adding extention...halide bottleneck' but it swiftly switches to ' checking preferences and than opens, but on this new computer I can't get it to work. 

Lightroom is working just fine. 

Can you please help!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggeling with the same problem. The Beta version doesn't work either. I reinstalled multiple versions but nothing works. I'm using a new mac Book pro with the M1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaulti4wjcis395eb @jannar93524538 , if you create a new administrator account and provide Photoshop all the necessary access in Security and Privacy settings, does that work?

It sounds like it's getting hung up on writintg the preferences file, which could be disk access issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, this worked!! now I can open it in my other administrator account but how can I get it opened in my original account? Please help... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe run through this document while logged in as administrator, changing access rights for all the necessary folders, then log in with your original account and see if it works.

Required permissions for Photoshop

Or start your new identity today with your new account. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mark.Dahm really hope you can help me. I used Migration Assistant to transfer my account from an old Macbook Pro to a new Macbook Air M1. I've tried running Photoshop but it keeps freezing at launch (on Halide Bottlenecks). I've then created another admin account, reinstalled Photoshop there and it runs, but I need to be able to run Photoshop in my original account. How can I do that? I've tried copying the "Adobe" folder from "Application Support", changing permissions to that folder and enclosed items but Photoshop keeps hanging and it's very frustrating. I mean, it's odd that I uninstall all Adobe products in my Creative Cloud plan, I delete the Creative Cloud app itself, then reinstall everything and Photoshop keeps hanging! Looking forward to your insight into this. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it! I just cleaned and deinstalled all adobe products using the cleaner tool, then reinstalled the latest versions, starting with creativ cloud and the Lightroom and Photoshop and now it works perfectly fine. I think I had some old versions or something like that that caused the problem. Had the programs installed automatically over my iCloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaulti4wjcis395eb what "cleaner tool" are you referring to? Where can I download that? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

How and when to use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool | Advanced steps

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Nancy OShea I've executed that tool, did the complete cleanup and then reinstalled the Creative Cloud app, then reinstalled Photoshop and it still keeps freezing at launch. I believe this is due to having migrated my account from an old Mac to a new one using Migration Assistant, but it's frustrating that I've tried several things (as described above) and Photoshop still won't run (not the current version, nor previous ones or the M1 Beta). Any insight? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any experience troubleshooting the migration assistant, so if the issue is embedded in there, I may not be able to help.

But thinking out loud, here, it's possible the migration assistant moved all your prefs over from the old system, where a better choice may be to let Photoshop generate its preferences 'organically' from that system. Try manually deleting the prefs, and let Photoshop regenerate new ones from scratch.

Backup beforehand if you want to, but delete the folder, as described here: Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mark.Dahm I've been finally able to run Photoshop. As I mentioned, I've used the Cleaner tool and, even though it removed the Adobe files in my User Library (/user/Library/) there was still a big "Adobe" folder in the Root Library (/Library/). I've deleted that entire "Adobe" folder, then reinstalled Creative Cloud and then Photoshop now it runs fine. Thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I woke up today to all of my Adobe apps failing to load. Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I tried uninstalling them all, and that didn't help. Photoshop stops trying to load on the Halide Bottleneck. Illustrator tried to run a diagnostic after it failed to load the first time, and it froze on step 1. I'm on a tight deadline with thousands of dollars at stake. Should I try manually deleting all things Adobe, and start from scratch so all new prefs files are built? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DVous , sorry for this situation. My guess is that something went south with the creative cloud sync agent, and a fresh install of the creative cloud desktop is in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines