• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 722 Replies 722
721 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot from 2024-08-13 23-09-02.png

2 Years later:

Screenshot from 2024-08-13 22-51-18.png

Is this how you treat customers like me and my family? Goodbye, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@linuxkernel you've proven a point. 4% market share at max saturation. I highly doubt all Linux users would subscribe to Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux users use Linux because they don't want to pay for software. That's the whole point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a misconception. Many people choose Linux because it offers advantages that Windows and macOS do not provide. In fact, Linux has gained a larger user base on Steam than macOS.

Notably, professional studios create films using applications like DaVinci Resolve on Linux. Furthermore, is there a specific user threshold required to justify porting your application? I find it hard to believe that you need to invest over a million dollars just to port and support an app that millions of users would be willing to pay for.

It's worth noting that the 'UNKNOWN' category includes a significant number of Linux users, and Chrome OS now supports Linux applications, so we are discussing an almost 10% market share. Furthermore, Adobe supported macOS when it held less than a quarter of the actual Linux market share, and Linux continues to grow.

linuxkernel_0-1723585498359.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, let's be honest- Adobe has changed from being an engineering company to straight-up money grubbers. If there was any business case that Photoshop on Linux would be profitable, they would have already published it. Posting market share charts is pointless.

Today's CC relies on all sorts of add-on services that likely would not be welcomed by Linux users. It also has deep hooks to a lot of other Adobe software. There is no universal graphics acceleration framework on Linux and Adobe struggles to keep the whole suite airborne on two OS platforms let alone three. It would be a big money-loser and drain on engineering resources.

Not.Going.To.Happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
21 hours ago 21 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get your skepticism, but let’s look at the facts. Adobe hasn’t brought Photoshop to Linux yet, but that doesn’t mean there’s no business case, it might mean they’re missing an opportunity.

Professionals are increasingly moving to Linux, frustrated with Adobe’s choices. Tools like DaVinci Resolve are gaining ground on Linux, proving there’s potential in that market.

While Creative Cloud is deeply integrated with Adobe’s ecosystem, Linux users still value these tools. Vulkan, a universal graphics API, is already supported on Linux, addressing concerns about graphics acceleration.

Lastly, engineering challenges are real, but let’s not underestimate Adobe’s resources or the growing demand for Linux support. If Adobe doesn’t move, they risk losing a segment of users to emerging alternatives. Sometimes, not adapting can be costlier in the long run.

So while it may be challenging, dismissing it outright could be shortsighted. The market is evolving, and Adobe should too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
20 hours ago 20 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just let it go, it isn't going to happen. This is just wishful thinking.

There have been numerous official statements from Adobe on this over the years, the latest quite recently, all saying no, there are no plans for this. They're not going to do it, and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
19 hours ago 19 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have very strong opinions, my friend. You gaslight other users saying that this won't happen. You offend me and others who gladly paid for Adobe - monthly over the years, bought Windows, and other programs, by calling us cheapskates because "all Linux users want free software". That's not the case. Just because You made enough answers to get a badge "Community Expert" it doesn't mean You are always right. In fact, if You do not support this post, You should go help people who need Your support, because You clearly do not want to support me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
17 hours ago 17 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zgRedka said '...You gaslight other users saying that this won't happen...'

Let me directly quote from the Adobe development team : " We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux"

Quote taken from here : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-provide-support-for-linux-2011/idc-p/1433...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post from 13 years ago mentions that the final response and decision to close the post were made 3 years ago by an employee I found on LinkedIn, who now has a different role. As clients, we are looking for an updated response, as @zgRedka noted, a lot has changed since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you don't understand what big words like "gaslight" mean. Gaslighting is a psychological act to make someone doubt theiur own knowledge. That is not what's going on here. Adobe has repeatedly made official statements that they are not going to build a Linux port. Fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeking an official response from someone at Adobe. Are you able to determine what should or shouldn’t be supported by the company?

Do you believe that past decisions are immune to change, even as circumstances evolve? Your use of the phrase "never going to happen" seems quite definitive.

For instance, if Windows 12 were to underperform and lead 20% of users to switch to Linux, would you still stand by that assertion? Additionally, it’s worth noting that just a few years ago, the market share for Mac users was below 5% and they still have Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
16 hours ago 16 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has sucked for decades and its still by far the desktop OS leader. And I like Linux but its only made a dent in three places- servers, embedded in devicers, and Android. 20% of Windows users aren't going to switch no matter HOW bad Windows is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
16 hours ago 16 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LumigraphicsYou and @D Fosse and @davescm are trying to convince me to GIVE UP my opinion and wishes, just because YOU BELIEVE it won't happen. While I appreciate Your opinions and facts, as You might have seen, a lot of people, including me, decided to stop subscription and look for alternatives after Adobe changing their terms and conditions. Many of us are SICK and TIRED of Microsoft Windows, and if Windows 12 become subscription based, I see many people migrating to Linux. Competition companies are not sleeping ... Affinity for example is giving now 6 months free trials so people who are used to Adobe can check their programs and see if they like them. Personally, having Adobe Illustrator alternative for £79.99 is a STEAL, and I probably won't look back unless I see Lightroom on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
15 hours ago 15 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not trying to convince you to give up anything. As I said earlier in this thread, it is valid to make a request.

We are merely pointing out that Adobe have responded to such requests several times over the years and the answer never changed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
14 hours ago 14 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am agenda-free and don't care what you do. I'm merely trying to inject some reality into your ramblings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm one comment about "Adobe already said no - 3 years ago" would be enough. I assure You, I read every comment, and You do not have to repeat Yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LumigraphicsYou are welcome to leave this thread now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll thank you for not telling me what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody asked for Your opinion, thank You. I am waiting for an official Adobe response. Meantime, You are welcome to continue to comment, nothing wrong with additional exposure. Once I get response from them this year, I can gladly close this thread and ask them again 5 years later, if I won't give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good luck with all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate