• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 192 - Get a grip!

Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This weekend's start image is brought to us by community expert @jane-e  
Jane took this picture whilst visiting the Audubon State Historic Site in St. Francisville, Louisiana. It is a metalwork vice (or should I spell that vise for our friends in the US) and our challenge is to use it in the creation of a new image.

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW192Vice.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 112 Replies 112
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Honor to whom honor is due!'

Exactly ! Much more appropriate 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made me smile @Abambo , but surely any honor that is due goes to Dave who has given us 192 weekend challenges! All I did was snap a photo while on vacation! On the other hand, I just noticed that you only had to create two new letters to go from one name to the other. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that you only had to create two new letters to go from one name to the other. 

Jane

By @jane-e

Yes, I exchanged only two characters, but I needed to do a new cast, mount it again on the bench, put it into use for 70 years or so, so that it gets that old tired look. Then I still needed to loose that old screw for an authentic look.

(or I just used Photoshop like in the good old days…😂)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the Vice to a different location 

SFTW192Vice_by_CGarro.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that, the view from the shed window and a nice outdoor workbench for those dry days

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They said he had no vices!

Vices.jpg

Image attribution : Raph_PH, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons  edited and composited for SFTW

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I came across a video of Keith playing recently.  Talk about growning old disgraciously!  

If you wanted something to test your Frequency Seperation skills on...

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They said he had no vices!

By @davescm

Photographic evidence that he does have at least one vice! 

Clever idea Dave 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Borg cube courtesy of Dall-E (via Bing). ISS image courtesy of NASA. Alien spacecraft created in Stager. Astronauts rendered in Stager.

Resistance is futile.Resistance is futile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is obviously viewing the Russian side of the ISS 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They couldn't get the tripod set up on the other side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - I like the texture and the vice's NASA badging

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lighting was the hardest part, tbh. I lit the two space dudes in Stager to match the photograph, but I copy/pasted the flying saucers from an old .psd render to save time. It still needs grading, but I was way over my time budget!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open wide !! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Down by the lumber yard work is finished and soft amiable calls of goodnight echo round the house.

SFTW192ViceWaltons.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodnight John-Boy................................ 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a very similar looking house (without the lights) to that on the highway to Picton north of here.  It was been sold twice that I know of, and looked beautiful in the realestate photos.  However, when you drive past and get a wider view, the yard is full junked cars and rubbish, and it looks terrible. 

Ah Hah!  I found it Google street view.  When the housing market was at it's craziest here, people were paying serious money for properties based purely on the photographs.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW192Vice-JEL.jpg

This particular Wilton vise was once in use at the Correct Manufacturing Company in Fallston, Pennsylvania, as seen in this photograph dated 1940.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that. 12.10. Lunch time. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's fascinating to see these hard-working blokes on their lunchy 80 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L 

Not knowing much about vises, I looked up the Wilton vise and found this bit of history:

"The legend of Wilton begins in 1941, when Hugh W. Vogl, a Czech immigrant, founded the vise manufacturing company naming it after the cross street where the original company building was located: Wilton Avenue and Wrightwood Avenue in Chicago, Illinois."

https://wiltontools.com/about

The vise fits in well with your image and looks like it was always there!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very good detail, @jane-e. In studying the photo, the date appears to be January 16, 1941. The calendar indicates that was a Thursday, lol. Perhaps this is the original beta vise!!

JEL_0-1689173335614.pngJEL_1-1689173345393.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hung out in a dance club in that 'hood a lot back in the 1980s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey John.  We had no idea you were such a cool dude.  Do you have any pictures?

This would just about be the Saturday Night Fever period, so I am going to have the Bee Gees buzzing in my head for the rest of today.

disco-dancing-the-simpsons-0esrxkjexwgh2x2k.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines