• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artboards specific guides. Ability to duplicate guides between artboards

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new artboard tool in Photoshop, I feel like it needs to be able to have guides nested within the artboard. That way when you duplicate an artboard, for another concept or screen etc, they will have the same guides so everything lines up. This is an essential part of what this new feature needs for me, so would appreciate it being looked at for a future update.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015
Hi Robert, this is high on our backlog and we are actively investigating it along with some other guides related work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, this is high on our backlog and we are actively investigating it along with some other guides related work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Joel, would be a big help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an absolute must, particularly if you're designing web to a responsive system, such as Bootstrap. I wondered whether using a 3rd party plugin like 'GuideGuide' might be a helpful workaround, but alas no. You can set the guides for the first board, but trying to set guides into the second board, it'll try and create the guide set across both boards together.

As soon as this becomes a reality, I'll definitely use boards. Until then, however....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Artboards are a fantastic idea but without the ability to replicate guides in artboard 1 it's not useable for me yet.
Guides as per Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I've found a workaround...

I'm using 'GuideGuide' here: Create your first Artboard and, using GuideGuide, create a set. I'm designing for Bootstrap, so I have 12 columns with a 30px gutter between each. I've saved this as a set and applied. So, I have my first artboard up and running.

I'll then create my second board, cmd+a (ctrl+a on Windows) to select the bounds of your artboard, then apply the guideguide set again. Hey presto!!

Of course, it would be lovely to have native guide functionality that's as comprehensive as GuideGuide, but maybe in the future!

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike.
Good call. Works her as well.
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially a template or easily applicable guide setup that I can add to new artboards. Also Artboard specific guides that do not extend infinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards issue: Need to be able to transfer guides form one artboard to another. Guides could maybe work as per Illustrator to help this.
Reasoning: Imagine designing an app with multiple screens. I set-up guides to control columns and therefore line things up. This is as important on screen 1 as on any other screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially a template or easily applicable guide setup that I can add to new artboards. Also Artboard specific guides that do not extend infinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely agree, guides are an important part of many workflows. We wanted to have more guides integration in this first release of artboards, but we also didn't want to hold the feature because we knew many would appreciate using artboards in their current implementation. Guides are a very high priority for future artboards though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the artboards feature! A couple of things I'd love to have added is a zoom tool (and quick keys) which fills the screen with one artboard, rather than the whole document (which command + 0 does now). Also an option for guide layouts to be specific to each artboard, rather than just the whole document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create a new artboard
2. Redimmension it, manually or using one of the presets
3. When creating a new guide layout, the guides go beyond the artboard boundaries.
4. When scaling the artboard down the guides will be created outside based on the old dimmensions and when scalling it up the guides are created based on a even larger artbord.

This happend mostly when resizing the width but not when resizing the height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we just a made a big step and switched from our much loved Fireworks over to the new Photoshop CC 2015 for making web designs. Wasn’t an easy choice, but since Fireworks is no longer updated, it was just a matter of time and the new Artboard feature seemed like the right starting point.

The good news first:
It is amazing how fast we were able to dive into Photoshop web designs abilities. After some tuning of the settings it now feels pretty much as Fireworks – even if it will never be the same. ;-)

Artboards are cool, but when you have to work with multiple of them, guides don't really make sense anymore, since they overlap EVERY artboard on the screen. So when you have some horizontal guides in place and start a second artboard for a responsive layout beside the first one, the guides eventually will disrupt the new layout.

I wish the functionality was more like in Indesign: When you drag a guide outside an artboard it should be valid for all artboards, but if you drag one inside an artboard it should only impact this one artboard.

Also it would be really great if Photoshop could do some fancy guide stuff that plugins like GuideGuide offer – just like Indesign can do.

One really cool feature I miss from Fireworks is that when you drag in a guide and keep Shift key pressed, Fireworks would show you the exact spacing between the nearest guide one screen. Pretty neat! ;-)

Hope you guys can take a look at this.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since artboard guide layouts haven't been added I've created some boxes to use to create new vertical guides outside of my artboard. Whenever I turn those boxes on, they rarely actually turn on and when they do and I click on it, all of my guides on my artboard shift to accommodate the outside objects like I've extended my artboard.

It turns out, whenever you take an item from your artboard and drag it outside of the artboard the guides will follow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign style guides - perfect. This is what we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Mary and Andy, guides work is high on our backlog and it will address many of these points. I'll discuss your feedback with the team, with this item in particular. Stay tuned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE - I BEG OF YOU - allow a user to assign guides to layers in photoshop like you're allowed to in illustrator so I can actually use your new wonderful artboard feature in photoshop and create nested grid layers!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, guides layout syncing for all artboards would be great to have! I mean if I changed/moved a guide on a "source" artboard it would do the same on all others. But this behavior should be optional. But it's highly useful for web design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is already implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this feature added to photoshop yet. Two years later when this issue was first brought up. Please make it when we duplicate an artboard the guides are duplicated as well. If this has been added then please let me know because it hasn't been working on my up to date photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Brandon, this was added a few releases ago. Guides can be assigned to specific artboards via View>New Guide Layout. Guides are also duplicated when artboards with associated guides are duplicated. What version are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate