• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not gonna happen. And Adobe has a lot of software besides Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my 2 cents here... at home I use Windows 10, Linux (Ubuntu & Mint) and apple.  All on different machines.  I would ditch the windows machine and the macbook today if I could entirely rely on Linux.  For me to do that I need at at least Photoshop and Lightroom on Linux.  we can't force Adobe to listen ... just hoping someone else will ... I have no allegiance to Adobe, I just need to get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably know somebody using a chromebook (which is a flavor of linux)  Everybody I know has snatched up a cheap chromebook recently due to the cheap price, they added Android support in the past couple years but now the newer chromebooks (2018 and on) have added support for Linux apps as well, so Linux market share is about to increase drastically.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request platforms like these are proof that big companies care only about money and aren't much focused on pioneering and innovation. This is the third most requested feature here and there is no real feedback from the company. Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Достаточно долго пользуюсь Linux. Но для работы в photoshop и lightroom приходится иметь дополнительно windows, потому что Adobe  попросту игнорируют пользователей linux. Это дорого и глупо. Люди зачастую потому только и не переходят на linux, что не могут использовать продукцию Adobe. Вы меня заставляете приобретать совершенно ненужный мне windows, тратить на него дополнительные деньги - я не настолько богат, чтобы покупать ненужный хлам, мне в работе нужен linux. Обратите, наконец, внимание на эту систему.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

От ваших слов попахивает дискриминацией. Пользователи linux имеют право пользоваться продукцией Adobe. Как только начнётся поддержка этой операционной системы - пользователей на ней станет в сотни раз больше. Linux всё равно в скором времени будет самой используемой системой в мире, от этого никуда не деться, это неизбежно.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While no answer is indeed marked as the official response I think you may want to refer to Mr.Cox’ posts. 

Feature request platforms like these are proof that big companies care only about money and aren't much focused on pioneering and innovation. 
Of course Adobe, the company, »wants« to make money. 
So if they expected to be able to »make money« with a Linux version they would very likely produce it. 
Their research apparently indicates that the cost/benefit ratio does not justify this yet, though. 

As for feature request platforms in general: Which forms or channels for user input do you deem to provide a better approach? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christoph,
Of course Adobe, the company, »wants« to make money. So if they expected to be able to »make money« with a Linux version they would very likely produce it. 
Obviously not, because this threat is more than 4 years old (all in all), and the platform landscape has vastly changed since the start of it, but Adobe still does not see a reason to support Linux as a platform (or wine as an emulator for example).

But in the meantime other project have surfaced to replace Adobe's product range, and are gaining speed (and quality).

IMHO supporting the two major package formats, deb and rpm, alongside the LSB would make all the difference.
There are lots of products out there for the linux world without open sourcing their code, if that's what they fear to have to do, and they can ( could ) make tons of money, not only in the enterprise sector (like SAP) but also with private installations and hobbyists.

We see a lot of linux installations popping up, and as it gets simpler and way more hassle free than the typical windooze installation/update/... , it is a market to be  reckoned with.

We as a company (and I personally) promote the change from Windows to Linux over the last twenty years and it seems that it starts to stick.

Ultimately it is Adobe's decision if and when they will support Linux, but from a commercial view it is illogical not to do it.
And if one takes a closer look on the web facing infrastructure of Adobe, it seems that most of it is already linux- or unix based. Just sayin'

Best Regards
W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing against their desired to make a profit. It makes sense and is desired even for me as a customer. The problem is they don't innovate. It is not that hard to make a software cross platform compatible. This is proof of their laziness and lack of innovation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christoph: I have nothing against their desired to make a profit. It makes sense and is desired even for me as a customer. The problem is they don't innovate. It is not that hard to make a software cross platform compatible. This is proof of their laziness and lack of innovation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not that hard to make a software cross platform compatible. 
I am not a programmer but in the past it has been stated by people more knowledgable on this issue than me that it is not easy. (edited)
Considering the bugs that slipped through with the last full version it seems obvious that spreading the testing-resources over one more OS might be an overly bold decision.  
And what with the apparently upcoming Photoshop for iOS Adobe will, it seems to me, effectively offer Photoshop for three OS. And I suspect that Photoshop for Android will not be far behind, which would make It four. (Though I am not sure what the effort on either will mean ...) 

Obviously not, because this threat is more than 4 years old (all in all), and the platform landscape has vastly changed since the start of it, but Adobe still does not see a reason to support Linux as a platform (or wine as an emulator for example).
I cannot rule out that Adobe’s market research/metrics may be flawed or that the cost/benefit ratio they would deem acceptable may not border on the indecent but I am fairly confident that Adobe continuously assesses and reassesses where and how they could make more money. 
And Linux seems to keep on coming up short. 

Naturally Linux users are right to make themselves heard on this, the official, channel. 
But trying to tell Adobe how easy the port would be and how wrong their research is may not have the desired effect ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not saying it is easy to make it cross platform compatible. But it is possible when desired. Far smaller teams are making open source software compatible. Even commercial software (games, editors etc.). My main question is what's the point from these feature requests if the companies using these don't provide results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main question is what's the point from these feature requests if the companies using these don't provide results.
I guess one basically best considers this Forum a one-way communication platform. 

Sometimes Adobe employees will acknowledge a bug and report whether it’s being worked on or comment on a feature request.
But they are seemingly not allowed to make announcements about the timeline of upgrades/updates and the planned fixes or new features for legal reasons. 

And if no Adobe employee chimes in at all the message will supposedly have been registered nonetheless.
Whether it will inform future decisions is naturally another issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOw many people only use Win or Mac because of Adobe?

I also have Linux, but most of the time I am using Win, cause I need to work with Adobe.

The future is Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is Unix OS design  which has been around since the 196x timeframe developed in Bell Labs.   IBM even made a Linux Watch in 1998-2004 I do not see the Linux winning the Watch market place any more than it is winning in the desktop market wars or tablet wars.    Unix seems to have won the server wars though.

Unix is more suited for the professional computer geek's then the masses it has not been developed for the masses its like 50 years old now.

Apple stopped developing their own OS when Steve switch Mac from the IBM power PC to Intel  hardware.  He had use Unix at Nextstep and knew it was better than  Apples OS7 and OS9.  So at the same time he  switched Apple to OSuniX.   Unix design is very flexible there is even a Linux flavor.

To win in the desktop market unix needs a good desktop shell  like apple has developed, good device support and good update support.    Apple has put many constraints on what they will approve so their users see applications with common user interfaces a more consistent user experience then Apple came out with IOS devices which made life more difficult sharing except for some cloud features. All sort hoops are needed to share files between systems. Apple has also had problem with newer Mac releases High Sierra and  Mojave.

The most used OS runs on a Linux kernel  Android however the horse power and device support needed for an Application like Photoshop  is not there.  Adobe stated they will have Photoshop CC app for iPad pro in 2019 however it will not has all the features of Desktop Mac Photoshop CC so Adobe may also develop a Android flavor of Photoshop CC.   Still how many users only use low power devices like Android and IOS devices. I believe IOS Photoshop will  be mainly used  as a interim step the real Photoshop work will continue to be done on Window and Mac machines.

Sill you could argue Linux is the most used OS when you include low power devices.

IMO Photoshop requires a desktop class machine Windows is more consumer orientated when it come to machine and device support manufactures support windows. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want adobe products on Linux go to here and hit the vote button and leave a comment

Yes, please support Linux. This would be a huge milestone. Thanks... – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to pump this up on list. I'm also using windows only because there's no Linux support

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i am a developer and designer, i use ubuntu for my work and need adobe photoshop. Most software developers use linux, in general, users must also design.

That the sea windows the most used operating system does not mean that the sea is the most suitable system to design, clearly the public objective of adobe is not primarily in windows but in mac. It makes me laugh as there are people who show the graphics about the use of windows and realize that we are not talking about people who use the computer to use excel in the office, but also the people who need to create designs and Linux is a very important group Along with OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

I know it's been awhile but I just noticed that there is still an open case concerning this issue. Thanks for all of the information. Was your issue resolved?

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux doesn't have much desktop share because most people can't deal with an unsupported OS, and there are a lack of desktop applications, like the entire Adobe Suite, Autocad and other programs. It's not just PS, it's all the apps.  

That being said, I'm a long time Mac user, but lately I'm getting tired of Apple's nonsense. I also used to work for MS, but despite that, and my vast knowledge of Windoze, I can't stand it. If the Adobe Suite was available for Linux I'd go build a new Linux machine in a heartbeat, load it with the Adobe Creative Suite and then vlog the entire thing and tag Apple on Twitter.

Alas, that will never happen, and GIMP will never be as good as PS. Windows will always be Windows, and as long as the iPhone has the bulk of the mobile phone market, Apple will ignore pro users, unless you an afford a $999 monitor stand.

But hey, again, if the Adobe Suite ran on Linux I would be at Fry's to build a new machine within seconds of hearing the announcement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club of Linux users! 😉

No Photoshop for Linux I'm afraid. As many mentioned here you have two choices:

- Ps on a Virtual Windows on Linux (I use Virtual Box)

- Ps through Wine project

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you're wrong, for many years that iphone is not the leader in the mobile market, android thanks to the diversity of distributors.

Linux does not have the largest share in the desktop computer market, but adobe does not target these types of users either (unless they do not know of commercial strategy). Linux has a good part of the users of application developers, to others, most of those who use Linux for development also use Windows. To say that Linux does not have the highest quota in the market is an error of ignorance. There are many users who also use Linux if they are willing to pay for an Adobe solution, in addition to its normal use in other operating systems. For example, many Windows users would transfer their use to Linux if Adobe supported it.

Gimp is not a good substitute for photoshop, but krita if thanks to the use of vectorization of layers, predefined styles and various tools, but still photoshop is more advanced and unfortunately, like microsoft has created a dependence on the market over the use of the psd format instead of having created a contribution to the community by creating free file formats compatible with other software, preventing the monopoly of software and operating systems duopoly.

Clearly Adobe is a company that cares more what it manages to sell to strive to understand the needs of people or their users as if they do the largest companies like Google, Amazon and Virgin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, I just wanted to chime in.  I used to be a big Windows user, but like everybody else here, I became tired of all the overhead that comes with windows.  Linux is light, and runs great.  Especially as a programmer, Linux is my platform of choice.

Now I am also into photography, and I use photo editing software frequently for web design projects.  Having Photoshop available on Linux would greatly increase my workflow.  Heck even though I'm already paying a subscription to Photoshop, I would even pay an extra premium just to help cover costs for a Linux port!

Like others have mentioned on this thread, there is definitely a market, and a lot of people would love to see this come to fruition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andrew,

I found this thread after experimenting the exact same issue myself. I suspected it was some sort of "memory corruption" issue (if that makes sense), and tried a lot of things: I copied / pasted the file to different directories, changed original file name / texture file name / save directory for the edit, all to no avail.

In the end, the thing that did the trick for me was:
1. Make a negligible change in the original file, just so I can save the file with ctrl + s.
2. After making that useless save, open the 3D texture.
3. Texture is being saved normally, and Photoshop is no longer crashing.

It's been a while since this thread was opened, but for what it's worth, I hope this may help you / anyone with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,
You give me Photoshop at even a higher price, I will finally ditch Windows forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate