• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 198 - Spanner in the works!

Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had some great images and interpretations of our last Loch Ness challenge. Thanks to all who took part.

This week, rather than a scene, we have a spanner, or wrench for those on the western side of the atlantic ocean.

How creative you can get with this spanner?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW198Spanner.png

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 172 Replies 172
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, I try to always read through, and yet often need to edit in any case, especially in longer posts and those with complicated instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood what Trevor was saying - as least the way I undertood it was:

Dean -  your implementation is clever and funny 🙂
Thanks Trevor.

And for AI - does have an odd distortion about how it represents certain things. Thought it worked for this somewhat abstract story. I don't know what the spots on the able are, what they are eating and is that an insect on teh top left of the table and left of the candle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is so often that abstract look to images, plus the obvious problems with people's hands and other appendages.  Sometimes they look odd, but sometimes there can be too many of them.

HEY, BTW Colin Smith has put up an excellent video with tips and tricks on Gen Fill.  Much better than the Matt Kloskowski e-book that Jim is sharing on ProDesignTools.  I picked up a couple of good tips including how to use Gen Fill to add your own image element (like a person) to an image with convincing background.  Hmmm... I was going to try that but forgot.  I'll go try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After linking to the excellent PhotoshopCafe video, I am pleased to see that Jesus Rameriz is posting again — he took a wee break to get married 🙂 and today's upload is stellar.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't work, but it does Dean 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bouquet of wrenches for your loved one

spanner_hhe.png

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that must be the 'heavy plant crossing' that I keep seeing on road signs 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spanner remix.png

Creative Community Leader / Educator - Empowering fellow educators with creativity and innovation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It fits in well with the rest of teh tools, but I'm trying to work out what is in the ring ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I'm remembering the hundreds of times you've told us that rust, dents, and scratches make an image realistic, but your spanner looks brand new and right out of the box! Here's a wrench my dad gave me when I was 18 and left home to go to college.

janee_0-1696468470972.jpeg

Your Photoshop Challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to age your spanner so it looks real! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that 'M' means it was a metric spanner, then your dad might have thought it wouldn't fit anything inside the American border.  A lot of the American engineering and woodwork YouTube channels get into all sorts of arguments over America's apparent inability to embrace the metric system.  One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on YouTube was when Stumpy Nubs reviewed a digital caliper that displayed fractions.

image.png

I was an apprentice toolmaker when the UK moved to metric, and can happily work with both systems (I still sometimes think in feet and inches), but every single one of the many machine tools I've used had slides calibrated in decimal.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, my wrench is from his very old Ford that my mother refused to ride in and he used to commute to his job as a university professor before we moved to D.C. It had running boards.

IMG_8383.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running boards?  Now I have a picture in my head of  those souped up prerunners of NASCAR  who raced along the dirt roads of Virginia, loaded with moonshine, and chased by Revenue agents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, at first glance I quite liked the inch fraction, but you are right: it is really bizarre.

I still tend to think feet and inches in connexion with wood and similar (such as plyboo) as in the old days, which go back to when the right size of the unit could be (re)established any Sunday,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/envelope-distort-on-jpeg-not-working/m-p/1013...

But what I really sorrow over is the Dreadful Day, 15th February 1971.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was an apprentice toolmaker when the UK moved to metric

By @Trevor.Dennis

Now that they left the EU, will they go back to Imperial Units as one of the big achievements of the Brexit?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a chance - the decision to go metric was made in 1965, the UK joined the EU in 1973.

That said, we have a strange mix of metric and Imperial here in the UK. We buy petrol (gas) in litres but talk about fuel consumption in miles per gallon. Orange juice is sold in litres but beer in pints. Car wheel diameters are in inches, but the distance from rim to rim on the tyres is in mm.:-)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Car wheel diameters are in inches, but the distance from rim to rim on the tyres is in mm.:-)

By @davescm

That's also in real Europe like this… 😉  And for the beer, you can sell it in any measure. We have the “Humpen”, “Klensch”, “Stiwwel”, “Flütte”, “Mini”. 😉

(Thinking about: we have all kinds of designations, but nobody will ask for one Litre of beer…)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW198Spanner-rusty.jpg

 Like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very decent rust texture.  I'm guessing that its Multiply and maybe Curves to lighten it up? I't working well whatever you used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The texture is AI generated. I'm getting lazy. It's really a straight multiply:

Abambo_0-1696543979538.png

2 minutes, indeed faster than my “official” entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e  "Your Photoshop Challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to age your spanner"

Done:

Old-Spanner.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That made me laugh Dave.  The sad thing is I know how that spanner feels.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm laughing too, Dave, that's so clever! 🤣

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We knew Chromium. Now it goes vanadium…

SFTW198Spanner.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah! It took me a moment to get this. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines