• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please fix 'View > Flip Horizontal' to flip canvas on it's vertical axis to maintain it's location.

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the 'View > Flip Horizontal' option to flip my canvas quite frequently to review my design and make changes, time and again. While doing so, the canvas location moves and forces me to bring it back to it's original location by manually dragging it with the hand tool. Doing this frequently, breaks the flow of working efficiently, and slows down work when having to do it multiple times is quite the norm.

This is the canvas, in it's original orientation :
before flip.PNG

The canvas when flipped via View > Flip Horizontal :
after flip.PNG

What is actually expected:
after flip expected.PNG

This accurate flipping of the canvas is possible via Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal, but gets very laggy when there are lots of layers and all of them have to be flipped on the canvas at the same time, only to get laggy again when we have to flip them back to their original orientation, which slows down working considerably while taking you out of the creativity mode.

Which is why the 'View > Flip Horizontal' is a great option for a virtual preview of flipping the canvas, but it needs to retain it's flipping on the vertical axis, just like the option 'Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal' does, otherwise, it defeats the purpose with having to reset the location of the canvas on every flip.

I hope it is resolved at the earliest. 🙂

Using PS 25.4.0
Win 10
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6TB

#photoshop #flip #fliphorizontal #maintainverticalaxisonflippingcanvas

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

If you don't mind your document being in the center of the workspace, go Edit>Preferences>Tools and uncheck Overscroll

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of flipping the view throughout your workflow, you could keep the original view as is and make a new window where the view remains flipped. To make the new window you would go to Window > Arrange > New Window for [name of document]. Then in this new window apply View > Flip Horizontal.

For viewing it with your original window's view, you could go to Window > Arrange > 2-up Vertical (or horizontal if that works better for your image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion @Myra Ferguson 🙂

It is what I was doing a while back, but with a heavy file with multiple layers, working with a duplicate file taxes the system and slows down process causing brush lag etc. Hence the virtual flipping it turns out to be a better, less process hungry option.

Is flipping the canvas along it's vertical axis difficult to do? It is already been implemented in 'Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal' which however, also gets laggy when used with heavy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a new window for the same file, it isn't a duplicate of the file. It's another view of the same file. With the new window of the same file open, you can keep one view as is and the other view as flipped. The arrangement I recommended would let you view them side by side.

You wouldn't need to flip the canvas  (in addition to using the flipped view) because whatever you do to the file will also be reflected in the other window of the same file.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Myra, 
By duplicate, I meant a new window of the same file. Sorry for the miscommunication 🙂

From my experience, working with a new window of the same file, increased resource usage of the pc and slowed down photoshop. Will try it agqain with the new version nonetheless.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, this feature is absolutely necessary!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the functionality of the content has changed from ps2022 v23.5 to the current state.

The workaround I know is to install a version between cc2018 and ps2022 v23.3~4, and the second way is to change your habits.

The previous version of Photoshop in between works as you wish.

As you know, the horizontal flipping of the previous method was causing inconvenience to those who were working by zooming in on the canvas.

If you can't get an earlier version of Photoshop, there's a way to get into the habit of putting a canvas in the center of the workspace. The current standard is that horizontal flipping is running into the center of the workspace rather than the canvas.

This is the simplest way, but changing habits can be quite cumbersome.

As far as I know, I think these two are ways to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thank you for the insights!

"As you know, the horizontal flipping of the previous method was causing inconvenience to those who were working by zooming in on the canvas."

You mean in the previous method, when the file was being zoomed in, it would remain in the same place but flipped, and that was an inconvenience?

I understand about incorporating new habits and I am totally down for that, but resetting the canvas everytime on flipping it, (if we do it quite often in our workflow) gets quite abruptive, and takes us out of the productive flow state.

Thank you for mentioning the versions in which it was working as preferred. Much appreciate the direction and helpful information 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it helped you

This is because in the previous method, when you zoom in and work on a long canvas, you have to travel a very long distance when you turn it upside down.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/flipping-the-canvas-on-the-workspace-...

There was an opinion on the way that this was overturned based on the canvas at the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is because in the previous method, when you zoom in and work on a long canvas, you have to travel a very long distance when you turn it upside down."

This is what is happening in the current version as well when we flip the canvas from left to right and vice versa. We have to re-drag the canvas to the position we want to work upon, when zoomed in.

Disabling Overscroll option in Edit> Preferences >Tools, mostly resolves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The current version of View > flip hrizontal does not require you to move the screen even if you flip it while zooming in.

Because the flipping is made around the center of the workspace, the discomfort of those who zoom in on the canvas has been reduced. However, this has created inconveniences for those who use small canvases and do not place them in the center.

When this feature was created, it worked the same way as image > flip canvas horizontal, so a community post posted in the above answer was written.

I might not be able to communicate well because I use a translator

I hope it's an answer that I understand exactly what you're saying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind your document being in the center of the workspace, go Edit>Preferences>Tools and uncheck Overscroll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so good! It's just what I was looking for.

Just one thing, the hand tool seems to get disabled and I am unable to move the canvas when it is completely visible on the screen. It is movable when we zoom into the canvas till the entire canvas is not visible anymore.
Being able to move the canvas around even when it is fully visible is quite helpful when we have other photoshop windows open for reference etc.

Any workaround for that? 

The overscroll solution is super helpful with the flipping of the canvas without shifting the orientation. Thank you for suggesting that!

Edit: Resolved the hand tool being disabled problem by figuring out a workaround by detaching the working window itself, and moving it around to where I'd like it to be.

Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines