• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 47 - Mind your head!

Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We had a great response to last week's treasure chest challenge. So many people filled the chest with gold that I though we would set this week's challenge in an old gold mine.

I've created the mine for you, what will you do with it? Will you create the miners, add the gold, or use it for something else entirely?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW47Mine.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice to see some green stuff make it into this week... even if it is fake lighting effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week047.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A ghostly and cold mine of copper and gold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My latest discovery - Ruby diamond cave_edited.jpgbring money and hurry up - filed a claim today. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Joan. Where's my mine?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still can't talk laughing so hard. Love it! Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My idea for the week is to merge previous ideas

SFTW47MineDU.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Humpty does like to live on the edge. If he is not sitting on walls looking down on all the King's horses and men  — probably taking the rise, so no wonder they didn't put him back together again — he sits on a box of dynamite about to be engulfed with molten lava.  Humpty me old mate, that dynamite is going to blow, and you won't think it is a yoke when you get spread like strawberry jam all over Dave's pristine mine shaft. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humpty is always up for new challenges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dean+Utian  wrote

My idea for the week is to merge previous ideas

Your High Force and chest and HD have all found their way into the mine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh No!  My computer has been infected by the notorious Waitomo Glowworm.  Only Trevor can have caused this, intentionally or not.

Week047_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista, your glow worms are looking a bit dark on my screen, but after copying to Photoshop, I am  impressed.  It immediately looks lighter in Photoshop, (Dag can tell us about this).   It was such an interesting idea, I had to have a go.  Having pasted it to the forum,  mine is as dark as yours,  so I am going to adjust for that and paste in the edit.

I made two brush presets for the glow worms.  Hard round set to Fade for the hanging strands, and some random dots for the actual glow worms. You can't get adequate scatter with a single small dot, but the overall size of the random dots fixes this.

I used full black, because I wanted fully opaque  white  for the 

It does not matter for the strands, but I painted the dots onto a black layer set to Screen because I wanted to use Noels Star Filter Pro 4.   I could have bypassed this by painting with a flare preset, but SFP4 gives you lots of control, and  does lovely flares.

Did you use Flaming Pear Flood for the water?  It's one of those effects you might only use a few times a year, but it saves a  ton of time when you need it.

This is another version which instead of the  flares and strands on separate layers, I combined them into a single preset. 

I love how we learn off each other with SFTW, so thanks for the inspiration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor you made a professional job of this.  I like it, very interesting.

I only overlaid the starter with a photo of Waitomo and added the Flood Filter. 

When I saw how dark it appeared in the post I lightened it but wasn't sure there would be any interest. 

Well here is the lightened version

Week047_II-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my (mis)interpretation of the ways of the mine, see especially the rail closest to the (DANG)ER box with the turning of the far descending/disappearing part; you can see it even clearer if you zoom into pixelation in the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Rista that is clever. I had to look up what the Waitomo Glowworm was. Now it has to be on the bucket list for a visit!

Trevor - that did make me laugh. Who does that make me - Doc?  [Edit - I looked it up - it's happy ]

Jacob - the mine goes down - turning slightly to the left then turns right.

See model viewed from outside the tunnel. First from the left and then from the top  (the camera is in orange)

You were also right about the position of the lights and beams :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I had to look up what the Waitomo Glowworm was. Now it has to be on the bucket list for a visit!"

Dave, my tour of the caves, nearly 25 years ago, came with a demonstration of Kiwi Humor:  The boatman assured us that they rarely lose more than 1 or 2 boatloads a year in there.

You may want to make a note of that on your bucket list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  wrote

"I had to look up what the Waitomo Glowworm was. Now it has to be on the bucket list for a visit!"

Dave, my tour of the caves, nearly 25 years ago, came with a demonstration of Kiwi Humor:  The boatman assured us that they rarely lose more than 1 or 2 boatloads a year in there.

You may want to make a note of that on your bucket list.

It's not entirely joking.  I can't remember any glow worm accidents, but we have had a few jet-boat accidents that resulted in fatalities.  The first time I  went in a Jet boat was after walking the Reese/Dart tracks.  We chose to get picked up by the jet boat at Sandy Bluff, and taken down to Glenorchy.    The river is wide and fairly calm at Sandy Bluff, but our packs were firmly tied down on the back of the boat, and we were told to keep our hand inside, and not stand up.  Yeah right!   We set off, and he did a couple of 360°s which was OK.  Then we headed downstream at 40MPH.  Around the first corner the river had narrowed with huge rocks in the middle (called Cathedral Rocks) with a narrow gap either side of the big rock.  I thought WTF?  There is  not enough room to get through.   The boat then headed for the _smaller_ gap, and went through it sideways without slowing down.  I screamed historically it was so exciting, and I didn't stop all the way to Glenorchy.

There are not many images of the best bits because the viewpoints are inaccessible, but this is the Wilderness Jet boat on the Dart river.

Image result for dart track wilderness jet boat rocks

This is the same boat after sliding sideways onto the the gravel. 

Image result for dart track wilderness jet boat rocks

The problem is that our braided rivers change after big weather events, so what was a safe  route though one day, can run out of water the next.   At 40MPH that's a problem, and they need to  keep the speed up to have enough thrust to slide sideways through the turns.  They also work in very shallow water... but not 'no  water'.

Image result for new zealand braided rivers

A funny thing about watching the video below...  I  can now tell you, reasonably accurately, what countries tourists comes from.  I'm not even sure what aspects identify a particular tourist.  Check out the guy in the blue shirt at the back of the group at 1:25.  I'd be surprised if is not American.   The guy in front of him is either a Brit, or more likely, Kiwi.

Most tourist incidents here involve ignoring signs for the sake of getting a Photograph, and having a glacier fall on their head.   Really unlucky tourists  happen to be in the wrong place when the mountain falls on top of them.  We get dozens of road washouts and slides every year.  These Canadian tourists were advised not to drive through the Haast pass because of the conditions, but were still unlucky to be in the path of a slide that pushed them off the road into the river.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11206211

Missing Canadian tourist Connor Hayes' thigh bone found on West Coast | Stuff.co.nz

NZ is a beautiful country, but it can bite you on the bum.  The heavy rainfall can lift river levels  before you know it.  Most NZ tramping deaths are caused by drowning when hikers try to cross fast moving rivers.   The rule is, if you can hear a rumble of the rocks  moving, don't cross.  It might only be an hour before the  level drops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought there was something missing.

SFTW47Mine2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unexpected stop on the Milky Way Express (brrr)

SFTW47Ice.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine-animation.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing in my tunnel?

SFTW47MineMole.jpg

(Mole courtesy of Pixabay)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From my oldest granddaughter: “I love dragons!!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Mine is Mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh!

mouth1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SFTW has (already) had an unusual number of entries about (claims of) ownership.

Mine in post #40 was stirred by the models kindly shared by Dave in post #33 which brought me back in time to (a BBC broadcast with identical/similar(ly shown) models of gold (and other precious) hoards in) the Valley of the Kings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines