• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Quick Export option to disable transparency trimming

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be an option to disable the automatic trimming of exported elements to their transparency.
The trimming makes it problematic to easily place the exported elements in other softwares, e.g. 3D and compositing.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
31 Comments
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henning can you tell me how the trimming makes it problematic? Perhaps a screenshot would be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can.
For example I have the following 3D projection setup:

In my Photoshop file I have two layers. The bottom one has the soccer ball painted out so it doesn't get projected onto the grass and gets visible when I move my 3D camera.

If I quick export the ball, it gets trimmed to the transparency of the layer and will not sit right on the ball in my 3D scene without changing the projector (zooming, panning and scaling (which would be idiotic)).

Here's how the projector "sees" the 3d scene, projecting the trimmed ball onto it:

I hope this does make it clear that although the trimming feature may be very helpful for many tasks, in this case it is not at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw: I hope this thread doesn't get less important in the urgency ranking if I just click on the happy smiley 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Please give option to NOT TRIM. For video and compositing work leaving the full frame size is necessary (for example 1920x180 HD) otherwise every trimmed asset will have to be hand placed to the pixel on the timeline with AE, PP, Avid, FCP, etc.

WORK AROUND - I have found that "padding" the layer works for full frame Quick Exports but creates two additional steps.
1. Create full screen Layer Mask (not Vector, must be Reveal All Layer Mask)
2. Quick Export as PNG
3. Delete Layer Mask.

Additional WORK AROUND - Use File | Export | Quick Export as PNG will give you full frame PNG (no trimming) but there are two caveats:
1. This will export all visible layers (for single layer you will have to turn off others)
2. The File name will be the name of your PSD not the name of your layer.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im also having an issue with "quick export PNG" and "export as" cropping transparency in the smart object. My assets are used in web and need to be saved out in a certain size. export as and quick export as png is cropping the file and not saving the complete dimensions of the smart object.  I can not find a way to turn that off. I am resulted to using the save for web legacy. It would save a lot of time if quick export and export as worked properly. 

how can i fix this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include my plea here as well - maybe it will revive the thread...

I have several PSD files all the same dimensions with different product photos placed inside. I use them as PSDs in InDesign with the transparency, but also need to export JPG and PNGs of the same art with the same dimensions so they are interchangeable. 

I notice so many "NEW" features are just the same thing with a new interface and gutted functionality of the old tried-and-true features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for a "disable trim" option. 

I'm using Photoshop to create graphics assets for 2D-games. Artboards and Export-As could potentially be very powerful, but currently they're only useful for a non-transparent result.

The way I see it, Photoshop currently has two broken export options:
- Save for Web is unusable because it wants to s-l-o-w-l-y render a preview every time you change an option.

- Export As is unusable because it's impossible to define cropping areas for image assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to keep specific canvas size for single / multiple images:

1. Choose multiple images from layer panel with shift + left mouse or right + left mouse
2. Click right mouse button on one of the selected layers 
3. Choose "Export as" from the popup menu

4. Choose those multiple images again from the left side panel
- Be patient, you have to wait for the images to load:
- First images load up - takes some time to complete
- Choosing images - takes some time to register

5. Change "Canvas size" on the right side, set it up e.g. 1920 x 1080 px
- Changing the width - takes time to register
- Changing the height - takes time to register

6. Photoshop will not trim the exported images.

This should be easier and faster.
Also Adobe, please add "Trim" checkbox to "export as" settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to disable trim option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work because it expands the canvas size based on the trimmed image, making it centered on canvas. The idea of exporting with full canvas size is to keep position (at least in my case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it keeps the position. Can you provide video or screenhot, it should work normally and not to center the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works well with icons that need an equal size transparent border on all sides, and are on their own separate layers.

Alternatively, when the icon/graphic is not centred within the transparent background try this:
File>Export>Layers to files...
If PNG is chosen as the exported file type there is an option to turn off 'trim layers'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I NEED this, I export probably 20+ items a day

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

i chose my canvas size for a reason. please do not override it without warning. it is simply not the expected behavior and causes me many issues.

WORKAROUND (also a pain but at least it works): flatten your image, then Save As... and select the filetype you would like to save as. this preserves the canvas size, even if there is transparency. After saving, undo the flatten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trimming a css spritesheet makes all of the coordinates change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Yes PLEASE include an option for no trimming AND keeping position on canvas. Doing many web res 3D renders and need them to all be centered and exactly 1500px X 1500px. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best option Ive come across is to make layer comps of your layers, then export> layer comps to files> png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cropping makes Quick Export unusable.  With any sort of game or asset workflow, you always need to export with a specific resolution and alignment.

Here's an easy to understand example.  Quick-export a layer, and then add the PNG as a smart object in another Photoshop document.  Now go back to the original document, make some changes and export it.  The smart layer is now aligned or sized incorrectly, since the PNG suddenly changed size.

Cropping the image on export just doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen! Adobe PLEASE make PNG trimming an OPTION. I personally would NEVER USE IT but I understand web devs do. Little option in Preferences - Yes or No  - Trim Quick PNG Export. Done! Sooner rather than later would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for no trimming. Took me hours to find out what's the issue in the first place - not very user friendly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a rectangular vector mask to layer or group is the most convenient workaround for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

What happened to trim option? I switched from CS6 to CC and the trimming option acts really weird... In CS6 it trimmed out all transparent pixels perfectly. In CC I don't understand at all what it is doing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for NO trim option.  This is less than ideal for game development which requires textures to be specific powers of 2. Very dissappointing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND THE SOLUTION. Merge the layers into one folder and then right-click on the folder and "Merge Group" then export as PNG, should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for no triming option, grinds my work flow to a halt

Votes

Translate

Translate