• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"write permissions error" in Photoshop

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make some adjustments in a .cr2 file, that I'm opening within Photoshop, but whenever I click "done" or try to save the file as a JPEG, I get "there was a write permissions error." I'm on a Mac running High Sierra, and recently updated Photoshop to the latest version (v 21.2). I have tried the following fixes:
• creating a new admin account to test whether the error would recur for another user (it did)

• installing the updated Camera Raw plug-in, downloaded from the Adobe website

• deleting a third-party plug-in that I thought might be interfering

• throwing away the Camera Raw preferences

• switching the preferences between "Ignore sidecar XMP files" and "Embed XMP" (I have no idea what this means, but some commenter on another thread suggested trying it)

• restarting Photoshop

• restarting my computer

• making sure the file is unlocked

None of these things helped, and I obviously can't complete the job if I can't save the changes I made to the file. Any other ideas I could try? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Eight days later, I finally figured out the problem. The folder I had my files in had come directly from a camera memory card, and it apparently had some kind of lock on it (even though I'm the administrator on my machine). I had unlocked individual files, but not the entire folder. I just created a new folder and copied the files into it, and voila! I can work on the files and save them--no "write permissions" errors. I thought I should post here in case anybody else has the same issue in futur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Just tried this from another thread... 

Dropbox is apparently the issue!

Worked for me. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/write-permissions-error-photoshop-2021-version-22-1-on-macos-big-sur-version-11-1/m-p/12354194#M579879

But still Adobe, make it work a few people are using dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eight days later, I finally figured out the problem. The folder I had my files in had come directly from a camera memory card, and it apparently had some kind of lock on it (even though I'm the administrator on my machine). I had unlocked individual files, but not the entire folder. I just created a new folder and copied the files into it, and voila! I can work on the files and save them--no "write permissions" errors. I thought I should post here in case anybody else has the same issue in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Saved me so many headaches with your solution - you rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't manage to solve the same error when trying to export a GIF (from a png sequence from AE) in Photoshop. But, I manage to click the Globe button on the Export options box (Preview the optimized image in a browser) and could save it from there. Not a solution, just a work around in this particular case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was a great workaround ! Thank you for sharing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an amazing workaround. Just found it and saving me hours of messing about.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a great workaround! I was searching for solutions since yesterday when I first encountered this problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! Never knew about that little globe feature but it's definitely saving me on this very busy day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know either! I just start clicking around everything when I can't find what I want hehe
Great to see this is healping many ppl 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree - GREAT work around thanks for posting 0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! The only thing that worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is a potential solution for not being able to "save for web" (and also "export as")  and getting write issues for animated GIFs as an example.

One thing I noticed was that every time I pressed save, the folder in the finder window would always be the "Documents" folder which I never use. Is this consistent with everyone else's issues?

With this in mind, I went into systems preferences and gave Photoshop "Full Disc Access" which it did not have (see below). After saving and resetting Photoshop, the issues still occurred but after about 10 minutes everything worked. Maybe a proper reset would solve this quicker.

Please give this a try (and give it a little time) and see whether it works 🙂

Dotschko_0-1613995623656.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this in conjunction with changing the write permissions on the project folder whilst also adding read/ write access for the admin account. Make sure to click "Apply to enclosed items".

Dotschko_1-1613996532289.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who's looking and doesn't need the newest version of PS, I re-installed ver 22.2.9 and it works fine. Not sure how old it is but at least I don't get the "write permissions error." Hopefully, Adobe will see these threads and get the latest version fixed as I had no issues until the last update. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all suggested solutions. Why is this still a topic? Adobe? Where are you? This is not a minor error it is frustrating and a key fundction in the our workday. Come on... please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True! Even when I need to explain to my co-workers they have a hard time believing this is an issue... Cause you wouldn't expect this from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this from another thread... 

Dropbox is apparently the issue!

Worked for me. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/write-permissions-error-photoshop-202...

But still Adobe, make it work a few people are using dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. We pay the fee (£50 a month) to use a program that is clearly not fit for purpose! Life is too short for us (the client) to work out 'why', 'what is not working' and give them 'log files of the error'. Will be demanding a refund if this continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that helped me to those still looking for a solution - in the save for web dialog box, there is a place for METADATA - make sure it is not blank and has "Copyrigh and Contact Info" listed in there - I never changed this but it was changed by itself to a blank and would not let me save files until I changed this back. Hope that helps - I literally tried everything listed here and this was the problem. Adobe changed my setting and I had to change it back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I couldn't save my work in my new version... didn't have permission to write... figured it out after adjusting preferences, etc. all afternoon... click on main folder of Photoshop and go to Get info... turn on write the whole file... it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines