• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Restore the Resolution Box in Crop Tool

Engaged ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restore the Resolution box for the standard crop tool. Taking this away was not a good idea and adds to the workflow. Also would give consistency with the perspective crop tool which indeed does have the Resolution Box

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013
The resolution field in the options bar was added back in Photoshop 13.1.
(set the mode to W x H x Resolution)

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear I am referring to Photoshop CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ridiculous that Adobe took this feature out of the basic crop toolbar. Yeah, I could open a menu item to get this feature but why should I have to? Adobe supposedly removed the feature to prevent mistakes on the part of beginners, but people don't spend $600+ on a program not to learn to use it efficiently and effectively. Adobe took pains in its many JDI features to make Photoshop easier to use by incorporating features many users felt should have been in the program all along, so why remove one of the fundamental, useful features in the Crop toolbar.

Adobe: Please release a patch that restores the Resolution field to the Crop toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you all got rid of the resolution box with the crop tool in PhotoShop CS6. With previous versions, I could click the crop tool, type in the dimensions and resolution, and crop. Now, after cropping an image, I have to go through the additional step of going to Image Size just to set the resolution. I use the crop tool a lot, so this is a big problem for me. Please add the resolution box back to the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just press the R button when the crop tool is active and it'll do the trick (almost) its not as convenient but it certainly helps 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You're right, it does help a little bit, but it's still very annoying that Adobe removed the resolution box. Makes no sense. I wish someone from Adobe would comment and explain the logic behind their decision to remove one of the most important features for people who need to crop tons of photos. All they've done is add to my workload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i don't understand it either and that R overmenu is kinda very well hidden for something that i think... A LOT of persons were using 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been living with this limitation since it was released. No logical explanation from Adobe, and it smacks as if their GUI designers know better than the folks that use this tool to make a living.

And as I mentioned in my first post, why is there an inconsistency between the Cop Tool and the Perspective Crop which does have the resolution box.

Making some presets has helped but it really adds to the workflow and for bulk work where I am making multiple size prints the overhead adds up quickly and time is money.

So Adobe, you have the real estate on the tool bar, do the honorable thing and bring back the resolution box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm being driven nuts by this dreadful crop tool in CS6 the biggest mistake I made was to upgrade to a poorer functioning product

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but it would be more convenient if it was on the control panel. this really slows my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to type in the x,y and resolution is major important for me. I can not stand having to go "find" it in another location instead of the easy to use main location. At least give us the option to turn it back to the way it was (x,y,resolution).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution field in the options bar was added back in Photoshop 13.1.
(set the mode to W x H x Resolution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this update available for perpetual license users? If not still has not been fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should say chris, this feature should have never been removed in the first place.
AND you have to pay more for 13.1 so i consider it not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

asdfasdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one can explain this decision to break the work flow of thousands of professionals that use PS everyday.

Bought my first copy (2.5) in 1993 - have welcomed new features and tools. But this shows that we need to bring back a company like Macromedia to give Adobe some competition which requires them to ask "Will our customers be happy with this change?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rida taliani

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to CS6 because it will probably be the last non-cloud suite they will produce. I live on an island in SE Alaska. Internet access is not always as reliable as in the Lower 48.

I experienced frustration to the point of anger when I could not get to the Resolution box in the crop tool. This blog pointed me to the R key while in crop mode. I am pleased that I can set the two most common resolutions that I use (600 & 1200) as a preset. Even though I need to pull down a menu, it seems a bit faster to select the preset than it does to type it in as in CS5.

Thank you for the help Korinsama!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Ashill

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is it Chris? Ive reloaded CS5 for the crop and resolution tool only. It is a huge pain to use two programs. .......... AAaaaahhhhrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

How exactly does removing this feature improve PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix to this yet? ......... If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now the crop tool in CS 6 is broke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution field was put back in Photoshop 13.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't Adobe load the most current version of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK ... So I downloaded 13.0.6 ....... Why wouldn't PS just update to the current version? Where do I find 13.1? .... PS says "Your updates are all up-to-dateas checked: less than a minute ago. ....... I could do without this sort of garbage. .... Is 13.1 only available on subscription versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it seems that resolution in the crop tool is only available in the creative cloud version. That does not help me if I do not have creative cloud. I have had PS since 5.5, why does Adobe decide to remove resolution in the crop tool some 15 years later?

I think you should have mentioned that resolution in the crop tool was only available in the creative cloud version, in your post Chris.

What are my alternatives Chris? I have just paid for CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate