• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Photoshop the most buggy software?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is killing me and making me so sad.

I LOVE Photoshop and always have.

But why is it so hard to love this software when it keep on getting more and more buggy?

Things change all the time for no better reason. Photoshop used to be something where I felt like I had full freedom to do whatever I wanted. Me and my Photoshop could change the design world and master it! Now it is issues and frustrations all day. Fundamentally I feel that it is better because I know it so well by now. But there are other softwares that just "get it".

I feel that Adobe is missing the mark. Do simple things well. That used to be the motto. Now it is all about making updates that are more and more buggy.

For specifics anything having to do with the preferences of tools, and the speed of the program. I have to press "Z" twice for the tool to change, The way things release makes no sense anymore, sometimes a tool behaves like it did last time, other times it doesn't. Creating a new document from a pasteboard doesn't work anymore, etc, etc. It is the overall flow that is broken!

So sad... needed to vent.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us exactly who that "experienced" commenter was and where to find such a post?

I guess many of the regulars here even have »favorite« bugs (no matter whether fixed or ongoing) … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Derek 🙂 Here's a few that keep cropping up

Using the text tool: (Granted, I know Photoshop isnt a design tool as such) Double clicking on a text layer (about 75% of the time) 'Photoshop text could not complete your request because of a program error'. I click the 'Ok' button, the dialogue box disappears and I can edit the text, so doesn't actually seem to be an error, just a dialogue box appearing for some bizarre reason.

The glyphs panel doesn't update to the same font as the live, selected text.

Moving a nested layer with the mouse or graphics tablet alters the appearance. i.e if a layer is set to an opacity below 100% and/or has any blending mode applied. moving it instantly and drastically changes the opacity. Nudging it with the arrows keep keeps the visual appearance as is.

That's a few of the ones that I come up against most frequently. I guess my reply is essentially in the wrong post topic as it was more a vent of frustration towards random changes in workflow, rather than the amount of bugs. Althought these ones do crop up very frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my reply is essentially in the wrong post topic as it was more a vent of frustration towards random changes in workflow, rather than the amount of bugs. Althought these ones do crop up very frequently.

By @twinbrush

Sure is! 

HOW TO FILE A BUG REPORT:

Photoshop:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

And yeah, those intermittent issues (none of which I've ever seen that you mention) are complicated to find let alone fix. This is why filling a proper bug report for Adobe is key; like you know, actually using the System Info in Photoshop to let the team know precisely the system you're using, along with step-by-step instructions already outlined, to report a bug. 

Easier to rant. Far less effective if your goal is a fix. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've filed a report, about 3 months aog actually, unfortunately the issues still persist in the latest version. A few that I reported have been fixed. I totally get that Adobe is mammoth piece of kit and its obvious that not every possible workflow can be imagined or tested fully. My goal isn't really a fix, its just to have the piece of software that worked fine and leave it alone for at least 12 months please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you @twinbrush. There are so many moving parts, right?

Here's the thing. Some of us will love some new innovations and changes, and others will hate them.

Perhaps it presents an opportunity for Adobe to stay connected with it's customers through direct feedback in the software.

Best

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mj Absolutely my friend. There is beta apps, but when you look through the forums there are so many things that customers have given feedback about that never get addressed. I mean the software isn't ours, but design for what your customers need, not what you think they might want right? You're totally right though, there's always going to be things that some people like and others dont.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @marcrust ,

A good vent is always good.

On the pasteboard issue, had the same problem.

Try Preferences > General > Use legacy new doc interfce.

Create a new doc from pasteboard.

Then go in and switch it on again.

This fixed it for me.

Let us know how you go.

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok when I select "Use legacy new doc interface" YES this does work. So I'll go with that. I did try to go back and it didn't work like before.

BTW, would resetting all preferences fix this? when should I do something like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting prefs is a good default position if the software does not behave as expected @marcrust .

Best

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not untrue but I think this thread is way beyond that … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines