• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

R.I.P. JJMack

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My father recently passed away. He was known here as JJMack. This community was a big part of his life. After retiring from IBM, this is where he would spend a great deal of his time trying to help people as best he could. His strength was figuring out how things work, communication was not.  Despite this, he was able to amass 38,147 Posts, 9206 Likes, and most importantly 3437 solutions.

I'm sure his posts will live on and continue to help people. I work with Photoshop professionally myself and occasionally will research a problem I am having only to find a solution posted here by my father. In the future it will be bitter sweet when this happens again.

Goodbye, world.

JJMack
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May he rest in Peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sincere prayers and condolences. JJ was a treasure and will be sorely missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible keep his Photoshop scripting mouseprints site working and put obituary note on main page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kukurykus is it legal to download his scipts and post them on github? BTW, is Paul Riggott still with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure he wouldn't be against sharing it on GitHub seeing how much he tried make other users to play freely with his tools. Paul Riggott gave up when after 10 years Bridge team did not solve bugs he reported, while introducing another ones 😞 His heritage is at Paul-Riggott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure he wouldn't be against sharing it on GitHub

By @Kukurykus

That's not the same as being legal. The heirs must decide this.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So his work probably is lost unless his daughter visit this thread again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, it does not have to be lost forever – no matter what happens (and even without GitHub)...

All someone has to do is make sure that every page and every link/download there is permanently archived here:

https://web.archive.org/

(Look for "Save Page Now" at the lower right.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course it is, but it's unfriendly space for beginners he wrote scripts for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the scripts have been shared here for the purpose of helping others, and no benefit is made by just archiving them?

If that's the case, there should be a way to get some form of license on all the code snippets...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how the scripts were licensed. A permissive/free license would do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to post his scripts here, but GitHub is probably a better option. There are a lot of scripts and I want to organize them before archival. I will provide a link upon completion.

BTW, I am John's son. He is also survived by my mother and my 3 siblings (2 sons and 2 daughters including myself). John is also survived by 5 grandchildren, 4 boys and my darling daughter. We adored him immensely.  You've probably seen each of us in his examples at some point in our lives.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it's done link us to there. It'll be much easier to find the amount of published scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good to hear, and will help continue his legacy of helping others. Thank you @Ognar!

You can see by the immense outpouring of condolences and support on this thread how much he was loved and will be missed. I've never really seen anything like it here before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. The death of other very known Photoshop scripter Michael_L_Hale focused half less attention. At least the alike matter, so restoring his repository ended with success:

PS-Scripts.com temporarily suspended?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say (again): Please accept my prayers and condolences. Give your family my regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very, very much for preserving his digital legacy!

Scripting might seem arcane to some, but I'm glad that you are aware that his generosity has generated smiles thanks to collages given to family members all over the world, helped some earn their income, nurtured many users and facilitated them to develop their knowledge and understanding, and I'm confident, even being someone that struggles to understand how a simple script works, that it will pay forward, for countless scripters and users of scripts!

Merci Ognar, and merci JJMack, and all scripters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be too late if nothing was done so far with his website:

Account Suspended / This Account has been suspended.

Contact your hosting provider for more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear his website is no longer live.

However, it looks like the site has been archived over the years on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220130105643/http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

Hopefully most or all of it is still available there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up Jim.  I have sent several people to JJ's site over the years, and it would be sad if those tools were lost.  I love seeing old threads with posts from JJ and Norman come up.  Especially so when they are marked with the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely simple users are going to use it. That's bad as this forum is flooded by JJMack links to particular sections and scripts of his site (that can't be so easily found in archive without time and effort). The links to his site were shared also by many members of community, so again, now most of these threads are going to be useless while his contribution is going to not be helpful anymore, but making frustration when browsing broken references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry for your loss. JJMack was always willing to help those of us who had questions or problems. My condolences to you and your family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. He was always participating. I knew he would eventually leave us. Just didn't think it would be so soon. Thanks for the update.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very personal. I'm sure all those people he helped put them on their way to succsess. I'm so sorry, Adobe's community is all here for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad. Im so sorry for your loss. He will be missed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines