• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HEIC Support

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support HEIC images that are created using the new iOS?? I'm sure Apple didn't keep it a secret. Sounds like another pissing match between Adobe and Apple. Grow up and act like adults and support HEIC. 

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Stor

Votes

Translate

Translate
77 Comments
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which just goes to show, Adobe are purposely not doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot use .heic files from cell phone to ps cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to open .HEIC files in Photoshop (or Camera RAW) on a Windows Machine. Please solve. Receiving lots of these files from users with the new iPhones. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot open a .HEIC file in Photoshop on a Windows machine. Please solve. I am getting all kinds of .HEIC files from new iPhone users. Big problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an APP that you drag those HEIC files on and it is that simple and puts them on your nominated folder.. NOW What I do not understand is how Adobe first started on Apple Mac. Was originally bundled with a scanner and grew from there and now it seems they have the ignorance to ignore iOS support and it's roots. Bit like Google Maps (originally 'Where2) as soon as the samsung was released.. well... big companies are not known nor ever will understand loyalty .. only want your loyalty. One way

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone looking for the 2018 release notes, here's the link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2018.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED! I use Windows 10 Pro with Photoshop CC. Because I have the full Creative Cloud suite I also have Lightroom. Lightroom supports HEIC files. No need for 3rd party converter apps.

1. Install Adobe Lightroom
2. Add HEIC photo(s) to lightroom
3. Export as JPGs
4. Open in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not solved!!! The point is NONE OF THE OTHER IMPORTANT ADOBE SOFTWARE SUPPORTS HEIC. Curb your enthusiasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris, appreciate your suggestion on a workaround and that's what I currently do; however, exporting to JPG and then opening in Photoshop is definitely not the same as Photoshop being able to natively read/import and write/export HEIC-format files (with zero loss of information) – which it presently cannot do on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canon eos 1dX mark III supports .heif

means = preassure is rising :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so annoying.

I get that it's some sort of royalties dispute but could we at least have the option to pay for the privilege to use HEIC files while Adobe and Apple wrangle over it? You can pay a trivial amount to have Windows Photos be able to tinker with them - I can't see why we have to have this multi-year wait without any updates on progress even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple doesn't own HEIC, it's an MPEG standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"HEIF itself is a container, and when containing images and image sequences encoded in a particular format (e.g., HEVC or H.264/AVC) its use becomes subject to the licensing of patents on the coding format. ...In Apple's implementation, for single images they have chosen the latter .hei c filename extension (.heic s for image sequence files) as the only one they will produce for photos, which indicates clearly that it went through HEV C  encoding."

HEVC licensing (a.k.a. the H.265 codec) goes through MPEGLA and is a  can of worms, so that could well be what's taking a while for Adobe to sort out with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does Apple choose a non-standard format that costs everyone more money and hassle?! Apple are isolating themselves more and more. I just heard that LastPass (LogMeIn) can no longer be used on Apple devices because they are shutting down the plugin options for 3rd party password software developers - to be replaced by their own, of course! LastPass are withdrawing from iOS. That would be anti-competitive. Now where have we seen that before? mmm, oh yes: Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - you are right. Saying 'Apple' is, at best, an extremely lazy shorthand. They are MPEG members and are the most prominent evangelists for it but not the actual creators. It's more likely that MS haven't paid for the same sort of blanket developer usage on Windows that Apple have on MacOS... but this is guesswork: it would be nice if Adobe actually explained the situation. It's particularly bizarre to have added support to Lightroom but not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man this is so bad. Photoshop should be the reference for all that is pixel working.
Adobe, please stand up and rise as you should. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The odd thing is that Lightroom CC and Classic both support HEIC files natively, so clearly some licensing (and code) is already completed on Adobe for Windows.

The only reason I can imagine for Photoshop on Windows to not support it is that Photoshop is more associated with professional use, and maybe there's some additional cost related to that. And, those negotiations are likely subject to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), which is why we don't hear anything about a status.

All supposition, of course, but I can't think of anything else that makes sense.

IMHO, the main reason to avoid converting .heic files to .jpg is that .heic supports 16-bit color, while .jpg maxes out at 8-bit. It's unclear what bit-depth cell phone cameras support, there's seems to be scant information on this point. However, I do see less banding in colors with a .dng from my S20 Ultra than from .jpg, so it looks like maybe 10-12 bits of color on the main sensor there, which is another reason I'm looking forward to .heic in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are confused. In this case Apple released a feature that Adobe doesn't support. This isn't an Apple problem. This is an Adobe not supporting a new Apple feature problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you have this backwards. This is an Apple feature that Adobe doesn't support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use: 
https://heic.imobie.com/heic-to-jpg/
Batch Convert HEIC Photos Rapidly without Compromising Quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF or HEIC is a container. With the flagship Canon camera moving from JPEG, I can see more and more HEIF images coming our way. JPEG is so last century and if Lightroom can open it, it boggles me why Photoshop can't. Right now, I have both so if I need HEIC access with Photoshop, I'll use my mac but it's not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, Adobe. Give us HEIC support in Photoshop and Bridge in Windows. Anxiously waiting ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to believe HEIC format still hasn't caught on. It's great. Look at the color difference between the JPG (converted from HEIC at 100% quality - on left) and the HEIC (right). Look at the pinks. They're so much brighter. And the HEIC file sizes are about a third the size of a JPG. But the HEIC files crash File Explorer pretty frequently and Photoshop can't open them at all. One thing I noticed is that when I opened the HEIC & JPG side-by-side in ImageGlass photo viewer, they looked exactly the same, but if I opened them in PictureFlect Photo Viewer, I could tell a huge difference. So I assume ImageGlass is converting them to JPG. That would explain why some people don't notice any difference between the two. Here's a screenshot of the two formats in PictureFlect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you're seeing with the differences in color relates to the color profile and color management of the viewing app, not the format. The only advantage of heic is the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate