• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why does photoshop export 300 ppi image as 72 ppi?

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is it if i open an image in PS which has a dpi of 300 (image sourced from Shutterstock), work on the image and then use Export As JPG, the resulting ppi is 72 according to PS. I checked my Export Prefs and they are set to JPG and 100 for quality, so why does it export as 72 and not 300? I need to supply images in my document at 300dpi not 72dpi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 118 Replies 118
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for the answer to your same question. Scrolling through the "answers" has been incredibly frustrating. No one can apparently answer this question (without going off topic and acting like you have no idea what you are talking about and have never used a computer before)??!!! Ugh. Let me know if you ever find out the answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been answered over and over, in this thread and elsewhere here in the forum. We do know the answer:

Export and Save For Web strip resolution metadata altogether. An Exported file has no resolution, not 72, not 300, not anything.

Since ppi doesn't apply on screen/web, it's removed.

The 72 figure that you see is what Photoshop assigns as a default value when you reopen the file. It's not there until Photoshop opens the file. Photoshop needs to have some ppi figure to calculate font sizes and other things, so it assigns a number. But any number will do.

Most Microsoft apps will assign 96.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kimb75221386 wrote:

Scrolling through the "answers" has been incredibly frustrating.

You might slow down your scrolling speed, Kim — you might have been skimming too fast. I just read through the posts and your question was answered quite often in this thread by expert users.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kinda know how you are feeling, we are getting the answer but not the solution. The solution is to use an alternate version of @JJMack script (an updated version of it) that was dm to me by @Stephen_A_Marsh .

If JJMack doesn´t mind I will kindly upload that version here for everybody, this version takes all the canvas layers and export those files as png in 300 dpi.

In case other users are wondering, I need to export png files in 300 dpi because I use those files for print on demand shops, that ask EXACTLY this type of format.  And since I also print those files, I generally take one artwork and export him as:

A3, 4500 X 5400 (Mba version), 4200x4800 (most pod stores versions).

I also ask kindly to @JJMack: would you permit me to make a youtube video, teaching people how to use this script? I will send it to you (since you is the original creator), so you can update it on your website, and then I will instruct everyone on the video to download it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Felipe5D1F wrote:

I also ask kindly to @JJMack: would you permit me to make a youtube video, teaching people how to use this script? I will send it to you (since you is the original creator), so you can update it on your website, and then I will instruct everyone on the video to download it from there.

Sadly, JJ won't be able to do that for you. You can add your kind words in remembrance here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/r-i-p-jjmack/m-p/12701028

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my, that's a big loss, I feel really bad about it and didn't even know that he passed away. I add my words to the post thank you so much for letting me know about it. I will post the script here, and give the proper credits. My intention is to help other people that were having the same problems in order to truly help this community with solutions.

@kimb75221386 here is the PS script that I use to export different canvas in 300 dpi, please take note that the files output are saved with the file name + canvas name.png. and in order to export all the canvas, you must click out of the layers, (making sure that no layer or canvas is selected, otherwise it will export only the layer selected)

Export Png files in 300dpi by @JJMack and modified by @Stephen_A_Marsh :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E9DJdhLJJqjF-BGp1wR9-OXHR1Bnn_B4?usp=sharing

Please everyone if I shared my link incorrectly let me know, and I will gladly correct it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why are you using Export? Export is specifically for web/screen/mobile devices, not for print.

Use Save As.

A print shop that asks for PNG is immediately suspect. PNG makes zero sense for print. I'd go to someone who know what they doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is what most POD stores ask for it, A Png file in 300 dpi, I don´t really care if makes zero sense or not for print, a 300dpi Png file it's what THEY ask for it (amazon, redbubble, teepublic, and other 15 print on demand stores, home Epson printers too and so on, etc)  so I don´t have any other option, I need to use the files in that format. 

I export because I deal with a high number of artworks, and use different size formats, so if it's possible to automate the process instead to "save as" 3 times per artwork. (AND IT IS) I will happily do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is what most POD stores ask for it, A Png file in 300 dpi"

That is what Save As is for.

Export strips metadata and restricts pixel size - perfect for its designed function. Perhaps it should be called 'Export for screen'.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave, how are you? I hope you are doing fine!

Save as doesn't save multiple canvas sizes in one click, as an export option would do it.

That's why people here are asking if is not possible to export in 300dpi.

I already uploaded the script in order to help other users that need to export in 300dpi, and I loved your suggestion to be called export for screen! I totally agree with you.

In my opinion, the print-on-demand community is quite big, and even big brands such as Disney, dr seuss, Marvel, and others use this file format for DTG printing their shirts.

If those stores that I mention are asking for that type of format, then that's what I need to give them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the feature request should be 'The ability to save as in multiple sizes, as specified in a dialogue, in one click each with at a specified ppi setting and with a colour profile embedded' ?

I suggest this is raised as a specific feature request by those that need it. The more votes it get, the more chance of implementation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of actions that do just that. I don't see the need.

Editing an action step is very simple if you need different pixel sizes. Just double-click the resize step and enter the desired size, done, run action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

I have a couple of actions that do just that. I don't see the need.

A single canvas is OK as you mention.

The script that I modified is for saving all (multiple) Artboards to PNG while retaining the resolution metadata in the PNG (believe it or not, the PNG specification uses pixels per metre, not inches or centimeters as is more common in print).

If one wishes to save all top level layers to PNG retaining the resolution metadata, then the following script does that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-export-layers-as-png-without...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember Stephen to update that script, I've tried that one, and then dm you asking to change it, since an update on the software made the script stop working. I've also added a link a few comments above with that updated version that you have sent me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Felipe5D1F wrote:

Just remember Stephen to update that script, I've tried that one, and then dm you asking to change it, since an update on the software made the script stop working. I've also added a link a few comments above with that updated version that you have sent me.

I just tried the code in the original topic and it still works in the 2021 and 2022 versions as expected. I can see that I reformatted the code for the new forum software back in 2021, so perhaps the error was with how the code was ported over from the old forum software. 

I can't recall why you sent me a private message and the resulting modifications that I created?

P.S. I don't believe the JJMack had any hand in that script, the original author was Anton Lyubushkin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally my bad! I will ask the original author, and if it's possible to correct the credits on my post above.

The reason why I dm back then was because I was getting an index error when I tried to run the script. You helped me back then and saved me Infitine HOURS of work since then. I can't be more grateful!

In case you want to check more details about it, it was a dm send in sep 07 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just add an option to include PPI metadata in PNG and JPEG files using Export As... Quick Export too of course. Generator would be nice too, I appreciate that it uses different code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good answer Dave! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fixed mine by unchecking "use legacy export as". It no longer quick exports and shows 72Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 12.42.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines