• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop without AI?

New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has become so laden with AI tools it is difficult to use without. I am a photojournist and photo instructor so very constrained it what editing tools I can use -- and teach -- for ethical and professional reasons. Lightroom is probably the best alternative, but I am not crazy about it and there are some things you can't do in LR that you can in PS. Do others in the community have this concern? What does Adobe suggest? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a huge ethical difference between AI tools which are just using AI to make the tool work better, for example to make more accurate selections, and generative AI functions which, as the name suggests, generate new image content.

I would continue to use Photoshop but just avoid those generative AI functions.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note that AI features are now being added to the editing tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw, so the answer is not in those applications.

One way Adobe is addressing this is by starting to support the Content Authenticity Initiative; the Content Credentials feature in Photoshop can disclose the use of AI in a document. But unfortunately, that doesn’t help someone avoid accidentally using AI in the first place, and I don’t think it can tell you where you used it in a document, so it’s not a complete solution.

It’s also increasingly difficult to identify effective alternatives, because this is an industry-wide problem: Many of the good photo applications that are not currently using AI are scrambling to add it as soon as they can, for competitive reasons. So unless software companies start doing things like enabling a master switch for AI throughout the app, the long-term solution for your question is not clear right now.

The only thing I can think of is this: The first time you use an AI feature, a dialog box pops up asking you to agree to the AI terms of use. If you always decline to agree, that might mean you aren’t using any generative AI editing features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines