• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 14 - Trouble at mill!

Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's a rainy day at this mill and the doors are tightly shut. Can you open the doors and show us what is happening inside, or even cut away the whole wall and give us a perfect view of the interior?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW14WaterMillA.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's me kicking it off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Nice one Trevor - very clever idea and nicely put together. Does it need a reflection in the mill pond though ?

As an aside , I saw one on those Tesla cars a couple of weeks ago and looked up the details when I got home. Those things will out accelerate a Ferrari - silently !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, you are right about the reflection, but it's 12.40 and I'm done for today. 

I saw a mass line up of Tesla vs a bunch of supercars a while back.

Here you go.  I'd have bet seriously money against this happening.  Unbelievable against this line up

Bugger it.  Sleep is overrated — if fixed the reflection and will swap out the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - I knew you wouldn't be able to resist fixing that reflection - and it does look better for it .

Nice video - who would have expected that !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to want a Tesla - until I started to look at them more closely. The thing is, manufacturing tolerances seem to be all over the map. The body parts simply don't match up. I made this illustration up, but this is a very common sight, and I've seen much worse than this. Just look for it:

tesla.jpg

This is something you never ever see in a European or Japanese car. Yes, it does 0-100 km/h in less than 5 seconds, but my VW Golf GTE hybrid does it in 7 and is properly built.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tesla I saw had a listed 0-100kmh time of 2.5 seconds Dag which is astounding. If that is the quality of build, then it has a long way to go - but it does bode well for the future excitement of electric cars.

Back to the SFTW thread. The wheel is a 3D model - the hamster isn't ........

SFTW14WaterMillA3DHamster.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, Trevor and Dave! Those doors didn't stay closed long, did they?

One of my friends is on her second Tesla, so I get to ride in it when we go someplace.

I am reading a book about Nikola Tesla right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

but it does bode well for the future excitement of electric cars.

Absolutely, but it's really just a function of how electric engines work. They have maximum torque from standstill, whereas petrol/gas and diesel engines need a certain RPM before the torque starts to build up. In diesel engines that's around 2500 RPM, in petrol engines considerably higher, 4000-5000 RPM.

So put enough batteries in there, and it will run circles around anything. I understand the Tesla has around 7000 of them - did you know they use the same batteries as an electric toothbrush or shaver? There's just a lot more of them packed together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electric cars. The reason I settled for a hybrid is not range as such, it's charging time. To find a charger is one thing - being stuck there for hours and hours is a lot harder to get around.

Oh, where were we? Right, mill, hamster, that sort of thing. Gentlemen... <fades out>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

À propos the hamster mill - which I really like a lot (although I wouldn't want to meet that hamster in the park at midnight) - whatever happened to the Flintstones?

On a serious note, I see you guys are really working on the water reflections. That's harder than it looks, you basically have to make it up from scratch, because you're looking at it from below. The ripples are the least of it. Very nicely done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

On a serious note, I see you guys are really working on the water reflections. That's harder than it looks, you basically have to make it up from scratch, because you're looking at it from below. The ripples are the least of it. Very nicely done.

The original reflection is a great help as it demonstrates what the reflection should look like.  I am a big believer in looking at reality before trying to fake it, as we don't always remember.  Clouds a good example — people tend to forget that clouds are layered, and that the layers have shadows.

I did my reflection manually last night, but it was late, and I forgot that I have Flaming Pear Flood 2 installed now.  Its UI is positively archaic but it does give you enough options to get close to what the scene 'might' show — we don't know how much wind and current is effecting things.  In this case the horizon is tilted, so we set Flood's horizon to the water's furthest point...

And mask back to what we think it might be.  Dag made the point about heights and eye-lines which is crucial.  We couldn't possibly see any of the car park surface reflected because of that.  But we would see the top half of the car's side and rear.  We wouldn't see the top of the car as viewed from the water's surface, and I'm not sure what we would see if the reflection extended further towards us.  Probably sky.

Flood 2 has a Brilliance setting which I left too high, so I need to reduce opacity to get closer to reality.  Here again we have the original to help us.  This is probably a more accurate reflection than my 1AM effort. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the UK proposing a ban on petrol and diesel new car sales by 2040 - it looks like we'll all have to buy a giant hamster to charge our cars up

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

With the UK proposing a ban on petrol and diesel new car sales by 2040 - it looks like we'll all have to buy a giant hamster to charge our cars up

Dave

I'll be nearly 200 years old by then.

I love your 3D wheel Dave.  This week's challenge is probably the most difficult so far because whatever you do, it has to match the scene's perspective, and 3D is a good way round it.   I spent quite a while finding images that were close enough and had to hide the results of forcing perspective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor - The 3D layer contained the wheel and an open fronted box - that way I could match the building interior shape and the fall off of the light from outside

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sauna and Plunge (cheap booze too, I suspect)

Week14.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the councils dirty little secret

mill2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

the councils dirty little secret

???   Is this some sort of state housing reference? The building is not all it purports to be?  It reminds me of the Beatles movie Help, where they arrive at a row of terraced houses, and each go into their own door, but on the other side is a different story

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the water well is powered by town water... the tap inside

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit subtle for us

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

A bit subtle for us

Dave

I'm guessing that's a tap up in the corner.    That hoist beam presents opportunities — having said that, I can see a frame animation with endless buckets lifting water.  It would be one of the animations where you wouldn't need too many frames, as you'd only need to loop the distance between two adjacent buckets.  If you know what I mean.   I have a video I have been putting off doing and have to get done, or I'm in trouble. but maybe later in the week.

Is the strong perspective making this week's SFTW tricky?  It's a bit of a slow start I'm thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Is the strong perspective making this week's SFTW tricky?  It's a bit of a slow start I'm thinking.

Either that or the water reflection. Or both?

I think your animated dancers could make this thing run, Trevor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

I think your animated dancers could make this thing run, Trevor.

in short shorts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May have made it too difficult Trevor? Still, Can't make them all too easy

Water clock.............?

SFTW14WaterMillClock.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this Dave !! How cool if it really looked like this !! ❤️

I'm sorry I didn't have time for the challenge this weekend but I do enjoy briefly stepping in and seeing everyone's results !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job of the internals Dave.  It's put me in mind of a wee tip/trick...

You might think it would be tricky to animate the hands because of the perspective, but all you have to do is make your layers, and then Frames from Layers, and Group all the clock layers.  Then select all the frames in the timeline, and Free Transform the Group to match the perspective.  This took me about five minutes.   Of course adding an hour hand would be a different matter.

Mill-Clock.gif

What the heck!  Of all the clock faces I could have grabbed, I managed to get an upside down one, and I didn't even notice!

Sacred-Seduction-Correct-Clock.png (1453×1454) | Fabryka papieru | Pinterest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines