• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 16 - One for the pot!

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Well there were so many twists and turns in last week's "Down to Earth" challenge that it was hard to tell what would be posted or discussed next .

For this week, something a bit different. I snapped this pot with my phone in a hotel foyer in Fuerteventura. I've done the cutting out already so your challenge is to put the pot into a new scene and, perhaps, light the fire.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW16Pot.png

Enjoy and have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That so says Teletubby to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Great start Trevor

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also said:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two in the first hour Trevor ! That bodes well for the weekend

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found a way to cook that frozen pizza you pulled out before you remembered you didn't have a working oven! Very clever, Trevor.Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

You found a way to cook that frozen pizza you pulled out before you remembered you didn't have a working oven! Very clever, Trevor.Dennis

I think that's where the idea came from, but I was also reading about Jamie Oliver being in trouble again. His Oz restaurant chain is in the hole to the tune of A$130 million, and does not look like it can recover.  He does not have a great track record when it comes to running a business.   Imagine Gordon Ramsey doing a Kitchen Nightmares episode featuring a Jamie Oliver restaurant chain.  I don't think they are best buddies, so the sparks would well and truly fly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else playing this week?   I'm seeing minarets, and Moscow architecture.  Giant earrings, deep sea diver, excavator bucket, jack-in-the-box animation with a hinge lid, electric guitar.......

The style is called Out of Frame, and it's a lot of fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice Trevor, apart from yourself it has been a slow start this weekend.

I'll be playing soon. You start the weekend earlier in your part of the world. Here Friday night out and sleep got in the way of creativity

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your priorities are just about spot on Dave.  Especially if the night out ended with a curry.    I crammed in my first two attempts in about half hour right before bedtime, which was not long after you put the source image up, so I definitely get a head start.  I'm looking forward to see what folk come with this week.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a favorite "curry" that the two of you keep talking about? What is different about it in England?

#askingforafriend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane - We are very lucky here . There are many Indian restaurants (several in every town) and the quality of some these days is superb. Over the years, the competition has really raised the game. It is hard to pull out a favourite dish as each restaurant has there own specialities, some are great with fish , there is a tradition of Balti restaurants ( a very thick curry eaten with Naan bread) which started in the Midlands but spread throughout the UK now, some are using the traditional spices in whole new ways.

Being from England, I'll start to create when I've had a cup of tea...........

SFTW16TeaPot.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a pressure cooker (an Instant Pot) a couple of months ago and have been cooking mostly Indian food ever since.

Is this the Balti? Chicken Balti Recipe | Hari Ghotra

And this for the Curry? Instant Pot Indian Chicken Curry – Recipes.InstantPot.com

I live in the DC area, and we have lots of good ethnic restaurants and grocery stores, including Indian, but I've always heard that the Brits put their own spin on it. Plus I want to make it myself because it's easy and fun and oh, so good!

I love the entries so far, Trevor and Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are as many different Balti restaurants as there are restaurants Jane. The thickness looks "right" on that one.

For good curry recipes look up Madhur Jaffrey or Dan Toombs (the curry guy).

This is how seriously we take it ..... Monday 27th November 2017 British Curry Awards | Oscars of the Curry Industry.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have any advice for developing the necessary cast iron stomach?  Just reading about it before breakfast makes me feel mildly faint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  wrote

Do they have any advice for developing the necessary cast iron stomach?  Just reading about it before breakfast makes me feel mildly faint.

Yes - practice , practice , practice...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of resurrecting last week's discussion ...

SFTW16PotonMoon.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

How did you rotate the pot for the Teletubby, Trevor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

How did you rotate the pot for the Teletubby, Trevor?

This is going to one of those 'Why didn't I see that?' moments Jane.  All I did was flip it horizontally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't make them like they used to......

SFTW16MeltingPot.gif

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.  I've got no idea how you did that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Hi Trevor

I separated the main elements onto different layers then opened the PSD file in After Effects and key-framed Mesh Warp on the pot. Mesh Warp is like Photoshop's Warp but you can define how many rows and columns in the grid.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Hi Trevor

I separated the main elements onto different layers then opened the PSD file in After Effects and key-framed Mesh Warp on the pot. Mesh Warp is like Photoshop's Warp but you can define how many rows and columns in the grid.

Dave

Yep, like I said.  I've got no idea how you did that.    So how many CC apps are you comfortable with now?  It's a few years since I did that promo with AE, and I honestly think I'd have to go back to Lynda.com if I wanted to do the same thing again.  To get me started at least.  Even worse with Illustrator, and I have been right through Deke McClelland's Illustrator course once (quite a few years ago) and half way through again, but I then don't use it enough to consolidate.  I am not bad with Premiere Pro, and I used to use InDesign a lot.  I love Audition, but that was through necessity as it does so much more that Premiere Pro with sound, and I love how Dynamic Link makes it so easy to integrate apps.  But the bottom line is I find more difficult to consolidate a new app than years ago.   You are doing really well by the sound of things.  It must be all the beer and curry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor
Whilst I know Photoshop and Lightroom well, I am comfortable in After Effects and Premiere. The difference between "knowing well" and "being comfortable" is I can usually work out a way to do something particularly unusual in Photoshop whereas in AE I would tend to look up a method that someone else has already worked out.
I've used Audition occasionally and can find my way round it - I mainly use Steinberg's CubasePro for multitrack recording.

I'm like you with Illustrator. I turn to it for a specific job but just don't use it enough at present to make it second nature. It's the same with InDesign.

I really wish Adobe would take on and integrate a proper 3D application though. I don't just mean a Lite version like the Cine4D in After Effects, which is good as far as it goes and it does integrate well with AE.  There is Dimension that renders well but is very limited otherwise. I use Blender more and more for creating meshes and for physical simulations which can give effects that are very hard to produce in a 2D app. but of course that means a completely separate application and no integration.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I really wish Adobe would take on and integrate a proper 3D application

the prob is people want a 3d software that their 10 year old Macs can run... I agree Blender is a good starting point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines