Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG files not transparent in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Is anyone else having issues exporting files as png, on the preview it looks transparent but is saving with a white background. When I bring the image back in photoshop, background is still white. It was fine yesterday. Dont know if I am doing something wrong or if there is a bug. Please help, I have searched youtube and forums and can't find an answer that works

{Title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Hi @Juanita M22462745z6dj 

Thanks for reaching out; we will help you with this.

How are you saving the files? What is the file format? 

If you have Photoshop Layers, and you remove or delete the background so that it is transparent --- it will stay transparent in the PSD file, but if you try to export to export it for the web, you might see a WHITE background for GIF, PNG, and JPEG. 

If the PNG is not showing transparent in Photoshop, go to the Properties panel (if it's not open, you can go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Juanita M22462745z6dj 

Thanks for reaching out; we will help you with this.

How are you saving the files? What is the file format? 

If you have Photoshop Layers, and you remove or delete the background so that it is transparent --- it will stay transparent in the PSD file, but if you try to export to export it for the web, you might see a WHITE background for GIF, PNG, and JPEG. 

If the PNG is not showing transparent in Photoshop, go to the Properties panel (if it's not open, you can go to Window > Properties), and under the Artboard background color, change the dropdown menu to Transparent.

Let us know if that answers the question.

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted my background and get a white background upon saving. So dumb. Serves absolutely no purpose but to waste people's time. 

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Adobe expects the "community" to be "kind and respectful", their products have many issues. The solutions mentioned here have not workd for me. I used to be able to export a PNG with transparency with no issues. Do they make it difficult on purpose??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still not working. WTF...it used to be so easy, a no-brainer...now it's all but impossible????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with this for weeks! Nothing works.  I've spent hours and hours on help chat and no one can answer this question. How to keep background transparent (it turns white) when exporting as PNG? I'm doing it exactly right and nothing works, not saving for web, not exporting with transparency box checked, I uncheck GPU composting, and now I created an artboard and changed the background to transparent and instead of white -- it shows up as gray. Can anyone please, please help me? I'm an Adobe stock contributor, and notice other folks listing transparent PNG files all the time -- how are they doing it?

Thanks,

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue came up in our Discord, the workaround was to drop the .PNG into Adobe XD or Illustrator, and from there export as a .png and try opening that newly saved .png inside of Photoshop. It seems to be an alpha channel issues for some .pngs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may export it (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-W) as a PNG directly from Photoshop. Then it will have a transparent background. If you export to an other format it will have a white background in the saved file. Stupid, but that is how it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. I've never had this issue before 😕 so frustrating. I just want my background to be transparent. Am I supposed to now switch to a different app? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I felt like a fool when I realized I had a background layer preventing me from saving as PNG. As soon as I delted the background layer I was able to save as a PNG like normal.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in case this helps anyone else, check your artboard properties. althrough every layer may be transparent, the artboard seems to apply a white background to itself? my fix was switching this to transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this for myself by ungrouping the artboard. Let me know if that works for you. I had this same issue and it was so frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it did, thanks mate! YOU ROCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines