• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 481 Replies 481
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought i may as well add my voice to the chorus of puzzled and annoyed adobe users. This is a ridiculous change that nobody asked for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if Adobe would do it right at least once. But no, Adobe changes things without adding any value and makes a mess.

Normal objects can now be scaled proportionally without the shift key. Fine. You can see it as an advantage, but you don't have to. But why can't smart objects be scaled proportionally without the shift key? Then I have to use the shift key again. Why? Where is the deeper meaning? Why do I have to hold down the shift key again when scaling paths proportionally?

Instead of changing something and then doing it badly, it's better to leave proven functions that generations of graphic artists and photographers have become accustomed to as simple as they are. Especially when the benefits are marginal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing we can all agree on: The half-assedness of making this change in one place and nowhere else is stunning, even for Adobe.

Wait, I've over-stated Adobe's thoroughness here: half-assed would have been far more complete than this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most annoying thing is, that with constrained behavior in "Distort Transform" it behaves like "Perspective Transform"  which makes totally no sense - until you press Shift.

Reverting to legacy Transform method will solve this. But this seems so illogical on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is unquestionably a significant change. adobe, please provide an option to change it back. i don't have time for this sort of workflow disruption

thank you so much to @John Waller for the workaround! i can't believe i had to just do that. took me back to the days of manually modifying config files to get a game to run on my old Windows 95 machine. lol ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right! I tried it for a few weeks, it is so flcking illogical, and has so little relation to any other of adobe's software that I just went looking for the pref to revert to the legacy behavior to find in this thread that it is in pref file that needs hacking.  I have spent about 2 hours today dealing with bugs and the fallout from bugs and writing on uservoice and forums and now this.

The arrogance. Is astonishing.

ps. I have been using adobe products for 25 ish years, I'll be spending an hour or two tonight having another look at what else is out there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even care about the change of using shift for proportional scaling. But what is up with the auto-apply of the transform when I click anywhere?

THIS IS INFURIATING! And it doesn't change back with the txt fix!

It completely screws up my workflow, where I quickly click around to scale and rotate - now I have to check BLINDLY every time before clicking to figure out where exactly I have to place the mouse so I can do the action that I'll have to do hundreds of times per day!!

It's dumb on simple UI rules - does Adobe have no interaction designers? Who asked for that nonsense? Change it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can join this discussion. It's refered to the same auto-commit behaviour, but with text:

Photoshop: Preferences to turn off auto-commit and double click to edit text | Photoshop Family Cust...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this complaint.

How do you "check blindly?" That doesn't make sense. And what exactly changed here?

If you deselect the object (by clicking elsewhere, for example), why should the change not be applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what adobe need to realise is that the increasing irateness of users is down to the fact that this level of SNAFU is found in each product in the cloud. for someone that uses many of them, you end up wasting an unacceptable amount of time researching bugs, workarounds writing feedback, etc.  To change something that involves muscle memory, and not to make it an option or something that is similar to other products in the stable or *BETTER* just pushes us closer to ditching the whole lot.  A year ago I could not imagine using anything other than photoshop. I've been using it for 20 years. Image editing *IS* photoshop. It takes a particularly impressive cockups, to undermine that relationship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Getho! That really sums it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this answer! IDK why after all this time they would change something that has been so standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... Thanks for letting us know, how to tweak it back. Actually, it was pretty easy with a txt file in Prefs folder.

So...
What about the idea itself. Let's talk about why an update such this is there. How do You think? I can't get an answer. For me, it is still nonsense.

Actually, I could understand, if "proportional scale update" was written for all Adobe products simultaneously. I guess the majority of users are working with more than one Photoshop only. And if I switch between Ps, Ae, Ai all the time, I have always keep in mind that unique feature in the Ps. I really would like if most of the shortcuts and principles would be similar.

What do You think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some, the idea is fine. We all agree that the failure to make it CONSISTENT ACROSS ALL APPLICATIONS is IDIOTIC.

We've been through this over and over. Scroll up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but these threads underline to Adobe the level of discontent with this decision, so it's best to keep it going.

Feature requests and bug reports do get noticed but here is where most people come looking for answers so it is also true that Adobe take notice of these forums.

I only hope they don't require EVERYONE who uses their apps to complain about an issue before they take action to correct it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I agree.. It's been a while since Adobe 2019 release, I tried many time to used to it but I just can't. The INCONSISTENT across other apps is frustrating.

I know that some people find new way useful, but I think the solution is so simple - just give a switch in preferences so anyone could set up it as he want and prefer. Forcing people for such a change is a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H

I agree with you 100%. Consistency across the applications seems like a no-brainer and a seemingly unnecessary change is really disruptive to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes this scaling case so ridiculous is that for some reason Adobe gave the option to chose old undo behavior (ctrl+alt+z) for users that prefer old one. But on the other hand, for no reason Adobe gave no such option for scaling to let users to choose the way they want. It is more ridicoulus when you realize that it is quite simple - just one line of code in simple text file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 version -.- shift + scale image, unbelievable

this make no sense

Change this back plz!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realised another exception- when scaling shapes, etc the old method is still required

Adobe. lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but why 'o why 'o why?  Are you becoming Microsoft?  This is a rediculous change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! That was/is VERY annoying. It'd be one thing if they did it across all Adobe products (I use), but it just being in PS when I use Illustrator, InDesign, XD...it was totally different and not coherent to the family. It was like I was using a Microsoft product or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I found a tiny bit of consistency: "Transform selection" works the same way.  WOOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform selection used to be different (inconsistent).
Guess they've changed it in an update.

Personally I shall be using the note pad hack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines