• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layer Styles: Ability to make 'outside' Stroke corners sharp

Participant ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the stroke, i use it everyday, but there are things that keeps bugging me - maybe it's just me and if that's the chase then i have to live with it but....

1) Could you make the outside stroke corners sharp, not round.. I always place the stroke on the inside to fix this but this shrinks what ever im framing / stroking a bit in size (cause the stroke "steals the space")

2) How about custom strokes? Use shapes, smart objects as strokes?

3) Multiple strokes? I know you can do this with a smart object, but why only one stroke, why not 2, 3? Would give a useful effect on shapes, text and so on?

Thanks 🙂

Ps: Could you add rearrange layer effects so i could switch the effects simply by rearranging the order.. That would be cool..

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012
In Photoshop CS6, we've implemented 'true' vector stroking that allows for sharp or rounded corners with any stroke alignment (Inner, Centered, Outer):

Not exactly the same request, but my guess is most users were using layer effect strokes as a crutch for lack or real vector strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke with shapes/smart objects, I think it is interesting and useful!
Ps: Could you add rearrange layer effects so i could switch the effects simply by rearranging the order.. That would be cool..
You mean the function to switch the order of effects in Layer Style dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this..
Grab and rearrange.. like layers.

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the visual - it adds a lot of clarity to the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop lacks a good amount of features for Stroke effects. I was trying to create a stroke on some text (that has sharp corners), and the stroke was rounded and didn't create the same stroke/border effect I was after. Illustrator allows for this (plus a couple other options). It seems nearly impossible to create a stroke (and one that is editable) that has sharp corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default PS stroke will appear as rounded corners(if we used large stroke size) Photoshop doesn't have any straight option to sharp the object or text stroke effect. for example: if we have a check box called "sharp stroke" in layer style >> stroke panel, we can easily sharpen the stroke effect ( something like "adobe illustrator" stroke corners)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strokes should be consistent across all Adobe products: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash. Illustrator's model is a good to base it on.

The most important addition to Photoshop's stroke effect would be to choose the type of corner (ie. "sharp" or "rounded").

Also, would be nice to have the ability to add multiple instances of the same effect as in Fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CS6, we've implemented 'true' vector stroking that allows for sharp or rounded corners with any stroke alignment (Inner, Centered, Outer):

Not exactly the same request, but my guess is most users were using layer effect strokes as a crutch for lack or real vector strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys have done it again. Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's just for shapes drawn in Photoshop. What about smart vector objects we paste in from Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about text? I see Jeffery's duplicated response, but it does not address sharp outer stroke corners on Text. I find it very annoying that I would have to create a path from my text (rendering it no longer editible) to utilize the "true Vector Stroking" such as on an object or path. Layer effects is not a crutch, especially for text design options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would really be nice is to merge all the stroking functions into a single stroke panel that can apply solid or brush strokes, centered, inside, outside, inside or outside offset to produce a gap between the stroke and the object being stroked, with sharp or round corners, and be able to do ALL the functions on a raster selection, a shape, a path, editable text etc. In other words, anything you can have as a selection or editable object should be able to have any sort of stroke effect applied. What could be better? If the selection has two closed but not connected edges (for example a letter O or a ring shaped raster selection), have a way to select only one edge to apply the stroke to. Can it be made even better? Oh, yes... when the 'one edge' option is selected, it should have a sub-selection to control how far around the stroke goes. So for applying an embroidery stitch effect around an O you'd leave it at 100% but for san-serif, block letter I you'd perhaps have it at 50% or less so the stroke would just go down one side. Add a live preview and the ability to set the starting and ending of the stroke (so the stroke on that I could be tweaked to start at the upper left corner instead of the center of the top edge) and Photoshop would have a most amazing time saving, extremely useful, all purpose Stroke tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would love to see the Stroke layer style with the options like Illustrator has. To be able to set an outside stroke with square or mitered corners would be VERY helpful!!

I would love to be able to save out as a pdf with bleeds and crop marks. Now that Ps has art boards, this would be a huge plus for those doing print work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate