• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Procreate-style "live" straight lines with freehand brush tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've seen this mentioned a couple times but haven't seen any actual discussion around it. Procreate has an amazing feature where you can hold the stylus down after drawing a freehand stroke, and it will automatically straighten the stroke from its starting point. You can then reposition the endpoint however you want, stretching the entire stroke in realtime until you let go. I think this would be an incredible addition to PS's drawing/painting toolset - I find it way easier to use in almost every scenario than the click-and-shift-click to draw a line between two points. Reasons:

- Procreate's tool allows you to straighten an actual stroke, including whatever pressure dynamics you may have applied along it. As far as I know, Photoshop's approach will interpolate between the stylus pressure of the starting and ending points, but doesn't really give you any active control over the stroke in between them. It's also extremely hard to get consistent/predictable results this way, and I often have to double back on lines to make them solid.

- Being able to visualize the line in realtime before committing is invaluable in drawing/painting. In Photoshop, if you don't know exactly where your endpoint should be, your choices are either trial-and-error, or use the line tool to create a vector line for reference and then try to draw over it.

Speaking as an artist/illustrator, it would be amazing to have this in Photoshop! This feature alone is a pretty big part of why I still go to Procreate for certain things.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sound like a great addition way to draw straight line in photoshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's similar to a feature that Illustrator has.

This doesn't give you exactly what you want, but in Photoshop you can choose Rubber Band Line to see where the path is going to be drawn.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here to this forum to make this exact request! Please Adobe, can you develop this feature? it's a beautiful and useful tool that would greatly enhance my workflow as a landscape designer and illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be an excellent addition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would be so nice! The drawing workflow would be so much smoother and more intuitive! 
If you uses that way of drawing like in Procreate - you will never go back!

Votes

Translate

Translate