• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 28 - The basement

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing what goes on in a basement (or cellar on this side of the Atlantic). I made this scene earlier this week for another purpose, can you now add to it and show what might be going on in this dusty old basement?

If you are just having a bit of fun - go right ahead. For the photo-realists, the lighting is a bit tricky with two main sources behind and to the side, but we can't make these things too easy

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW28Basement.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great animation with lots of elements moving at different speeds.  It must have taken some time to do. 

Jane, tell us the full gun story.  It sounds scary.

A mate of mine was involved in a robbery once.  We were still at school, and my mate worked in a petrol garage.  One evening three armed robbers came in.  One held my may mate while the other two went upstairs to where the boss was cashing up.  The one downstairs pushed my friend backwards with the gun in his ribs, which made my friend cry out, and the robber was apparently very apologetic with comments like 'Sorry mate. Are you all right?'  I expect it was to do with my friend being so young, but we thought it strange behaviour from an armed robber.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great stories. I guess Washington DC is still dangerous, in so many ways.

Using Photoshop did take a while, actually about two days on and off. What took me the longest was discovering that besides choosing between Create Video and Create Frame, I then had to click on the Create Video again to get my layers to show up. After that it was straight-forward. Before I did it in Photoshop, I had already used Character Animator and After Effects, which I normally use for animations. That took about 15 minutes. Still, a valuable learning experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

It was only scary for a few seconds. I saw the the two scruffy men in the door glass, then stood up, turned around to face them, and squared my shoulders. Remember that I was 19. They dropped their hands with the guns, stood up, and identified themselves as undercover policemen. Some construction workers had left a back door to the alley ajar — this was not on my turnkey rounds and I did not know it existed — and said that there were 30 cops searching the building. Nobody had broken in, and after that they would stop by and chat in the middle of my shift. We became friends.

Anyway, the rats in the basement animation brought it all back!

Your story is scarier, Trevor, because they were armed criminals. Mine only looked like street thugs so they could blend in with the real ones who were roaming around in the middle of the night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst we are in the mood, another scary basement.....

SFTW28BasementTerminatorA.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the red eyes on your character, davescm​! I would be running if I saw him rising out of my basement floor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

I love the red eyes on your character, davescm ! I would be running if I saw him rising out of my basement floor!

Hah!  Reading that has just made me realise it is a T-1000.  I was put off by the gold colour, but that's Dave being ultra 3D accurate knowing that a T-1000's chrome like surface would reflect the colours of the room texture.

T-1000-Run.gif

Jane.  I didn't really mean that they should have been scared of you when I first made the comment, but when I saw your post #32 I couldn't resist being cheeky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes you've got it Trevor .

It's an Adobe Fuse character combined with a model puddle then given a silver reflective material.

The accurate way would have been to drop that silver textured model into the original 3D model scene and re-render it but that would have felt like cheating as no-one else on SFTW would have access to that original scene. So instead I just rendered the terminator in Photoshop on a new layer using the posted image as an Image based light.  That looked OK on the body but the puddle reflections were wrong so I did those the old fashioned way by inverting, warping and masking the oil drums.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

It was only scary for a few seconds.

Jane, you misunderstood me.  I meant scary for the armed men.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, I should have known that's who you meant, Trevor!

When we got to be friends, I found out they "knew" who I was because 15th Street was their beat (while I had my nose in a book and rarely looked up.) A couple of weeks earlier these same two undercover cops had tapped on the glass doors to the building and said, "can we come in?" They looked like young homeless hoodlums. The reason they had their guns drawn and were in shooting stance as soon as they burst through the back door to the office foyer was because they expected to find "something bad". Those were the days when cops had a good reputation, and these guys were all great. There were about five of them who worked the graveyard shift that cold winter who would stop in for a few minutes to chat and warm up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dave, you make me laugh almost every day. Bravo.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friday the 13th Horror in the basement!

basement.png

In the dark days of pre-computer times when creatives often suffered for their art with no backup files... its hard for the kids of today to believe such tails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is quite surreal Ussnorway. I just spotted the banana.

Brad - I just took another look at yours - this time on my PC screen. I love the dark hands and body apparition in the frame.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week028.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the style Rista - and the wet floor

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines