• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to edit/move/transform on several layers at the same time with an active selection

Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that would really be helpful. The ability to select objects inside your lasso tool selection that are on multiple layers. You could select the layers you want and photoshop could move and manipulate the objects inside your selection that are on those layers.Why would this useful. Well at work I have alot of elements composed together to create a single portion of the image. It would great to be able to edit these pieces as a whole without having to flatten the image or dissect each element into its on layer. I know people I work with wanted this ability to and I hope others out there might feel its useful for their work flow as well. Thanks for listening.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
57 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CC for digital art. As an example, lets say I have a layer with a gesture drawing, a layer with a basic mid tone silhouette, and a layer with a slightly more detailed sketch. I realise the leg of the figure is in slightly the wrong place but am still very much in the design phase. It would be great to be able to make a selection, say with the Lasso tool, select all three layers, and then Free Transform that selection across all three layers without having to merge them into one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company just upgraded from CC 2016 to 2019. In the previous version I could use the Lasso or Marquis tool to select an area and move, transform or edit the selection on multiple layers. In the current version I cannot, or the appropriate tool or control is hidden or buried. 
I wonder why Adobe thinks this is such a small deal that they simply throw away a feature that more than a few artists use constantly...it's not like there aren't other programs anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has never been a possible in any version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of you may be right. Please demo or explain better what you mean, Sidhecat. Well, I guess you are now without PS 2016...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
Long story short, I use PS mostly for Digital Painting. And very ofter I need to move something quickly to see how it will look, and there is no problem if everything is flattened. But for example if I want to maintain for example 10 layers editable, but move only 1 part from all of the 10 layers it's a problem.  At the moment I need to select things on 1 layer, move it, go to second layer, move it accordingly, go to third etc.

What about making it possible to move certain parts from several layers at the same time?
I have 3 linearts on one layer, 3 silhouette backdrops for 3 linearts, several small details on another layer. I lasso the only object I want to move, select the layers involved, and just move the object without cutting anything etc. 

Same could work for transform. I select a thing, select layers, and do a transform and all selected layers are affected.

I hope I made the idea clear 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please enable the multilayer cut/copy/move. For example, if I choose one or more layer groups and select certain area and drag it, objects of all layers in the group(s) included in the area move at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would usually just open the image in Paint tool sai and do the modification with that, but recently I've started using better color profiles for my arts, so PTS doesn't accept those.. So now I've gotta jerk around doing it the long way with PS.. I hope they at least fix this by 2021..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request, not a bug report, so »fix« is the wrong word in this context

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Active selections can interact with Layers for merged references like Copy Merged or using the Clone Stamp tool, but not for nudging pixels on a layer that requires working with one Layer at a time

It's also worth noting that a move done with a Selection is moving the pixels on the Layer and not moving the Layer itself.

To move or transform multiple layers requires having more than one layer targeted in the Layers Panel, having layers in a Layer Group, or having Layers linked.  Edits using selections made with the Lasso Tool or the Marquis Tool is a different kind of edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS has been around for what, 20+ years now.. And has started raking in money by the bucketloads since they no longer allow their program to be outright purchased.. Paint tool sai is a relatively cheap program with a one time purchase of  just under 70$, one dev, and PTS has that feature. This expensive program with a team of devs still lacks this BASIC feature, I'd surely call that broken..

But just the logic and mechanics of it in general, I wouldn't really call it a 'feature'. If i have multiple layers selected, and I make a selection, why in the F would I want to move everything on all the selected layers? Why am I even making a selection at that point... This kind of behavior I'd expect out of PS 15-20 years ago, but not now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word »broken« has a meaning and it it does not correctly describe this situation. 
Indubitably Photoshop has bugs but just calling any of its features that do not fit your tastes »broken« is not reasonable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of understand your frustration Shane. I understand atleast where your coming from as an artist working in entertainment industry who draws/paints using photoshop for a living it really is the best tool for selection, filters, editing in general but lags behind tremendously for drawing features for artist and non-photographers for years now. But i have hope that perhaps they will eventually add these features for drawers or maybe other software will catch up to photoshop's editing capabilities. Procreate currently is my favorite and I think is a great example! Clip studio is close as well for desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on a side note for those interested in selecting multiple objects on different layers within a lasso tool. Sergey Kritskiy has yet again done alot of innovation for tools artist really need in their workflow. I really wish this guy would work for adobe! Check out layer factory. It's pretty great I use it all the time and it has CHANGED the game for me for selecting things on multiple layers. Saves me so much time.

https://layer-factory.readthedocs.io/en/latest/multimove/index.html#multilayermove

It's 13 dollars on gumroad.https://gumroad.com/kritskiy

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this script could do it too...? (and much more)
Pepperbox  |  With Pepperbox you can change multiple layers with single click in previously unthinkable cases.  http://pepperbox.bereza.cz/?ref=mg  $15

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"features that do not fit your tastes"

Again, not really a feature, so much as an essential mechanic for artists. I just had to save a selection, then reuse it on literally 15 different layers, making sure to make the exact same rotation on each layer, then make a new saved selection and do the process all over again to move the selection.. I still have to repeat this again just to move the selection a tiny bit to the left.. Like, an hour of work on a tiny task that should have taken me no more than a minute.. This isn't just some tiny quirk that only affects me. This is a massive oversight that affects probably most artists that use the program.

"Procreate currently is my favorite and I think is a great example! Clip studio is close as well for desktop"

Thank you for the suggestions, and I will likely look into them at some point, but tbh I try to avoid using new programs as often as I can when I already have an established program for the use. Mostly because of how much the learning curve often puts me behind or puts me off (of doing art for a while, for example), because I find there's nothing more frustrating than trying to do something that feels so basic, but not being able to do it.

Honestly, it took me a while to migrate to PS from PTS. I just liked PTS because of how basic it is, but I couldn't ignore the fact that PS has 100ish times the features.

I did just think of a better way to word it though. The feature (multiple layer selection) feels broken because it lacks that very basic and seemingly obvious mechanic. I mean, did they not think of that when they were testing the program? Like, "I can select multiple layers, I can make a selection, why can I make a selection at all if it affects nothing with multiple layers selected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may call it a »function« or »operation« (or maybe something else) if you don’t like the word »feature« here but it is still not broken just because you want it to be different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While to me it seems that you are unwilling to accept that it is not up to you alone to define the meaning of words. 

Feel free to report my posts if you think they violate Forum standards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could just not be a two watt, just sayin..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really should be native. Texture artists need to edit diffuse/albedo, reflection, normal maps, etc. all together at once. That one can't transform selections across multiple layers in native PS in 2021 is shameful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eryk_szczygie

Being able to nudge pixels based on having multiple layers selected would be cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*omz exactly.. Not like this company isn't making enough money.. Especially since they started to refuse selling their software and only rent it now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! plus like I've said, it's just common sense. Why would I have multiple layers selected, if I didn't intend to alter multiple layers. I can understand some things, like not being able to draw/erase with multiple layers selected (though that could be handy in a rare few cases), but artists are always moving and resizing bits and pieces on their works throughout the process; an eye's too big/small, or a bit too far in one direction, grab it, plus your color layers for the eye, and move them.

Honestly, I've started mainly using Krita/Paint Tool Sai for my art recently, not sure if I'll renew my sub for PS this next time around.. PS's main strength (that I've found) for artists, is it's ability to move/alter selections with the refined warp tool(with minimal distortion). Also, I imagine the path tools could be invaluable if I took the time to figure them out.

But without the ability to alter multiple layers natively(I'm not spending more for a plugin when I already rent the program monthly..) at the same time, even those tools fall short of their potential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*omz 

@shane_zwicker 

To be clear, Photoshop users can transform across multiple layers.  The layers just need to be selected together in the Layers panel or Linked in the Layers panel.

What does not work is transforming a Marquee Tool selection across multiple layers.  If the pixels to be transformed across multiple layers are isolated on their own respective layers, this becomes a non-issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@warren_heaton But that EXACTLY the issue! in clip studio you can do it perfectly. transform several layers but only in the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yea.. If you want to transform an entire layer when you're only trying to transform a small part of it.. That works..  But if you're drawing a character/person and you've got the color/shading/lighting/detail layers all done but you notice the ear looks off, you've gotta do the transforms on EVERY single layer individually.. 

But why would I select multiple layers, then make a small selection, so I can move ALL of EVERYTHING on those layers? The lack of common sense in this program is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate