• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As - options to preserve the metadata in the file (keywords, etc)

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, when you go to Export, Export As, and choose a jpeg, it says you can include the copyright and contact info, but what about keywords, description and other pertinent info?  All that stuff gets stripped out of the file when using this Export As function, creating more work. What gives Adobe?  That makes no sense.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
45 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Image Processor is free and in the File > Scripts list.
If that doesn't work somehow, the Pro is also free and seems it would appear under File > Automate when installed correctly.

I'm sorry, but I don't find that good enough. Export As allows us to export layers as PNG or JPEG, in multiple sizes. It allows us to export multiple artboards that are contained in a single document. Because we have Export As, we shouldn't have to figure out how to find and install IP Pro. Running a batch script isn't the same thing in the middle of the workflow as using Export As. We also shouldn't have to use the (Legacy) SFW, one lonely file at a time. And the standard version of Image Processor still isn't good enough. It doesn't include PNG or exporting to multiple sizes at the same time.

Image Processor definitely still has a place, but so does Export As—which should by now be capable of replacing Save For Web.

I don't do web work, but I could use Export As happily if it included at least the choices that SFW has for including metadata. So while it was designed with web designers in mind, that was Adobe's mistake. Deciding features based solely on what Adobe thinks web designers want, excluding everyone else who always used SFW, was short-sighted, and so far, even having a lot of people speak up, they're just leaving the old SFW to limp along to mollify the rest of us.

The last place businesses today are investing is in personnel. And with features like Export As that limp along unfinished, I think it shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said. The two things that EVERY Photoshop user does are to open and save files. Those should have maximum flexibility and optimization. Instead we get the slow New Document window, the large, ugly Cloud Files button, the half-baked Export feature, and still don't have Image Processor Pro included.

I have to rely on SFW to save full-resolution JPEG files in production use, because Photoshop doesn't have another good way of doing so. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i export my photos I lose all the information , like what camera I use ... and put my photos on Flickr ... If I use the old save for the web .. I have all the information left.. like my name the camera the aperture, the shutter the iso and so on ... my name and bla bla bla ... with this new thing I don't get anything ... really bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFW would be great... if it worked. Since moving from computer-based app to cloud-based, SFW (legacy) no longer works, leaving me no option but to Export as. OK, you might think, but I'm losing all my keywords and having to reinsert them. It's a pain in the rear. Not only that, but Export As isn't reducing the file size nearly as much as SFW, making my files about x3 times larger, which will have an impact on my blog. Not impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Save As  had an option to convert profiles.  That's what is nice about Export As or Quick Export.... SFW is so big and clunky... so many options. I wish ONE was perfect. But NONE are. Exports remove your metadata, Save As doesn't let you convert profiles. SFW is clunky but writes an efficient file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now it's months later. Photoshop is supposed to have a better algorithm for Quick Export and Export as, but still minimal metadata transfers with Export As vs Save For Web. Isn’t it time for someone to step up and work on this? I've posted my workflow elsewhere which describes why I need that meta-data in the file. Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to the posters above - but adding my annoyance - just spent 20 minutes on this only to hit a dead end.  Tried every method to export tags, searched their doc to no avail. Shame on Adobe leaving it up to their customers to document their (expensive) product. What are we paying for if all they're doing is removing features over time? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exporting my images today like 10 times and tried different settings to try to fix this problem until I found this post. I am astonished and angry that "Export as" does NOT export metadata like copyright info when there is an option for doing just that in the export window. This has still not been fixed since this post originally was posted a couple of years ago. I find this unacceptable and this should work.

Adobe gets paid good money for Photoshop and bugs like this should be fixed when discovered.

Fix this Adobe, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am using PS 22.5.1. I have 3 storage options and the new storage option for me - export as or fast export would be great, but unfortunately not everything works correctly. There is the option to keep metadata, but if I save my image with this option or without it, all metadata in the image will be deleted.

Save for the Web would be an alternative, since the Metadata are retained there, but with high-resolution data this takes a relatively long time.

So, as with CS, I use the classic save as variant, with the difference that the popup in which I define the Jpeg quality takes a long time to be displayed (it varies between 2-6 seconds). It doesn´t matter if i want to save big files or smaller ones, when I load the pictures into CS, I have the popup there without delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As is not "classic" - it's the standard way to output files from Photoshop. Export is for making small, simple files for web/screen/mobile devices. A lot of people misunderstand this.

That said, the delay you describe for the jpeg options dialog is not at all normal. I can't think of any reason for this, so maybe you should try to reset Photoshop preferences. A corrupt preferences file can often cause erratic and unpredictable behavior. The prefs file is vulnerable to corruption because it's rewritten in full on every application exit, in contrast to program files that are read-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks i will try this. Anyway in the export function i have the option "keep metadata" but it does not work?, i prefer the export function cause it´s an easy, fast one click solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metadata comes in various shapes and forms, Save As/Save a Copy preserves the maximum metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohh thats btw the first google entry and it´s exactly the problem i have 😞

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/jpeg-data-lost-exif-details/m-p/89833...

When I want to prepare images for the web, I find the export function very good, in PS I only reduce the image size of my file with all the layers and can then export to previously determined values with one click. But without metadata this is stupid for some portals, although the export function has this option. It doesn't work - how can I report this bug to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But without metadata this is stupid for some portals, although the export function has this option. It doesn't work - how can I report this bug to Adobe?

By @Maxi7

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/which-quot-conversation-type-quot-should-i-c...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version: 22.5.1.

Steps to reproduce:
If you want to export jpg with the export function and click in the options that the metadata should be retained, this will not be done. The problem was reported a few years ago, but it still exists.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/jpeg-data-lost-exif-details/m-p/89833...
It would be wonderful if you could include metadata within the export function, which also has a one-click option and saves very quickly.

Actual result: Metadata is not saved despite this option
Expected result: Metadata should be saved or at least the option should be removed if it does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, 

I continue to get this error when trying to appply the fix that has been issued in this thread, which is "your asset file was exported but there was an error adding metadata to it". Any thoughts? Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update it seems that the copyright setting only apply to JPEG versus PNG. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using that to preserve all the metadata. But saving this way strips out Content Credentials on the other hand. Seems like I can't win - I can have just the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can run a script when a file is exported (via Script Event Manager.)

This is a SAMPLE ONLY script that copies metadata from one open document and saves it into another document. DO NOT USE THIS in production as it will likely copy incorrect data. You would need to parse the XML and modify incorrect values (for example, dimensions.) But it could be done in theory.

var a = app.documents[0].xmpMetadata.rawData;
app.documents[0].close();
app.documents[0].xmpMetadata.rawData = a;

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you sir....you save me my whole time....thanks again